1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Guantanamo Detainee Found Innocent, Set Free

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by lorien1973, Oct 22, 2007.

This poor soul has been in the Guantanamo facility since the US's invasion of Afghanistan. He was just released and sent home, but still isn't sure why he was arrested.

Apparently, he was just vacationing when those evil US troops decided to round him up because of the color of his skin.
    Now free and out of the US's imperial dungeons, he is home again. Visited by friends, family and other innocent detainees from Guantanamo (hey, I thought we were locking up everyone indefinitely! Anyways...) to celebrate his new found freedom.
    He wants to continue his peaceful life. Building a family, having children and gaining employment to help improve the economy of whichever country he lives in next.

No no. I kid, of course. He can't wait to blow himself up.

I'm sure we'll hear more about this fine upstanding citizen at some point in the future!

lorien1973, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  2. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    I think capacity should be doubled, that would sort most of these idiots out.

Toopac, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  3. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    May he get his 72 virgins due..

How many killed in the explosion?

The Webmaster, Oct 23, 2007 IP
    eXe likes this.
  4. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I knew these guys would return to peaceful lives...:rolleyes:

d16man, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  5. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who vacations in Afghanistan? Also there have been a number of Guantanamo Detainees released who later showed up on the battle field in Afghanistan and Iraq again.

soniqhost.com, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  6. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    They all were innocent peace loving, family caring guys who US forcefully detained without any proofs... (YAWN).. so out of grudges against US, they joined terrorist organizations and became suicide bombers (Yeah Right.. you got it Bob)... and blah blah blah....

The Webmaster, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  7. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So you'd prefer we not follow any international laws and or treaties and do what exactly?

Not sure your point to be honest. Of course some of those detained were bad men, some should not be released. What the administration attempted from the beginning hurt their cause in the end dont' you think? Backlash is a bitch, but I'm sure you see it as only the terrorists fault and can not comprehend how the administration not following international law, such petty things as the geneva convention and as the supreme court decided

So what, we should not obide by any laws and be lawless ourselves?

Seriously not getting your point in these ranting threads. If anything to me it shows the Bush administration should have followed the law from the beginning.

In any rule of law guilty can be set free by mistake, being tortured and held such as these people have been can also cause someone to become something they were originally not. But I guess you have no problem with locking up innoccent as long as one guilty does not get set free? Let us become the lawless?

Seriously do not get it one bit.

GRIM, Oct 23, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  8. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with you Grim. I think we should lock up jihadists as having a mental disorder, instead. No one would object to keeping them safely if we diagnosed them with having a mental illness that said they were an immediate threat to themselves and others (which they are of course) - people would be clamouring to keep them locked up.

But that we call them terrorists or jihadists; it seems to grant them more privileges and comfort from people. Wonder why that's the case?

lorien1973, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  9. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think they would claim Bush is a candidate for having a mental disorder. having a mental illness that said he is an immediate threat to himself and others :D

samantha pia, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One step at the time, your suggestion was already used by soviet against the political opposition and Jews in Russia. USA has already copied the idea of torture and gulags, so why not this one? :rolleyes:

As freedom loving nation is the duty of USA to kidnap and imprison people without trial, torture them and finally kill them in mental hospitals. :rolleyes:

gworld, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  11. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yet when our brave men and women are captured we expect and rightfully so that they should be treated properly and under international law. We however should not do the same I see you're suggesting.

So we should be lawless, that is the suggestion.

GRIM, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  12. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Need I remind you of prisoners of War yet again? WW2 POW's were held without trial until the end of conflict. As with previous conflicts as well. We've had this discussion already, gworld. is your memory that short?

Yes. I totally agree. Political opposition is roughly equivalent to being in an opposing army during a military conflict. Care to try again?

lorien1973, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  13. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Was there a point to be made here?

He was locked up in a prison by a foreign country. He's pissed and even if he wasn't willing to blow shit up before he is now....

Did you have some doubt that would happen or.... what?

GeorgeB., Oct 23, 2007 IP
  14. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Wow, I need some tissues after reading this thread. I haven't seen so much sympathy since Ronald Reagan passed away.

Was just a few days ago that I saw political figures claiming that something was wrong with our system when gitmo prisoners are treated better than prisoners in US prisons. Don't see anyone shedding a tear over them.

GTech, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  15. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Who said anything about 'sympathy'? Treated by the treaties and laws we should follow is not sympathy, it is ensuring we are not the lawless ones.

:rolleyes:

But yep, we are best to be the lawless nation that nobody likes, that is surely some sound logic if I ever heard it.

I personally would hope they are not treated even remotely as well as our citizens in prison, they however should be treated under the law and treaties we have signed.

You do demand our prisoners to be treated fairly when captured do you not?

