1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla URLs and SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Pacific Publishing, Oct 24, 2007.

I'm running a site using Joomla Content Management System. Is it true that the URLs in this CMS may not be search engine friendly? For example, here's one of the main pages - http://www.printmypics.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=52

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pacific Publishing, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can always use apache rewrite mod to have search engine friendly URLs, most CMS systems have options to display those types of URLs.

What webserver are you running your site on?

astup1didiot, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. ringwraith

ringwraith Peon

Best Answers:
    there are mod rewrite plugins you can find for joomla. I use sh404SEF and it allows quite a fine tweaking of your urls. It can be used on Both Linux and Windows Servers as it can or not use the .htaccess for link rewriting.

ringwraith, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  4. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Best Answers:
    Matt B, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  5. Pacific Publishing

Pacific Publishing Banned

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy Deluxe.
    Linux
    • 100 GB Space
    • 1,000 GB Transfer

Pacific Publishing, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  6. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would investigate matt's suggestion.

astup1didiot, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  7. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am a Joomla User & have been for about 12 months now. I don't use the SEF Mod that ONLY shortens the URL because it uses a Cache technology that takes up more storage space.

I have Over 3,100+ pages now & have NO problems with indexing.. Thats a myth.. The only advantage you may get is if you somehow make the URLS SEF in a textual comprehension way that make sense to the User (Not the Engine).

A golden rule is to use the 2 clicks theory with joomla (Or any dynamic site for that matter). Simply making sure that ALL your pages are no more than 2 clicks from the home page will insure Good indexing.

I use Hyper linked Footer navigation to aid in this, you are more than welcome to check out my Joomla site to get an Idea of how i on-page Optimize... (Click the first sig link "Marketing Consulting - Website Design")

I wish you luck....

scorpionagency, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    Pacific Publishing likes this.
  8. seola

seola Peon

Best Answers:
    I have built over 100 Joomla site, sh404 is the best, you can read my comments on joomla component sh404 page,

the other sef components are buggy as hell

each url is customizable as you wish, it picks up the title and names th url the same, or if you set the alias title for url you can have different url and article title

Joomla is really cool and the 1.5 version wil have seo implemented, but right now it is buggy and not ready yet.

If you need any help let me know

Alll you need is sh404 and redirect 301 from non www to www, and you can do that with sh404 also, you do not even have to edit htaccess that is how good sh404 is.

When will i get signatures

seola, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  9. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have used OpenSEF and SEF Advance for Joomla, SEF Advance is what my current Joomla site runs on. It is fantastic.

Forsh, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  10. scorpionagency

scorpionagency Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just checked out your site & I see that new Paid component is WAY better than the sef404.... I can see where the keywords may play a small roll in weight distribution, However it is mainly so viewers can read (Comprehend) the URL itself.

As long as your overall on & off page optimization is on target, I don't think the SEF URL makes that much of a algorithmic weight advantage.

It is nice to see that Joomla finally has a GOOD SEF solution available now. I might spend the 40 euros myself for the component, just to tighten the URL's a bit.

I of course will have to weigh the fact that I have over 3,100+ pages ALL indexed with the dynamic URLS & that by switching it will Omit my site for a while until duplication drops out of the SERP's. (2-4 weeks Minimum of Dead Time is what I'm looking at in the transition).

The long term aspects are good though... I am going to get a Butt load of 404 page hits from members that linked in with the old URL's as well.

Ummm, the more I type out the negatives, the more I think I may hold off. This is a GREAT idea for newer Joomla sites with not so many pages developed yet, as for sites of my size though, it's going to HURT & cause a few areas to start over from scratch again....

Thanks for mentioning the Component, It will be VERY helpful to some... :)

scorpionagency, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  11. rajajang

rajajang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when you use all these tools u need to make sure you get your data backup sometime these tools can make a huge mess on your site.

i had a bad experience.

rajajang, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  12. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Best Answers:
    scorpionagency: Slap in some 301 redirects.

It will be a little tedious with over 3,000 pages of indexed content but it would be worth it.

- Matt

Matt B, Oct 25, 2007 IP