1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Directory Owner Members where are they now !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Oct 22, 2007.

?

Which would you Prefer in the DP Directory Category

1. That the category is beneficial to all POSTERS

69.9%
  2. That the category IS TAKEN OVER BY TROLLS

30.1%
  1. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    oops thought that was asking what i believe that had happen here:eek:
    of course i want these trolls out...:rolleyes:

scoobby, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This is almost laughable. Who are the trolls? In my view, it's the people who spammed and scammed in the directory forum before the big crash. The people who are currently active in criticizing such behavior aren't the problem.

Exactly! Right on!

And the idea of making any of these people moderators is ridiculous. It's not difficult to predict the outcome of that move, is it?

minstrel, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    Monty likes this.
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Minstrel, this thread isnt about who trashed directories or made google mad with selling links in their empty categorised directory.

Its about the people who post crap rather than facts.

The people who write "web directories are a load of junk" etc etc that ruined the place.

The people that whenever a quality discussion got going, they had to butt in, personally attack the members with what they beleived werent quality directory owners, and call them scammers and worse.

The people that even today are still at it. If people have nothing useful to say, they shouldnt say it at all. Yes its a free world, yes its a public forum, but some things just dont need to be said.

In this very forum i have yet to see you take part in any useful debates minstrel, the threads where newbies ask how to be successful, the threads where people ask for opinions. You only reply to the negative based threads, like this one, like the anti bid directory threads, like the "google bashed some paid directories" threads etc.

I rest my case. If you get some kind of pleasure from posting what you do, go ahead. If not, dont bother posting at all. Help educate the new people rather than name call the older ones.

mikey1090, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    pipes and balkanboy like this.
  4. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion minstrel and phoenix and some other members i am not remember, have a critic view for the directories that is based on some facts and they are providing some good proofs and they are not insaulting(most times at least) so even if i am not sharing the same opinion(s) i would like to hear what they have to say and learn from them...

scoobby, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With respect to the OP and let me ask a question. If I might say as an example only no need for everyone to jump all over me. Let's say if someone says that a web directory is now worthless due to the fact that it has a temporary penalization does he qualifies as a troll for expressing his views ? The problem here is that everyone belongs in one grouping that no one sees the other side of the coin. Should it be open as this is an open forum and not a forum that pertains to a single entity or a group. Pros and Cons are and should be deliberated. If everyone in a group nodding their head at the same time then something is wrong. It would just be like we can register now to have an ID card of the former Politburo that everything should be under control.

popotalk, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    minstrel and britishguy like this.
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    And most of those are directory owners...

I'm pretty sure your criteria for things that don't need to be said would be posts like mine that are critical of bidding directories. But they do need to be said. You don't want to hear it, obviously, but it needs to be said nonetheless.

First, where am I name-calling? (Unlike you - I've seen some of your red rep comments.) You have it backwards, Mikey. That's not the problem and you know it. The problem is you don't like what I have to say and you'd really love it if you had a way to prevent me saying it.

You and guys like you have been fleecing people with your directories. And even your heroes have publicly admitted to violating Google's guidelines. Google finally took action against you. Now you're all spamming the directories forum with threads about how you see directories making a comeback in a desperate effort to get back some of your lost income. But nothing has changed and nothing will. Even if some of these directories do rise again in Google rankings, the links are still going to be worthless from an SEO standpoint (PR and anchor text). And to claim that the anyone is going to get any real traffic from the vast majority of these directories is almost criminally ludicrous.

amitpatel_3001 likes this.
  7. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, its exactly why this anon person wants people like me and workshop out of here. (Quote him) :rolleyes: He smply doesn't like the truth being said and he certainly doesn't like people standing up against him because he knows we're not going to stroke his ego like others do. I do exactly as you advise stoner, I ignore fools and idiots in the hope that they will go elsewhere to bloat their already overinflated ego's and quickly emptying pockets.

The Pheonix, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  8. coolweb

coolweb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice thread pete, you started it at very right time when we all need such kind of awareness.

I always loved to visit Directories area at DP, to share, learn and exchange ideas with other directory owners and always got benefited. But in the last few months (specially right after the Paid Links de-valuation by Google) some directory haters got a chance to start some thrill, sensation and rumors. They are not even can support their own words.

I believe all experienced and old directory owners who are trying to do something extra in the directories business, spending time on promotions, building strong directories and helping new directory owners to come in the directories field, will not like to participate in unnecessary started threads, rumors and replying more to posts on personal attacks.

coolweb, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  9. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No great post Jude but and the but is how can anyone base without facts that anything is worthless

Give all people the right to participate but everyone should remember its a commercial world so money is involved

But of course money would not bring in envy and jealousy, that would never happen would it:rolleyes:

Here on DP with the present climate that would warrant a comment that something is worthless :eek:

Well that isn't right now is it

We all need to be successful not just the chosen few, but life aint like that is it ?

Congratulations popotalk on a top sale the other day :)

britishguy, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We have been there and if chasing pr and manipulation was not the right way to do it. We should have all learned our lessons by now.
    I agree with you here but lets go back to read stoners post so everyone could learn.
    again a message from stoner would be very valuable for this.

Just my take.

popotalk, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of facts supporting the criticisms. You just don't like the facts. Understably, since it costs you money. But they are facts nonetheless.

There's nothing wrong with making money. I admire people who do that legitmately. I abhor scammers and spammers and I am happy to see Google taking steps to cut into their income.

I worked in forensic-correctional psychology for a number of years (and still do a bit of that kind of work). A lot of the comments from the directory spammers, scammers, and link farm operators sound remarkably like what the criminologists call "techniques of neutralization" - rationalizations used by criminals that attempt to justify the fact that they are taking money or property by force or fraud.

Exactly. There are none so blind as will not see.

12. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I chose not to vote, because I just don't think there is much for anyone to post aobut now. Turkeys or non-turkeys

(and yes I relize that many would call me a turkey or a troll and a negative member)

bobby9101, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One member who was here recently, i think by the name of LaCabra was someone i appreciated giving their view, as far as i remember he/she pointed out various flaws with different things but at least gave input and suggestions as to what may be useful, things worth trying.

I actually took on board what he/she said in a few threads that we took part in, he/she was reasonable as far as i remember and had a fair and polite way of putting things across, even on some disagreements, there was still that mutual respect.

What im pointing out is he/she didn't appear to jump into a thread for the hell of knocking anyone but gave a thought out response and seemed genuine about what he said.

pipes, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  14. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers: