1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Directory Owner Members where are they now !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Oct 22, 2007.

?

Which would you Prefer in the DP Directory Category

1. That the category is beneficial to all POSTERS

69.9%
  2. That the category IS TAKEN OVER BY TROLLS

30.1%
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. There are directories which have always followed the rules (it's not a long list but they exist) and their value has been hurt by the actions of others. If some of us appear to be gloating, that's part of the reason.

1. those "who who admit they may have made a few mistakes but is willing to improve" aren't the ones that are being "slammed" - it's the ones who are still insisting that this is all a mistake or a temporary Google glitch or who think if they just don't mention the word "PageRank" all will be well - see Mikey's post below for an example of that.

2. those "one sided views which have no substance" have plenty of evidence to support them - ignore them if you insist but that won't return you to the heady days of fast money.

Now THAT is comedy! :D

minstrel, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Lets have it then. The truth never hurts. Whats on your mind? But just to keep on topic here is another example of why guests seldom bother to register and participate.

workshop, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  3. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On that topic, i have not seen anyone provide any solid grounds or support for the arguement other than the few lines repeated over and over. ( nor am i really intersted in debating it over and over again )

I do not know you and in that i am not ignoring your words, i just choose to look at things another way.

I wont be returning to anything as i was not there to start with, but i do agree that i am not in this for fast money, it is long term over many years.

In that and with respect to you, i will not continue to talk about what can and can not be done, i have listened to 1000 variants of why something cant be done, put forward by people who may or may not have any real understanding of the suject and more importantly our private business plans, i will quietly go off and find one way it can be done.

DownUnder, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Bizarrely you keep going off topic, understandably your trying to pull attention from what im talking about today.

It is not what is on my mind, i have announced to you above.

Im not suprised that you still dont have the sense to know when to stop.

pipes, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  5. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Even though I don't know most of these guys/gals I wish them the best and I am sure they know they're always welcome back at DP!!

FPForum, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  6. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah. Because we all wanna spend one thousand bucks to get a pr0 link from zorg links dont we :rolleyes:

mikey1090, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  7. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    Haha, good point Mike.
    I bet he will have answer to this too, no doubts.

balkanboy, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    First, that's Toolbar PR, as you know.

And of course, all those bidders want to pay $1400 to be on top for the traffic from your bidding directory because we all know how much traffic Zorg is going to deliver, don't we?

It's not difficult to come up with a response to absolute and obvious nonsense.

9. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Why else would they bid? They do it for the "buzz" - the traffic/exposure it brings. I can safely say that the first 6 links on my homepage are for that reason as the owners themselves have said it. I can also account for another 5 of the sites. The rest may do it for PR, but thats not possible since i dont pass any PR to them.

10. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They are many hypothesis in life and the internet is similar for many but for sure

TRAFFIC

is a stand out statistic :cool:

britishguy, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Toolbar PR = 0. What is actual PR? Isn't it likely that people are buying links for estimated PR? Wasn't that discussed in some of the threads about your directory and others?

And the traffic you deliver is to other directory owners, which is part of the whole interlinking thing that Google just punished. What is the value of any of the links in that directory to the average surfer? How much traffic does it deliver to directory sites? How much traffic does it deliver to non-directory sites?

Did you actually read that post about the real estate penalties?

12. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That article was interesting but didnt help me much. yes i link to lots of directories, who also link to lots, who also link to lots. I have said before that this does look like a giant link swap to a robot, but not a lot can be done about that.

The site is still young. I am penalised in google, so paid adverts and other traffic is what my site gets. So it has a significant webmaster skew. I monitered outgoing traffic during spetember, and although innacurate for various reasons, it seems that sites in the blogs category, web design category etc got simlar traffic sent to the directories category.

As for those that you think are estimating pagerank, and spending a few hundred bucks on their guessing of googles algorithm, then they are foolish. Like i said in the previous post, the bids on the homepage do not pass pagerank.

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    They may be foolish. I can't see anyone spending that kind of money on a bidding directory hoping only for traffic unless they are trying to run up the profile of their own directories.

If you are using javascript or no-follow on those links, do you make customers aware of that fact BEFORE they shell out the cash? And what about links elsewhere in your directory?

14. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Everyone has the ability to check for nofollow. I have said all along homepage bids are for traffic, not PR. This was the only way to enforce it. If my homepage was PR5, inner pages would likely be 4. If they wanted PR so badly they could submit to the categories, just like a flat fee directory.

15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are ways to include no follow that are harder to visually detect than others. I think you are one of the only (if not the only) bid directory that uses no follow on it's home page, based on that fact I would think telling potential submitters would be fair.

Is your reason for using no follow on the home page simply to appease google?

jg123, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's where you are 110% wrong.
    I think it's time you've come out of your shell and opened your eyes.

You, in posting your insubstantial generalizations of what everyone is supposedly after these days is expressing a strong lack of realization.

an0n, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  17. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    R: Holy batdroppings dont look up batman is another grey cloud.
    BM: It's the Joker again robin, quick roll out the bat shield for protection.
    R: what shall we do batman he popping up with the same story over and over, It must be nearly doomsday.
    BM: to the batcave robin, we need a think of a plan to catch this villan once and for all before all bid directory life as we know is destroyed.

:)

DownUnder, Oct 25, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  18. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @minstrel

It would seem "Adwords" is now going to finally change its way and offer webmasters/businesses
    the opportunity to "BID" on keywords for certain websites for thier adwords to appear.

Do you feel that its New method of doing adwords is coming from the "Bid directories"?

Yes i know they can do whatever they want But your thoughts on this

just asking is all ...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Directory owners like directory listings to promote their directories and as a way of increasing PR.

Webmasters like directories for the PR value or projected PR value of the listings.

What traffic? Where's the data?

Is it mere coincidence that directory submissions are down since Google cracked down on the PR juice from directory links?

Are YOU using no-follow or javascript for your listings? And if so, are YOU informing customers in advance of that fact before taking tyheir money?

20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There you go again with your 'think you know what everyone wants mentality'

My traffic is clearly stated on my directory. Always has been and always will be.

With reference to your questioning, I now question you in turn;
    Submissions down? ... says who? (stop thinking you know it all, because: *News Flash* you dont!)

I don't care about PR. Listings, whether submitted or added, go in as a backlink.

So again, in closing, and as I mention in my previous post:

an0n, Oct 25, 2007 IP