1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory PR Adjustments

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Oct 23, 2007.

1. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Interesting. So do many SEO companies use PR as their first factor when deciding if the price echos value for money?

Interesting. I hate free directories as there is so much work - so many submissions (most of which are spammy) to review for free, its a lot of unpaid work. Best of luck with it:)

mikey1090, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  2. wasabiventures

wasabiventures Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We once ran a free directory, but turned it into a paid directory to just eliminate the spammers. Mikey is right... it is a lot of work to weed out the junk.

wasabiventures, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess so as they have e-mailed me regarding this matter. But meanwhile they are also submitting to other sites too since they have orders to fulfill. I guess it all comes down to the owners decision then if you want to satisfy your clients. So meanwhile I could adjust to a level pricing and will let them know of the temporary changes. But if there will be a good chance that it will be constant and more recommendations from them I think I will just stick to it.

@wasabiventures
    I know what you mean and will be thinking about it again. And thanks for the approval too. :)

Thanks again.

popotalk, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  4. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I'm definitely not understanding this. But after reading your post I have a question; a serious question:

Is there a different between chasing PR and peddling it?

an0n, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It should be obvious that they are one in the same..

The whole idea of whats been happening here is that "PR" wont be bought or sold anymore and
    any high ranking sites whether an advertising company to some massive companies like
    Washington post and countless others have also been hit now.

I believe that very shortly we will see that most sites will rank as high as 3-4-5 and only
    selected sites that are of historical value or deemed extremely valuable resources intertwined
    with traffic stats will be the higher rankings site and final desired algo they seek.

My only question is why didnt they just remove the pagerank altogether?
    or atleast hide it to where its not accessible to the viewing public rather have
    what transpired happen the way it did ..

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thing is malcolm, I see popotalk doing exactly that based on his posts.

So is it safe to say that he's gone from a reformed PR Chaser to a PR peddler?
    As you mentioned, they are one in the same and I personally see no difference in the then and now either. Same O' Same O'
    (and this isn't no cry foul omg the sky is falling 'attack', all people need to do is read the posts. Its being clearly stated from within them.)

It's like LakeCountry mentioned in another thread

an0n, Oct 25, 2007 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  7. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thing is you didnt answer my question :)

My only question is why didnt they just remove the pagerank altogether?
    or atleast hide it to where its not accessible to the viewing public rather have
    what transpired happen the way it did ..

Also... Has anyone been seeing fluxs in DCs concerning indexed pages?
    one day i see 500 then see 850 then right back to 500..????
    Duplicate or mirrored indexs now?

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  8. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I don't see any change in PR of my directories nor my sites.

Mr_Kumar, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean the directory itself? I am uncertain of what you're asking me here.

None that I have actually paid attention to lately.

an0n, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  10. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The whole story makes me sick... It like biting the hand who feeds you. I remember the times when baby G was just a tiny search engine. People (us) made G popular and it seems that we just created a monster. Google grew up so fast because we love it, because we wanted to...
    Some people said..."it's their business, they can do what they want..." wrong - I always thought google belongs to everyone, it's part of everyone's internet experience...silly me...
    Just thinking that someone have the power to tell me what to with my sites, when and where to add "no-follows", brrr...pretty scary, isn't it?
    They just become to greedy...this is the truth behind everything else. They saw new companies coming up with better advertising concepts, they've seen people making money from selling links, so what? so what if they take PR as their measurement? (TLA's case) , so what?
    I think they are a bit scared that one day someone will make more money than them, that one day Adsense will be completly useles and people will go for something new and better. "Divide et Impera" - this is what's going on now, sadly...
    I wish Yahoo or MSN will take advantage of this situation by coming up with something new and unique...that would be a lesson on how to raise and fall.
    By taking this sort of action against Washington Post or any other important site out there, they just proved how silly they are... I doubt Washington Post ever advertised something like "buy high PR links on our homepage". In their case it's only about the traffic, not PR.
    I'm sick of them and I'll switch back to Yahoo even if it's not any better. At least they don't play with people's dreams...

BTW... none of my sites lost PR. More than that a few weeks ago one of my dirs had about 15 inner pages updated from 0 to 2.

loredan, Oct 25, 2007 IP
    indyguidedotinfo likes this.
  11. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say there is.

Big difference.

IMO, one can acquire PR by using creative techniques.

Peddling PR would mean to try to sell it I guess.

adnan, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  12. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    that is just like i feel. they are biting the hand that made them who they are today.

indyguidedotinfo, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh Ok. Thanks for the member that PM'ed to advice the clients to look for the best to make sure the pages are cached or recently cached otherwise they are useless.

Your explanation is clear. Thanks ;)

14. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes malcolm i noticed that too, i have too many websites am not gonna monitore the indexed pages anymore, its crazy, one day i have over 6500 indexed pages, next day its 3400 then the day after 4600.. i give up trying to understand :) one thing that i'll recommand to all directories owners try not to have empty categories, those are the first pages to disapear from the index.

funkymario, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And here I am talking about cached pages. :p

Seriously, I thought that category listings should be grown organically and in due time. That was a recommendation. ;)

16. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    popotalk
    I think it should be pointed out that the pr of directories have not been devalued and I have never seen any evidence that it ever has. I still see plenty of sites which have links coming only from directories and have kept their pr. Granted some did drop by a point or two but pr is still being passed from directory links. So for me directory links are still a good source for link building.

In regards to price I can not speak for other directory owners as each owner will charge in a manner that fits them best. For me I have never charged based on pr, when I first started I charged $35 and the reason for that was because I only wanted the serious webmasters to submit and not just a bunch of spammers. I later changed the price to $25 as I felt this price would be fair for everyone and would help pay the bills for promotion cost. Even when the directory hit pr6 I did not change from the $25 I kept it the same. I do not see a need to change pricing right now or any other time because the webmasters who submit do so because they see the overall value of the listing and just the pr. To this day I continue to get submission at the same pace as always, although there was a few slow days this month but nothing major.

Don't switch things up just because google is making a change unless you really think it is necessary to do so. In the end it is your directory and you can do whatever you want, submitters will either like it or they won't.

banless, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Marlin for the feedback always nice to hear from professionals. That is good to know not some Britney Spears spearing of rage.

Thanks. ;)

18. maleenhancement

maleenhancement Peon

Best Answers:
    Give it time. I wouldn't pay $25 for a link from ANY directory now. This coming from someone who does NOT own a directory but knows how to market sites. No offense.

maleenhancement, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  19. lohan

lohan Guest

Best Answers:
    Interesting. What do you consider to be a reasonable fee? Was PR ever a factor when link building? What sort of attrition do you expect? What sort of shelf life do you expect from the links that get approved?

lohan, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  20. Funster

Funster Peon

Best Answers:
    Page rank has gained a foothold because it's easily verified and it's Google. Yes, they have way too much power where a drop in page rank can signal a SEPR drop which adversely affects people's income. They have the largest market share. It would be nice if MSN or Ask made a big market share move but I'm not holding my breath.

Some of these drops seem reasonable, other's do not. I don't blame Google for wanting to show most relevant quality sites for a given search. They have a ways to go in that department as many of my searches bring up marginally relevant information on the first page. In the end, it's all a bit unfathomable.

Funster, Nov 2, 2007 IP