1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google PageRank and Ranking Penalties Being Dished Out Like Crazy

Discussion in 'Google' started by Dave E, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Too much freaking out going on at the moment, imo. One thing is clear, and Google made its intentions known several months ago - they are going after (non-traffic) paid links.

mcfox, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is simple...

If you want to sell text links you have no choice, you must use the ref="nofollow" tag or you will find yourself getting hurt in the long run. You'll notice the demand for text links drop a lot once people realize they can't juice there pagerank anymore with them.

astup1didiot, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. Alexander the Great

Alexander the Great Peon

Best Answers:
    This is great news! Google makes good on their paid links warning, they're improving the quality of their search product, and giving people the ability to compete on quality and merit rather than by finding link brokers.

Alexander the Great, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    billybw likes this.
  4. Actor Mike

Actor Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not as cut and dried as selling links. There are sites getting hit that do not sell links, that are popular and well respected and yet they're getting penalised.

The way I see it is that Google created a monster with PageRank and they're now looking to destroy it. Along the way, though, they're upsetting a hell of a lot of people.

Actor Mike, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  5. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are not selling links what do you care if your PR is 2 or 9 assuming your G Search traffic remains the same.

In my case I have dropped PR from 5 to 4 and now 4 to 3 all in two weeks but my G traffic has actually gone up. So I could care less its down to a 3.

gford, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    Alexander the Great likes this.
  6. crazygirl

crazygirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Does gogole penalize sites that use affiliate payments ? For example Adult Friend Finder - they PAY webmasters to have links to them on their pages in a manner of speaking. Are they penalizing AAF for this ??

crazygirl, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  7. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with you. I doubt google's ability to detect 'real' paid links as to partners sites or the owner's own sites...etc...

Now I finally agree that PR must be called off. What a flawed and unfair system!

xc06, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  8. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thats true cuz one of my personal blogs with just blogroll links to my other websites lost PR from 3 to 2 last week and now its 1

google is just BSing webmasters now because they are penalizing all sites with links on them

njoker555, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    tarponkeith likes this.
  9. astup1didiot

Best Answers:

Do you even consider that those inbound links to your blog were buying\sell text links? You rank is dropping because your backlinks PR is going down, this is like a deck of cards. No longer will paid links hold the high horse of PR.

10. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This whole thing is making me wonder if they aren't trying to further their own "tools" this way...

dropping the PR of some major analytics competitors, dropping the ranks of a lot of directories, which usually do nothing other then sell links...

tarponkeith, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  11. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Seems someone felt the need to give me negative feedback on one of my posts about if you sell links you must use the ref="nofollow" tag for no reason.

Maybe they should view the official google blog where it was stated to use it if you want to sell them. Guess some people feel the need to take out their anger on others cause they are losing there bought PR value.

12. Sutocu

Sutocu Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not that simple. Many of the sites penalized have been selling links, but others seem to have done something else wrong. I'm hoping there'll be a post on Matt Cutts' blog in a few days to shed some light on the matter.

Sutocu, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  13. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Really it is, take a look at my point of view...

Many sites may not have been selling or buying text links, but they probably had backlinks from site(s) that were. So as those backlinks lose PR weight so will the sites they link to. As stated in matts blog you should be aware of who links to you. The way the internet works, like a web, a lot of sites will lose PR even if a simple 100,000 were just initally effected by google.

14. Sutocu

Sutocu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, and how have they picked the sites that see an update then? Not all of www is affected, even though the effect should propagate to other niches that have bought links. I get what you are after, but I just think there's more to this.

For now I mainly see webmaster related sites, and most are blogs.

Sutocu, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  15. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Those tend to be sites that sell text links the most, and a lot of other site types are getting hit as well. I do value your opinion and see where you are coming from.

I think it will just take time, they are hitting certain area first and will work their way around the block, I personally don't think anything special is behind this. They are doing what they've been claiming to do soon.

Sutocu likes this.
  16. Lorelei

Lorelei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What they do with the penalties is crazy, they obviously miss out again and just penalize everyone who has PR3 +. Most of the domains that got penalize don't sell PR links, yet their PR bar got chopped off. Once again Google proves that their methods are imperfect.

Lorelei, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  17. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Remember what the www stands for in your url address? World Wide Web, many many many sites are interlinked together and don't even know it. Most likely peoples backlinks are losing PR value which in turn would hurt their PR value.

18. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    We don't sell links but PR has gone down from 6 to 4.

We do have links on our site. Mostly exchanges.

Could the reason be that if you link to another site that do buy links(verified by google in some way) Google assume that you also sell links? Seems crazy...i guess not...heh... :(

I need to find someone to sue...

billion, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  19. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    no, but that site your exchanging with will lose pr value and so will you.

20. Sutocu

Sutocu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sue Google. You're not going to win or anything, but it'll get you a fair bit of publicity.

Sutocu, Oct 24, 2007 IP