1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google PageRank and Ranking Penalties Being Dished Out Like Crazy

Discussion in 'Google' started by Dave E, Oct 24, 2007.

1. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    The thing is, that did not happen in 4 cases. Only two partners got lower PR. It don't makes sense.

billion, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now there is a way to get hits to your site :D

astup1didiot, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    he he...that might be more valuable than PR. :D

billion, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  4. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No matter what Google does, people would always find ways to tweak the system. Thats how things are, there is always smarter ones.
    But there could be some kind of warning at least, so people could change the strategy.

webcosmo, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  5. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    Another thought. It seems like this PR change don't effect traffic from Google. If that is true the reason could simply be that Google suspect that some sites are selling links and lower their PR to stop them from selling. Google play safe and lower PR for all sites that are in fact selling links and also for those who in some way are related to sites selling/buying links? :confused:

billion, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  6. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    They might have bleed more PR to you then your others, you just never know.

7. dapyx

dapyx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If everybody is seeing this you shouldnt worry because your competition will get the same treatment as you... so there wont be any major changes in rankings..

dapyx, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This update will likely take days (or weeks) to complete so you are only seeing a tiny part of the picture. Google and other search engines also stated a long time ago that they frowned on link exchanges.

I don't think a universal downgrade of PR is going to be a big deal, Google probably just wants it to be 'valuable' again and at the same time it should discourage folks from buying and selling high PR links because there won't really be any left.

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  9. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Link exchanges already get less weight in SERPs, nothing is new there.

10. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:

I have to agree to this. It seems reasonable. I'm just hoping they've found a fair way to do it.

So...would you like to remove links with me? :rolleyes:

billion, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  11. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if google will make a statement about the PR reduction because if they don't I can see there being 1,000,000 re-inclusion requests from folks doing this-that-and-the-other-thing to their sites and then asking for the PR back!!

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  12. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    We'll get some sort of reply from them when they are finished, probably not before.

13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Well Dave E your an seo master...

so let me ask this...

How much is a PR7 link worth now? Triple ? quadruple?

If anything the price of PR just sky rocketed ...

Your thoughts...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  14. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone concerned with pagerank will be selling text links anytime soon. :D

15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    heheheh lol i agree :D

I just wanted to hear daves side of it is all

BUT i bet the Price of SEO might :p

malcolm1, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  16. Youkay

Youkay Peon

Best Answers:
    what is happening is a good thing and should have happened long long ago quality whitehat websites that have been competing for SERPs for many years being pushed out of the way by crap websites and directories because they can afford more high pr link backs.

The whole PR system in its current state is a complete joke (and completely represented in the useless serps google have been providing over the last 6 months) - anyone with half a brain and a big enough budget can buy there way to pr7-8 then make there money back with link sales.

this is not the way Google designed the PR system to be used, hundreds of thousands of webmasters have completely abused the system (hell, look at hostgator and there PR8, 700000 review websites and coupon websites, wtf, ITS A HOSTING COMPANY! now with the same PR as MSN !!!! W-T-F)

to everyone who has bought and sold links, now loosing pagerank HAHA tough luck. go cry somewhere else. all the crap directories and mfa blogs etc, make me wanna gouge my eyes out.

to all the websites loosing PR in the crossfire - I'm sure you will receive your true pagerank whenever google get there act together and finalize whatever the hell they are working on. I wish you all luck.

Youkay, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  17. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually I still have 3 other websites which also still remain at PR5. I am closely monitoring any movement. All else being equal (ie: all these sites have advertising, one way or another), I am not sure what exactly is the criteria for the downgrade.

my44, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  18. greenlight

greenlight Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't believe that i read this whole post about speculation on a Google penalty, and not one person suggested that it might just be an update of some sort.

Obviously, Google is doing something with their page ranking system, tweaking the algorithm, changing reporting times, and maybe a complete overhaul of some sort.

These sites that were just "hit" are probably being run through the system because they get the spiders first and then maybe the pulled the algo or are tweaking it before the unleash it on the whole index. Who knows ?

But to chalk it up to a penalty is unfounded hysteria. Let it work out for a while and then try and figure out what it really means.

greenlight, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  19. subnet_rx

subnet_rx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, we know that PR is updated on a constant basis, so the question is, has anyone of these sites seen a drop in search traffic? If not, then why are we even talking about this? I've seen at least of the blogs say they have seen no decrease in traffic, so this change may finally prove that page rank has little effect on search results. I would see an argument that page rank relates to authority, but all of these discussions is certainly not worth it on the authority argument alone.

subnet_rx, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jill over at highrankings.com has an interesting take on what Google is doing and I think she might be right:

Many folks are reporting no change in SERPs even with the much lowered page ranks so the above could be a distinct possiblility.

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP