1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Writing absolute crap?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Taler, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    We'll be glad to have you. :p

internetauthor, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome, and I certainly do hope that you'll register. :)

I actually just finished editing that post on crunching the numbers. It now has the results of what you would need to charge hourly to earn anything from $10k - $100k per year, to save people the time of plugging it all in themselves. :)

jhmattern, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. deepower

deepower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rhino's post states "i am like to purchase you work for 100 word per .50 as going rate here." He is offering to pay .005 a word. So 1000 words would be $5.

I have a free report Convert Your Words to Cash: Make Money on the Internet by Writing. You can download a copy at http://www.waystomakemoney.com/$writing.html

Dee

i and my partner group are prepared to buy up to 1000 word article

deepower, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  4. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $1 per 100 words "is" the going price on DP for crap.

For that price you can get someone to push as many buttons on the keyboard as they can for about five minutes

Unfortunately writing also requires language skills, imagination, knowledge and intelligence.

All of which cost a good bit more.

In order to get a good result you have to pay a knowledgable writer sufficient money to research the subject, concieve and render an interesting story. Then proofread and edit it to a reasonable end product.

livingearth, Oct 25, 2007 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  5. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    After the last two projects I've been offered (here on DP) I'm happy to say that my view of some of the webmasters on here has increased. I thought $0.01 a word was the maximum you could get off DP, but $0.05 appears to be the new rate. Not a lot for some people, but pretty decent for a college student :)

The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I think you meant $1 / 100 words or something similar. $1 / word is a very good rate. ;)

jhmattern, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  7. Foggy

Foggy Link and Site Buyer

Best Answers:
    For some of the talent I employ I pay a rate of $0.20, $0.50 and more. (No, don't hammer my inbox with PMs requesting those prices unless you have something exceptional to offer. If your understanding of exceptional is different to mine your PM will get binned without the courtesy of a reply).

I've had great success finding good writers here in DP.

Foggy, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  8. The Emirates Gallastico

The Emirates Gallastico Banned

Best Answers:
    Sending PM now... :D

I've seen some good writers here too, although they tend to stay out of the Content Creation section. Maybe because they have people coming to them, rather than the other way around :p

The Emirates Gallastico, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  9. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    That's exactly right.

Almost all of my projects come to me through referrals. I never advertise in the Content Creation section, nor do I bid for jobs listed there. I don't have to!

If you are a writer worth your salt and know how to both market yourself effectively AND network, there's no reason why you should have to resort to gigs paying .01/word or less.

DeniseJ, Oct 25, 2007 IP
    Foggy likes this.
  10. Foggy

Best Answers:
    I agree that if you're good at what you do there's no reason to jump into the $0.01 market. However, by never advertising or bidding you may be restricting earnings to your existing price band.

There's one PM as a result of last post that I've replied to ... so it was worth the gamble making that post ;)

Foggy, Oct 26, 2007 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The point isn't that you should never advertise. It's that if you're good at what you do, and you network and market yourself effectively, you should get to a point where you never (or rarely) need to advertise yourself directly. The idea is that your schedule should already be filling up with the higher paying gigs without having to "look" for them at all based on referrals and people coming to your naturally through blog posts, forum posts, articles, etc. if you're doing all of that effectively. :)

jhmattern, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  12. Beakerwriter

Beakerwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I've started getting to that point. I have enough people coming to me to make a part-time income, but to make it full time I still have to search out work regularly. I'd love to get to the point that I don't have to search anymore at all.

Beakerwriter, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  13. Digital_Developer

Digital_Developer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good Advise about Hiring a copy editor. How much would they usually charge and what would they do?

Digital_Developer, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  14. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    It's not that I don't advertise... I simply choose not to advertise in forums like DP.

Any clients I choose to work with through DP come to me through referrals, and they don't complain about my rates. I have no desire to work for clients who don't understand the true value of well researched and well written content.

DeniseJ, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  15. deepower

deepower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know several writers who hang around DP that are well qualified, including myself. That's not a brag, it's the truth. It bothers me - a lot - when someone makes a blanket statement that quality writers aren't here. We are, we're just not hawking our writing.

For writers who are beginning, or who are 'hobby' writers, it's tough to break in. Don't fall for the trap that you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. IE. take the penny a word jobs and build up to a quarter a word. That isn't how it works. Penny a word jobs begat (it's a biblical term) penny a word jobs.

People who hire at a penny a word, or less, aren't good references. They're not looking for quality. They need quantity. If they happen to get quality in the bargain, I'm not sure they appreciate it. That's a generalization but.......

Somebody once asked me how fast I write. They said they wrote at 100 words a minute, because that's how fast they typed. I wrote 2000 words on weight loss in an hour. I know the subject (not that I need to lose weight you understand). On the other hand it took me 4 hours to write a 500 word article on Forex because I know nothing about the subject and don't like the topic. Keep in mind I have a background in finance. 4 hours is a lot of time when you're making a penny a word.

To write is not to simply parrot back in rearranged word sequences something you find at wikkipedia or about.com or ezinearticles.

If you're a writer, don't give up. And don't give in. You sell yourself when you write. A piece of you goes into every word. So don't sell yourself cheap.

Over and Out for today.

Dee

deepower, Oct 26, 2007 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  16. rhino56

rhino56 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL i was just being funny, im twisted like that :D

rhino56, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  17. ibstimes

ibstimes Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the warning. Any luck finding anyone good?

I'm looking to fill mysite with hundreds of articles

ibstimes, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  18. Foggy

Best Answers:
    ibstimes, that's a brazen post, particularly on this page. Did slitting your wrists prove to be a less than effective way of committing suicide?

Foggy, Oct 27, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  19. Beakerwriter

Beakerwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I finally took a look at the Content Creation section. What a wretched hive of scum and villainy. The writers there were horrendous and only had their cheap price to recommend them. Their samples were bad and even their sales pitches were full of grammatical errors. But, they were getting pages full of requests! I'm just not getting the point of wasting money on this. Why do people want shoddy work? I guess it's hobbyists who aren't serious about marketing and just want to feel like official business people by paying someone to do something. It must be the online equivalent of playing house.

Beakerwriter, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  20. Oosha

Oosha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt if buyers would be wasting money just to ''feel like official business people'.

There are many reasons for hiring writers. Some clients simply hate to write and are more than happy to pay someone else do it for them. Others enjoy writing but do not have the time. Still others cannot put pen to paper (in this case, type).

Since many clients have no opportunity to buy the premium articles because of high rates, they look for cheaper articles. There are others that may have found some very good writers willing to work at low rates.

Just as you cannot blame writers for working for low rates, you cannot blame a client for buying articles at low rates. Everyone has their own reason for doing what they do.

Oosha, Oct 28, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.