GRIM, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  16. PalSys

PalSys palsys.io

Best Answers:
    Yeah, there's the answer. When will you people realize that locking these guys up outside of the law will never change anything? For every terrorist that you lock up illegally in Gitmo there are 10 more waiting to blow you up for doing the same. I'm no supporter of terrorists but it's beyond me why no one has realized that this entire "war on terrorism" isn't solving anything at all; it's effectively creating fresh problems daily.

Yeah, I hadn't read a misguided Islamic dig in the past 30 seconds - thanks for the fix.

If one American (you maybe?) took some time with this gentleman to explain to him the error in his ways and the positives that come from the West in general you just may change his mind. Or not. But trying beats making smart-ass comments on a message board, eh?

That is the case because the American government chooses to do things outside of the law. To cover up for the serious injustices that exist in detaining people illegally they offer decent treatment to make folks like you feel that the balance has been restored. Then those same folks (you) make your way through life convincing others that the American government is, in fact, far too light-handed with these individuals.

No offense intended here at all but it all seems very clear to me that the things that many of you suggest simply don't work. At what point does someone stand up and admit that trying something new (something peaceful perhaps?) may lead more quickly to the changes that we all desire?

PalSys, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't remember this but if you said this previously, I must have told you that what you are saying is stupid, no matter how many times you repeat it.
    WWII was war between countries and armies, with what country is USA in war right now? Prisoners of war has to be treated according to Geneva convention, sorry you don't like it but that means no torture. prisoners of WAR will be released by the end of war, when and how this undeclared war is going to end? :rolleyes:

I think any person that participates in torture or supports torture is an animal and sub human, how about you? :rolleyes:

gworld, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  18. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I did. Didn't you see it?

Who said anything about lawlessness, other than you?

Must be the voices in your head, because no one else has suggested such. What else can be blame America first for?

Who says they are not treated under the law and treaties we have signed? And what laws and treaties would those be? I've covered them before, but since we're making things up to blame America with based on hunches, let's see what ya have!

Were you talking about the headless ones, or the ones whose throats were slit, or the ones dragged through streets? Somehow, there must be moral equivalence there, no?

The estrogen is thick in here tonight ;)

GTech, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  19. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    Here, here

I've revised my opinion now that you made such a wonderful plea for common sense. I agree with you there are "there are 10 more waiting to blow you up for doing the same", I say free them so each group of 10 can be upgraded to 11 instead, which should stop all the violence & actually mean less threats.

That's exactly what i expect from these islamic warriors (the word terrorist might upset some), so i fail to understand GRIM's question.

Toopac, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  20. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    WTF is up with DP. Made a huge reply with tons of links, quotes and it froze. I lost it all! Tried again with a smaller but similiar post and again it did it!

Thankfully I learned from my mistake and copied it from wordpad! GRRRR

Easy question, do you demand our troops be treated fairly?
    Is is that difficult to answer a question, or do you not demand they be treated fairly?
    Yes you did, as usual putting words into others posts. Nothing I have posted has any sympathy for terrorists. It has to do with upholding our nation for which it was founded on, for which it stands, it's rule of law and keeping us great.
    You've proven over and over you do not wish us to follow the laws when it comes to taliban, terrorists, hell anyone in this war.
    I have NEVER blamed America, another nice attempt at putting your views into someone elses post. You have continually proven you do not wish to follow laws when it comes to this war.

Questioning the administration is not blaming American one bit. You are the one always yelling that you do not have to support Bush to support America, that is true when used correctly. In the same stance that not supporting Bush is NOT bashing America. Bush is not America, he simply is a temporary leader of the nation, he is not the nation itself. Use your own logic when only you feel fit, gotta love that irony.

As far as the thread goes, it's obvious that people are wishing it was back before some rulings came out. There have been many you know ruling it was against the rule of law ;) Many experts have also come out showing where we were not following the geneva conventions. I'm sure you wont read them anyways and will only take pro Bush stances but here are a few of many links. Taken in no particular order, just a quick google search.

First off the Geneva Convention:
    http://uspolitics.about.com/od/antiterrorism/i/geneva_conv_2.htm
    http://www.hrw.org/press/2002/01/us011102.htm
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/guantanamo-bay_legal.htm
    Further links on Supreme Court decisions
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201530,00.html
    http://www.socialworkers.org/pressroom/2004/073004.asp

So you can not answer if you want our men and women treated fairly? I did not ask if you thought they were treated fairly. You do understand that this is not the last war we will be in do you not?

No matter how bad one breaks the law, breaking the law is still not an option in this case. Considering those we are fighting also never signed any treaty, or geneva convention that also changed matters slightly.

We create more enemies by breaking our own laws, but I guess you prefer a never ending war is that it? More enemies equals longer time frame to fight. Are you for this or what? Sure would appear to be so.

Can you not answer a simple question? I guess you answered it yourself by not answering, no you can not ;)

Nice attack at women btw, sexist comment, gotta love Gtech the king of personal attacks.

The blinders are on fully tonight as always in Gtech world it would appear.

GRIM, Oct 24, 2007 IP