1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Links - Are they valuable?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by goravani, Oct 20, 2007.

I have read and heard sometime back from various SEO experts that getting a back link from Dmoz.org is quite valuable. Is it still the case ?

goravani, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes - if you can get them that is. I have about a 25% success rate with my submissions, and they take months.

frankcow, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  3. benefita

benefita Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, it is really profitable

benefita, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  4. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it is certainly valuable as it is a well known directory, but most benefit comes form not the link you get from DMOZ, but all the other SE that use DMOS directory including Google. so once you get your site listed with DMOZ, tons of other SEs index your site in their directory. it is a very powerfull tool. however, there are lot of conspiracy theory going around with DMOZ these days that suggests that category editors (i don;t believe its all but maybe some) list thier own site there and don;t accept any sites that is in direct competition with them. i think there is some truth to that as i myself tried a lot to get few sites listed, few are 100% content based sites offering valuable services to the related community but not been successful getting them listed. i guess your success wil depend on your niche and who is the category editor.

sultanofseo, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  5. nasium

nasium Active Member

Best Answers:
    As a webmaster, after i finish a site the first thing i do is submit the site to DMOZ. Worth the effort right?

nasium, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, once you finish a site you read the guidelines for submission to DMOZ, then you'll notice your site is likely not ready. Once you make sure your site is well within the guidelines, then you submit it. Though only submit once and ONLY to one category (and the best cat at that), as anything more can get you flagged as spam. After that you can just go about the rest of your day as if nothing happened. If you are lucky, some day an Editor will happen upon your category, look at your site, like it, and add it. If you are not lucky, it'll sit there till the end of time.

Though yes, once the site is ready, it is worth the few moments it takes to fill in the submission form. It's just generally not worth it to fret over the time it can take to get listed ;)

Qryztufre, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  7. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes, i agree, if your site is ready for submission, might as well submit it then forget it. if it gets accepted, its all good. but don;t lose any sleep over it.

sultanofseo, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  8. tennisplayer89

tennisplayer89 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you care about your search engine rankings, then DMOZ is very important. Google likes it, and many directories and sites pull links automatically from DMOZ. One DMOZ link could get you maybe one hundred more links in other places.

tennisplayer89, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  9. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True it's a good piece of the puzzle to have for any website. But it's not the Holy Grail.

I have a top spot in Google for one of my sites under the correct phrase, and I do not have DMOZ, or even done a lot of link building. It's just content rich, and has the proper SEO for the sub pages.

There is a lot to be said for actually reading, and applying the correct things in your websites, their designs, and indexing. Plus keeping updated.

2 cents.

Barefootsies, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  10. Valley

Valley Peon

Best Answers:
    How come some sites are listed more than once them.
    I understand why and hoe but still seems a bit daft.
    But saying that I just got my second listing when I checked about a minute ago!

Valley, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  11. danbrian

danbrian Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, i agree, if your site is ready for submission, might as well submit it then forget it. if it gets accepted, its all good. but don;t lose any sleep over it.

danbrian, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  12. goravani

goravani Active Member

Best Answers:
    how long did it take for each of you to get your site listed in DMOZ ?

goravani, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  13. Perluna

Perluna Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is really important for your Google ranking.It can help you get listed faster or better if you are in DMOZ.It can take a day to a year for you to get accepted depents how often the editor visit you neck of woods.

Perluna, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There are sites within DMOZ that have been listed for years, yet have a PR0...and if Google thought that it was really important, ya think maybe they would update their directory more then once every 2 years? I mean, the directory of Google was not updated since 2005, and a link too it is rather hard to find. Those are not signs of high priority or importance.

So don't believe all the SEO blogs you read...many are still spewing garbage from 1994.

Qryztufre, Oct 22, 2007 IP
    evpstud likes this.
  15. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, skip the stuff in SEO blogs, act on the word of a guy who has a PR2 & a PR3 to show for his SEO prowess. :rolleyes:

A dmoz listing *does* add some juice on Google page rank. If you have a site that fits... submit it, but don't lose sleep over it. Just read the guidelines and send it to the correct spot the first time complete with a compliant descrip for best results.Sending it to the wrong place is one of the most frequent submitter mistakes that cripples the prospects of entry.

Aside from misplaced submissions the REAL problem with getting good sites in is often nothing more than a lack of manpower. Use the "become an editor" button if you'd like to help overcome that one.

robjones, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Congrats on posting outside the ODP forum Mr. Jones.

Yeah, both of which have DMOZ listings. :rolleyes: that some juice was pretty darn helpful I tell ya!

Now believe the guy that's an editor. I'm sure his word isn't biased.

17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry your sites rank low, but I said we could provide link juice, I did not suggest we could get Google drunk. For example, you have a site in the exclusive Personal HomePages section... also the best place to submit crayola drawings of rainbows.

The dmoz link increases exposure to spiders... but from there the response is based on the merit of the site as perceived by the algorithm of Google or whatever site is looking at it. Basically we can get ya looked at, but can't make a silk purse out of a sow's site. :)

robjones, Oct 22, 2007 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that DMOZ lists low quality sites like mine. Now why would anyone want their sites listed there if they are going to be listed next to a sow's site? I mean, that sounds like a Link Farm to me.

19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Undoubtedly the bar is pretty low in a Personal Homepages cat... they might list water-color ponies, a reason I don't spend a lot of time there. Your other was one of the only 6 sites YOU listed before quitting, so I can't say whether an unbiased source would or wouldn't be impressed. For all I know Google would have had PR0 on those without the dmoz listing.

Doubt Q's two personal sites prove or disprove much, they just tell us Google doesn't accept a Dmoz listing as the final word, nor should they.

robjones, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  20. Alexander the Great

Alexander the Great Peon

Best Answers:
    Eh. Submit and forget. If you get it great, if not don't loose any sleep. Plenty of sites rank very well with no dmoz links.

Alexander the Great, Oct 23, 2007 IP