1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scam - "TLG*GREATFN" transactions on Credit Card statement

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by maverick, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wtf! I just got my credit card statment and was billed $119.99 from tlg great fun. I know when i charge something and i certainly didn't charge over 100 bucks for this thing. After telling the employee that i didn't want to a 1 month free membership and only want my money back he finally refunded me. I hope the money comes off in 10 to 15 days or i'll be calling them backup with a attitude. I was nice just now on the phone i think.

Now i'm trying to backtrack to see what sites i have used my credit card at. Good thing after this refund balance will be zero. I'm just canceling the card. Then work on the big card i owe money on. lol

Already my week suck's. It's only monday.

snakeair, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  2. Quantan

Quantan Banned

Best Answers:
    I dont have any credit card :D

Quantan, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  3. garysgir80

garysgir80 Peon

Best Answers:
    I called them again today and told them that I was told 10 days ago that I would get a refund. Today I was told that I would get 4 months worth of a refund. I am not going to wait...I am going to the media, and the Attorney Generals office. They have to be stopped and NOW! :mad:

I still don't know how that got my information and I am ticked off about it

garysgir80, Aug 22, 2007 IP
  4. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    That's very bad garygirl - for how long you were being charged for this false transaction? I was charged for 3 months, and I got refund for all from my credit card company.

Hope you would get all refund.

maverick, Aug 22, 2007 IP
  5. idbar

idbar Peon

Best Answers:
    If you try to buy something from shoebuy.com, you'll be automatically signed up for Travelers Advantage (travelersadvantage.com), they will send you a membership card (I almost discard, but my sister outside the US never received) which indicates that you have been enrolled to their service.

If you don't have that membership number you'll be having as many troubles as you want to cancel your membership. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem (as it wasn't for me). However, my sister is now being charged 11.99 each month reporting to be that TLG*GREATFN.

Thus, I recommend:
    A. Don't shop at shoebuy.com (if you can, they refused to sell anything to a foreing, but enrolled my sister into it).
    B. Do not discard your mail so quickly, first check what you are getting among all that amount of trash they normally send.

If you are being charged for 11.99 talk get in touch with the people at travelers advantage. I think that depending on where did you get your "membership" they charge differently. And double check your email for receipts close to one month before you started getting charged (they usually give you the "first month for free").

Good luck. I hope I can get rid of my sisters charges since she never got the membership card because she has never lived in the US.

idbar, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  6. snezhinka

snezhinka Peon

Best Answers:
    I was also scammed... Tell me please greatfn's email that you wrote!!! By the way, have you recieved a refund?

snezhinka, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  7. kdlovesrd

kdlovesrd Peon

Best Answers:
    I too am the recent victim of an authorized amount of $11.99 taken from my bank account from "TLG Great Fun 1-800-242-7771 CT" as of today, 10-25-2007. I called the company first and it gave me an automated message saying something about a membership and to call back at 9:00 a.m. eastern time. I've already called the bank and closed the ATM card and asked for dispute paperwork so I can get my NSF fees back. I've also contacted the Texas Attorney General's office and filed an online complaint as well as contacting the Federal Trade Commission and filing an online complaint with them too. They are messing with the wrong person. I intend to call the company back and to tell them the call is being recording and that according to Federal Regulation E, Section 205.11, they must investigate and resolve the claim of fraudulent charges posted to my account and give me a cancellation/reimbursement. Let's see what happens! :mad:

kdlovesrd, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  8. kdlovesrd

kdlovesrd Peon

Best Answers:
    So, I called the TLG Great Fun # listed on my bank account posting (1-800-242-7771) and spoke with "Jane" (funny because she sounded like a Pakistani/Indian with a "white" name) regarding the "membership" they said I enrolled in when I ordered a $10.00 magazine subscription to Motor Trend. What's funny is she said I signed up for a $20 rebate on the amount (bogus!) and that's how I was enrolled. I never signed up for any sort of rebate on anything because I hate rebates -- plus, why would I sign up on a $20 rebate when I only paid $10 to begin with?! What a crock of crap! After a heated discussion where "Jane" kept giving me her spiel on what the membership benefits entailed (mind you, I kept saying "I want to cancel" multiple times throughout her 3-4 minute spiel), I said I want to cancel whatever bullshit they signed me up for and to let them know I've filed a complant with the FTC and my state's AG office and will also file a complaint with THEIR state's AG office (Connecticut), she tranferred me to her Supervisor. The Supervisor apologized for the error and I told him it's too late for apologies b/c you fradulently took money from me without my knowledge telling me I consented to YOUR company's deduction of the $$ when I was buying a magazine from a DIFFERENT company. So, its supposed to take "10 business days" for my refund of $11.99 and I also have to file a dispute with my bank to be given back any overdraft fees I may have incurred because of their theft!

kdlovesrd, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  9. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Search for GREATFN on Google,#1 = DP.

I too was amazed :D

IT

Correctus, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  10. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    This is the craziest noob thread ever. :eek:

Are these all coming from google, or someone is changing IP's?

KingofKings, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  11. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    I am back here at this thread of mine after so many months. I started this thread around 3 yrs back, and when we search "TLG*GREATFN" in Google, this thread is on top rankings.

I think people who see this scam transaction ID with "TLG*GREATFN" in their credit card statement, they search it and land up here. Few of them register here and become noobs.

When I searched for it few years back, there were only 3-4 search results. And today you see so many ... that shows how many people were cheated by this company.

maverick, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  12. dustin0

dustin0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    First I would call Buy.com up and let them know if this and ask them if they know anything. If they dont call your credit card company and ask them for a contact phone. 90% of the time they will have a phone number for you to call. But your credit card company can also fill a disput.

dustin0, Oct 31, 2007 IP
  13. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, In my case, My credit card company helped me to get back my money...

maverick, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  14. MissTink

MissTink Peon

Best Answers:
    i just got this charge this morning. i am going to my bank in 20 minutes when it opens. i was reading some of the post and it doesn't make sense to me... i bought a ticket from orbitz almost a year ago, but it was on my credit card that is linked to my debit card, but different account numbers. I typically only things i do online with my bank card is pay bills and clothing on yesstyle.com but i recently did by a costume online from yandy.com

my bank had me actually call the corporate office of the bank, and all i did was told them what happen, and without question they just automatically starting filing a fraud report. this must happen often.

MissTink, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  15. Royman3149

Royman3149 Guest

Best Answers:
    :mad:These scumbags tried to hit me for $119.99 on my credit card and I caught it just in time. Never heard of this company but I will be calling them to get the charges off first thing Monday.
    I will most definitely refer this problem to the authorities or "powers that be" to get these people stopped.
    They are probably scamming a lot of elderly people who are not sure if they made the charge so they pay it anyway to make sure they don't mess up their credit history.
    :mad:

Royman3149, Dec 1, 2007 IP
  16. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    My god, I am just scared now... this thread is still bringing new people aboard who are cheated one or the other moment... it's still happening since last 3 years with so many people.... Why can't credit card companies just ban this fraud company in one go.

This is very very disheartening to read about poor elderly people what you mention here Royman... this company need to be banned forever for any business.

maverick, Dec 1, 2007 IP
  17. JoefromNY

JoefromNY Peon

Best Answers:
    you can add me to the list of those being scammed by TLG. They apparently have linked up with a lot of online retailers. When you checkout, some popup comes up, and if you click on it, they transfer all your credit card and other personal info from the sale you just made, and start charging you. I don't know if they actually sent me membership material or not. I get a lot of junk mail. If its not from some place I recognize, I throw it in the trash.

This must be their business model. They count on people not paying attention, and get away with charging a lot of people, a lot of money before they're caught. There must be potential for a class action law suit here. I'd love to see these people out of business.

As for disputing this with your credit card company, I checked with my credit card online dispute, and for this charge, it says it can't be disputed because "it's a third party transaction". I have no idea what that means. It sounds like I'm the first party, the original vendor is the second party, and TLG is the univited third party. Any lawyers out there?

It seems what they're doing is criminal; or should be if its not. I'm going to try to find a place to make an official complaint about them. BTW. the person that mentioned the cust rep he spoke with had an english name, and an Indian accent; I had the same thing. Her name was Michele, but she had a strong Indian accent, going on and on how great their program is.

JoefromNY, Dec 11, 2007 IP
  18. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    What the... Forty Six thousand views?

Correctus, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  19. Patti

Patti Peon

Best Answers:
    My only consolation is that I am not alone. I actually talked to this company. They told me I had signed up for their service on Dec 6, 2006 at cooking.com and received a $20. rebate and was told I would have to pay a monthly fee. I NEVER did this that I recall. It makes me realize I need to be more careful what I do, and to check my statement better. I actually entered each of these transactions on my computer under misc. How dumb can ya get??? It has been since January 2007...DUH.

Patti, Dec 26, 2007 IP
  20. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have that on my statement as well. Thanks for the info.

AngelaE8654, Mar 14, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.