1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to send millions / billions of emails in a day!!

Discussion in 'PHP' started by prashcom, Oct 26, 2007.

Hi,
    I want a php solution so i can send billions of message. I am really not too much friendly with email technology and dummy in this area.

So please sussest me what will be the best solution for this?

My problem is:
    1. How to send mails in bulk, if i am planning to launch a email solution like, http : // www . emailcenteruk . com

2. What all requirement we need in server

3. Is there any php inbulid library which we can use to send bulk mails,

4. How to make sure the mails are not going in spam, is php's SMTP class is the solution.

5. Is there anything called email server, if yes then how much useful that will be for this project?

6. If i want to send only 10K email daily/monthly then what u guys will suggest, apart from 1 billion in a day :) ?

Please answer this question i have lots of questions regarding email issue.

Thanks
    Prashant Agarwal

prashcom, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  2. wheener

wheener Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there are free email PHP scripts but I am unsure as to whether they can handle the ammount of emails that you are wanting to send.

wheener, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  3. bradical1379

bradical1379 Peon

Best Answers:
    Smells like a spammer.

bradical1379, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  4. rayqsl

rayqsl Active Member

Best Answers:
    Spammer alert

rayqsl, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  5. andrews

andrews Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP email function cannot handle it, 100% sure!

andrews, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  6. jakomo

jakomo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok,
    I dont know why you want to send billons of emails, is not my problem, you can use the mail function of php, you can have a database with all the emails, get the information from the database and send it with the function email, search email php in Google...

jakomo, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  7. baumann93

baumann93 Peon

Best Answers:
    Billions of emails in a database.... well, I think using a plain text file to store those email would be better. Actually, this is quite a simple task to write the script, more difficult task would be to find a server from which you could send that amount of email messages without being blocked.

baumann93, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  8. jakomo

jakomo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well,
    that is true, using a txt file could be faster than use database, is another way...

jakomo, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  9. tonybogs

tonybogs Peon

Best Answers:
    You cant just use the mail function here... It'd take DAYS to send that many emails out using one server.

You will need an entire cluster of servers to send out so many emails in any reasonable time period. For the time theyll be sending out the CPU is going to be MAXED OUT so they will need to be dedicated boxes aswell.

It will also depend on your mail server. A neat trick can be to shut down the mail servers, use PHP to write all the queue file then when you switch it back on the server will say "hey ive got all these to send" and start firing them off. To do this however youll need to know all about the email protocols which can be complex.

Also your boxes are likely to be black listed sending out so much email. Although you can try companies like Habeas.com to counteract this, but theyre expensive.

As a guide for you... I have an email list of around 500,000 emails which we use 5 servers to send to. It takes around 2 hours. Its an expensive process and took us around 6 months to build the infrastructure for it.

tonybogs, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  10. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Billions?

I've a script which I designed to send out email to millions....but not for billions.

Also, about my script, if it needs to send email to billion it needs a dual core dedi for few hours.

inworx, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  11. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Peon

Best Answers:
    >> I want a php solution so i can send billions of message

I'm a novice, but it seems to me that bandwidth will be an issue. If you want to send a billion messages, and each message was only 1KB, that would be a terabyte of bandwidth required. If you can afford that kind of bandwidth, I think you can afford to hire somebody who knows how to implement what you're looking for.

>> How to make sure the mails are not going in spam

Again, money. Services like Postini, MX Logic, Message Labs, etc., sell solutions for spam. Something of the scale you talk about is, I'm assuming, like Yahoo or Google mail, and will require a server farm, a number of dedicated network appliances, a team of engineers to design and develop the software, and a team of support staff because if you're handling that volume of messages, you WILL get calls about problems - probably tens of thousands of calls.

Of course, I'm a novice, and this is all guesswork on my part. I suggest you investigate things more closely, and discuss your ideas with people who have "hands on" experience with a project the scale of which is close to the magnitude you describe.

Good luck with your endeavors.

JustAnotherDude, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  12. prashcom

prashcom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi u all,
    Thank you very much for ur quicker response, thats way i prefer this forum : Digital Point. I always get my solution here..

Hey tonybogs, i am really looking for the same kind of solution, u r telling about...

ok if i say like this :

" I want to send about 500,000 marketing emails and think that send mail will get most of my messages to the jonk box. Is there any solution to avoid it."

Is PhpMailer is any good for this case?
    Or SMTP class or any PEAR classes to send this much volume?

Thanks Alot in Advance :)
    Prashant Agarwal

prashcom, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  13. gonka

gonka Peon

Best Answers:
    As an experieneced email marketer for many years, I can probably answer your questions better:

1) PHP will not work, it can be a user interface, but for mail delivery, you will need a customize made program at C level.

2) You need a large cluster of mail servers to deliver the emails.

3) You need at least 100 mbps of burstable port to send even millions per day

4) You need to follow the strict policies such as SPF and Yahoo domainkeys, again these need to be written at mail agent level to be able to send in such large volume.

5) A large pool of ips, a few C classes to rotate through the out going ips so you do not get blacklisted quickly.

6) And the last but not the least, who's your email list source? are they optin emails? if you are just bombing through emails off those email CDs, you can be sure your servers get shutdown within hours. You need good quality data these days to even make a profit.

Over all, if you don't have a good $50,000 to invest into the operation to start, forget it. Of course, you can go back to the so called PHPmailer, which sends through the standard Sendmail, gets you a few hundred thousand per day if you are lucky.0

gonka, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  14. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it looks that you are going to make spam;)

trichnosis, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  15. gota

gota Peon

Best Answers:
    Your mail server or MTA has options to do this. There is no sense using two resources just to send mail. sendmail and all other linux MTA(s), and windows based servers like merak, sambar, mailenable, hmailserver all have precaching feature, where you load a single message into the outbound envelope cache and attach a single envelope that the server uses to group mail by recipient domain, so mail is sent in (bulk), which is the most resource friendly way.

gota, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  16. bLuefrogx

bLuefrogx Peon

Best Answers:
    No, this is a bad bad idea. I like gota says, an envelope is a much better solution ;)

@tony, 500k emails in 2 hours with 5 servers? That's far too long.

bLuefrogx, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  17. tonybogs

tonybogs Peon

Best Answers:
    Hahaha :)

The emails are newsletters at around 80K in size...

If you can send faster trying to dodge all the problems mass email marketing to a list of that size brings then i wish you good luck and might even pay you to come up with a solution for me :)

tonybogs, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  18. madmax728

madmax728 Banned

Best Answers:
    You can do it, take about 200 hosting packages from different hosting providers. Each account is allowed to send 50 max per hour I think. So hourly you'll be able to send 200*50 = 10000

madmax728, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  19. lowridertj

lowridertj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. server
    -Has to rotate the ip its sending from every 3-5 minutes so not to be blocked and marked as spam.

2. mailing
    -to most of your amazement it can be done with php mail settings however is done at a rate no more then 25k an hour within the php4.4.7 - current php 5

This is still not a recommended solution and you would be hounded over spam as each ip will likely be posted as spam.

Rotating recyclable proxy's is a better solution but not 100% fool proof

lowridertj, Oct 30, 2007 IP
  20. kingfish

kingfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Are there even 1 billion people on the planet that have email?

kingfish, Oct 31, 2007 IP