1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Directory Owner Members where are they now !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Oct 22, 2007.

?

Which would you Prefer in the DP Directory Category

1. That the category is beneficial to all POSTERS

69.9%
  2. That the category IS TAKEN OVER BY TROLLS

30.1%
  1. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Bravo Pete for bringing attention to it here.

Im bewildered as to why they are not banned yet bizarrely ive seen others banned from here where i cant immediately see why.

I think its probably less than 5 or 6 people with plenty of accounts here posing as other people as its pretty odd that they dive straight into this section and get busy hijacking a thread.

I dont know how often one person in particular can repeat the same thing over and over again and not drive themselves crazy, they cant be getting any work done as when their not trashing here they appear to be researching peoples sites to pick points all the time.

That negativity will eat you up, bad for your health, Malcolm gave me good advice last night, use the ignore button.

Keep your fingers crossed their posts are not quoted so much ;) otherwise you still see them.

pipes, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  2. Razvan

Razvan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pete, I hope you'll become mod. This section needs someone passionate about directories. Hopefully we'll be able to bring back some of the directory owners..

Razvan, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  3. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I voted 'wrong' I thought the question was, have the trolls taken over? and I answered yes.

It has gotten to the point where the two or three trolls post one-after-another congratulating each other on 'great' posts and ideas but they just keep saying the same things over and over. It is quite pathetic.

jg123, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    floppydrivez likes this.
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry Jay ( I cannot edit the Poll to make it clearer)

Thanks for the vote :cool:

britishguy, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  5. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    absolutely agreed on this point, this section needs some mods. Chris, jeff, rob, an0n, jhnrang, coolweb, malcom, iceberg, mikey..... there are so many directory owners around, making one of them as a moderator can bring this place back to life!

uttoransen, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They never left ... :)

They are still here but merely in the shadows waiting for the trolls to get "banged" or "put in place" so that they can come back to post and share information .. ;)

Some people just dont have the time/heart/patience to argue or sit and get blasted "daily" by a selected few Trolls/Troll sidekicks and also Advantage Takers looking for fame.

If you notice many directory owners/newbies/submitters/surfers whom never left and enjoyed this section of forum finally have had enough off the Bullcrap comments/personal attacks/misguided info and started adding them to the Ignore list. (note: please dont quote them anymore either)

Bye Bye trolls

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  7. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    Woohoo, a discussion! We are headed in the right direction. I came into the directory industry when the shit hit the fan so to speak. None of that has changed my opinion about it.

I also joined the DP forums close to that time and got a terrible first impression. After reading a few post, I almost left to never ever return. I stuck it out and tried my best to weed through all the garbage.

Since, DP can make such an influence on old and new users. I would vote for a positive one and some moderators would surely do the trick.

Rep Added Pete, Thanks for your post.

Mack,

floppydrivez, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  8. titoni

titoni Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice thread Pete, Hope google will update PR soon and all owners of directories come back again.

titoni, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  9. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree with u Pete, This is really an awesome effort by you. Many of the big guys are not visiting the Directory section anymore Or are just not posting here. I hope that everyone is back, so that we have great discussions that we used to had before.

Red_Virus, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  10. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe like the other top members we need to realize that nothing is being done about the "trolls" here, so we need to find a place that will monitor and take action... Just a thought

swedal, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  11. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually directories are coming back ,I got a certain % jump in submissions to my paid directory!

So directories are definitely here to say

but it is sad that some members are missing!

Freewebspace, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  12. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I think this happened long before the individuals mentioned in the OP left.

The hostility towards free submission directories has been evident for quite some time and speaks volumes about what really motivates the members of the forum. IMO, this forum was overrun with folks looking to cash in on the directory idea with little understanding of what a directory is really all about a long time ago.

I've stopped trying to educate people with discussions about category taxonomies, symbolic categories, etc. No one here cares (well, there are a few exceptions). There are very few discussions about improving the quality of a directory (or directory script) here any more.

Bernard, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  13. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Oh yes... I apologies for a improper selection. :eek:

humm, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  14. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Your absolutely right, and its this understanding that a few of us are trying to restore. Unfortunatey in the process we have to say a few home truths and it hurts some people, but these are generally the ones who have the sole intention of lining thier own pockets with little or no regard to the future of the directory industry. Let everyone have their say, agree to disagree, without silly behaviour, amd there's no reason why this forum are shouldn't be regarded as the best on the planet. Put it back to where it was and it will simply degrade back to where it was, just another place over-run by a certain gang claiming this to be their turf which is not a good thing for either this forum or the directory industry as a whole.

Just my honest opinion. :)

The Pheonix, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  15. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A few only come to DP to name call; it’s not the same nowadays.

If the Mods want to get this forum back on track then action must be taken and soon.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  16. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess on a public forum everybody can say pretty much what they want.

And, sad but true there's not much one can do about it either as long as their abiding by the rules.

Maybe some guidelines or posting rules could make a difference, IMO. But they already have those.

adnan, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  17. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Rise above the namecallers malcolm, I do, and boy do I get called some names. :eek:

The Pheonix, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Once the forums are rid of the likes of the_pheonix and workshop, all will be fine.

Their constant posting of garbage is part of what ruined the forums. While they will most likely revert to 'oh this is a money scheme' blah blah yadda yadda outcry, that is far from the truth. But nevertheless, they will cry and continue to clog up what was once good about these forums.

an0n, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  19. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    yet another thread where I started to write what I think then I just deleted everything.
    This section should be renamed to "Directories Chat",
    before the google measures it was called the "BandWagon"

enQuira, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  20. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I personally don’t think the Directory topic should be open to everybody. I have watched it become monopolized by take the money and run link farmers over the past two years. These amateurs have been spewing out endless quantities of really bad advice while patting each other on the back for their short lived accomplishments.

If the directory topic is ever going to be dug out of the joke it has become on this forum we need to police our own; knowbody else is going to do it.

When the proud link farmer announces and posts their latest 20 link farms the moderators should delink their domains and members should let it be known that this is not the place to promote link farms anymore.

The arguing here lately is rather humorous. It takes two or more to argue and no one person looks any better than the other. Ignore fools and idiots and they normally go elseware to bloat their egos.

stoner3221, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    popotalk, britishguy and minstrel like this.