1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New PR Algorihtm?

Discussion in 'Google' started by ron21, Oct 26, 2007.

1. dsakella

dsakella Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the new algo depends on content. Especially quality, unique daily updated content.
    At least this factor is given more weight.
    I wouldn't be sure but this is what I understood by checking various of my sites.

dsakella, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  2. yudhis97

yudhis97 Peon

Best Answers:
    yudhis97, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  3. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think its the same algorithim. I got a couple of high PR links like usual and bang i went to PR4. Can someone please answer my question i posted in this thread a few posts ago!!!

joey112, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  4. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think there is some problems with the export, YouTube.com is now showing PR3. With over 28m backlinks on Yahoo! I think there is something not 100%

pablo, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  5. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Tool bar PR and ranking are two different animals.

bogart, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  6. tradedemon

tradedemon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have had most of my sites demoted, but 2 NEW sites have shot up to PR5 and PR6 respectively.

The main thing here is that all my sites that lost PR ranks are still ranked highly for many great terms, not one move, most of them are all #1 top position on google and are still bringing me in the traffic that i need. Hence no change for me.

I guess if you have a model where you rely on advertising your PR to sell links inorder to get revenue then you're screwed IMHO.

Im sure google will come out with some announcement, or i hope they do.. :)

tradedemon, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  7. sitemarker

sitemarker Guest

Best Answers:
    If you tell me URLof that site, we'll find out together if its back to its previous PR like most of the big sites have.

As mentioned in this thread, the lost of PRs is mainly due to the extensible changes Google made on the PR ToolBar....and not a true reflection of the site's PR...

This is why sites such as problogger.net had a PR6 that went down to PR4, then back up again to PR6

Hopefully when things become more 'stable' with these algo, then we're bound to see its real PR

sitemarker, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  8. cheapest

cheapest Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow..that is great... what you did with your site???

cheapest, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  9. pedring

pedring Banned

Best Answers:
    For today my site gain PR 0-3 but it will not help you to increase traffic thats why I focus on SERP and not on PR.

pedring, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  10. Cosmo Designs

Cosmo Designs Peon

Best Answers:
    youtube.com is PR3 on the toolbar but PR8 on some datacenters. :rolleyes:

Cosmo Designs, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  11. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    If this is indeed the case they would have rendered the toolbar completely useless. Why not simply remove it altogether?

Certainly they can manually lower anything they want but doing so really serves no purpose. If they're simply changing the logarithmic value for the export, then the display for all sites would have to move in the same direction. Early on it seems that's not happening.

If they are devaluing certain types of links so they no longer pass value, then the ones that do pass value would pass more.

It makes no sense to me to inaccurately display the export on some sites but not the others. Because if the lowerings are an accurate reprensentation, then gains would have to be displayed as well.

If they are not accurate, then all the are telling public that uses it, for any reason, is that their viewable reperesentation of how "important" a particular page is, is a bogus representation that does not reflect what they really think.

I wouldn't be a bit surpised to hear "bad data push" yet again.

Dave

CrankyDave, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  12. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    Just as a follow up to my last comments...

Does anyone that has a page that is currently displaying a PR5 on the toobar really think that Google considers their page just as important as Forbes.com?

What does that tell the random surfer?

Dave

13. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could the reason for the PR drop be due to sites like CNN.com? They've got sooo many backlinks and sooo many pages with PR that's they're setting the bar, and it's making it harder and harder for other sites to keep up...

tarponkeith, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  14. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Danny Sullivan wrote in his article Official: Selling Paid Links Can Hurt Your PageRank Or Rankings On Google that -

Google stressed, by the way, that the current set of PageRank decreases is not assigned completely automatically; the majority of these decreases happened after a human review. That should help prevent false matches from happening so easily.

In addition, Google said that some sites that are selling links may indeed end up being dropped from its search engine or have penalties attached to prevent them from ranking well

It appears that Google is having problems dealing with paid links algorithmically and have decided to give out 'manual penalties'

bogart, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  15. mji2010

mji2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    youtube went to pr 3 and no backlinks? my pages went from n/a to pr 4

mji2010, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  16. ShaunG

ShaunG Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, here is a weird one for you guys. I have one site that was a PR4, it is about 6 years old. It did not have many backlinks, but the ones it did have were not paid for and were relevant. We have a big network of sites and all of them link to this site although the rest are not interlinked in any way. This site was just revamped completely about 2 months ago. We have never sold links or bought links. The home page is now a PR1, the rest of the pages that are linked from the home page are PR2, and one page linked from the home page is a PR3.

And most of the high PR/older sites on the server dropped, none went up, a few of the newer ones (past 2 years) stayed the same.

I'm pretty confused....my SERPs have not changed for the site I was referencing above.

ShaunG, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  17. tradedemon

tradedemon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually it does sound pretty funny that a site like youtube.com is PR3, obviously its the most popular video site on the net so in terms of page importance PR3 is way below the belt.

im sure there might be some re-adjustment but again the point remains that if you care about page rank this much, you're doing something wrong. Google searh Engine rankings are more important and those havent changed.

tradedemon, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  18. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  19. adsense4money

adsense4money Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let's wait some days before drawing conclusions, things are sooo messy right now that I don't think there is any logic. Only time will tell.

adsense4money, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  20. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    By initiating "manual PR penalties" and not incorporating those penalties into the PR calculations across the entire web they render their toolbar data useless. That's not to suggest it was exceptionally "useful" before. :)

Dave