1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any handcoders here?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Colleen, May 18, 2005.

1. kc3

kc3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpad, yep yep, I love PHP coding. :) I know, Word Pad is very bad quality but it works doesn't it? I can still make websites faster than most people I know.

kc3, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  2. mikmik

mikmik Guest

Best Answers:

That is a dang good un! Man, it is nice, I am just starting to use it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

mikmik, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  3. rthurul

rthurul Peon

Best Answers:
    Try using Notepad++
    You'll be impressed with it... ;)

rthurul, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  4. daveson

daveson Guest

Best Answers:
    I am using NOTEPAD for coding

daveson, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  5. krt

krt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also recommend NotePad++ for HTML/CSS and small tasks, and Eclipse for larger projects.

daveson, why?

krt, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  6. rthurul

rthurul Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it free Eclipse? I have been using Zend for a while for PHP but I realised that sometimes until it will get opened I am no longer in a mood for programming... Not to mention it crashs all the time

rthurul, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  7. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you amish

Perrow, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  8. badremorse

badremorse Member

Best Answers:
    badremorse, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  9. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what I am doing. If it is something somewhat involved and I don't feel like writing a bunch of code, then I will use Visual Studio or something that I can use to switch to whatever code syntax I want like HTML vs XML, etc. However, I sometimes tend to be a control freak and like writing my own code. I haven't used Notepad++ but had a former boss who did a lot of PHP coding and loved it. I like Visual Studio because I can switch languages with a few clicks and have it highlight key words and automatically paste in the corresponding closing tag. Less typing is better for me... I only type about 40 wpm. I have heard that using a GUI editor like Frontpage can insert extra lines of code that makes the WYSIWYG stuff work, and can make your web app operate slower. I don't know if that is the case or not, but that is what I have heard. On another side of it I like using the editors for stuff I don't know how to do... just to figure out how to do it.

jjpmarketing, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  10. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Am I the only one confused as to how this thread came from two years old back to the front page? :D

Anyhow, i'm a handcoder. I like to use dreamweaver mainly because it helps you avoid the simple errors of not closing out tags and stuff. But I don't use any form of drag and drop system for my coding.

PHPGator, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  11. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit confused about that too PHPGator.

I'm a hand coder, I enjoy making sites XHTML strict (or transitional if they have to be), don't ask why.

twistedspikes, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  12. wdstuff54

wdstuff54 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started out in notepad 12 years ago:) I still use it sometimes because you are sure to not have the WYSIWYG add unwanted code which has messed me up for a few hours more then once.

wdstuff54, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Bumpity Bump Bump - at least nobody is attacking the bumper unlike some forums I could mention - or attacking a nube for NOT searching existing topics to post in on those same forums I could mention.

As to hand code vs. retard, notice my signature - nuff said. Even if you hand code I still say pitch all that stupid overhead and bloated crap in the trash.

deathshadow, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  14. webdesigner

webdesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Programmers Notepad here - Just find it easier to go in and type the code myself - means I know exactly what codes going in there and I can make sure its all lean, clean, tabbed and looking pretty. Can't stand untidy code.

webdesigner, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  15. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    I only hand code. Any other type of coding is a WASTE OF TIME and produces crap code.

You should see some of the code glorious dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors "create".

Total. Trash.

NoobieDoobieDo, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  16. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:

That was my bad. I simply tried to answer both the original question posted and the most recent post all in the same post. I didn't even pay attention to when the orignal post was created.

jjpmarketing, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  17. qeorge

qeorge Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Gridinsoft Notepad for all coding, I find it does a great job with syntax highlighting and bracket matching.

Link: http://notepad.gridinsoft.com/

Its also very easy to have it highlight a file in a language that doesn't match the extension - i.e. getting it to highlight CakePHP's .thtml files as PHP. Dreamweaver can do this but you have to hack it a little.

Beyond that, its just a very well written piece of software that does everything I want and little of what I don't. I do miss the parameter hinting that DW has, but having such a lightweight editor is well worth looking up some things on php.net time to time.

I handcode because I am extremely anal about the way my sites look and I hate bloated code. With all the IE bugs and such, I want to know everything about my code so I don't have to count on DW to know how to fix the double float margin bug, or similar problems. If I'm throwing up a site to just get a bunch of pages into Google's index, I obviously care a lot less, but if its a site for a client I want it perfect to the pixel and cross browser compliant.

Also, I'm an elitist, what can I say? :rolleyes:

qeorge, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  18. Napoleon

Napoleon Peon

Best Answers:
    I use notepad plus

Napoleon, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  19. lslars31

lslars31 Peon

Best Answers:
    I code everything by hand using Coda including html, php, asp, Everything!!! I can code faster than I can use one of those editors... so there's really no reason for me to switch. I also enjoy it and it helps me type faster for my college papers!! :D

lslars31, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  20. adams95ta

adams95ta Active Member

Best Answers:
    adams95ta, Feb 3, 2008 IP