1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much do you charge for a long form sales letter?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by reachforthesky, Sep 18, 2007.

What's the price range you typically charge for a long form sales letter? Do you charge by per word, per page or per hour?

reachforthesky, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  2. Getagrip

Getagrip Peon

Best Answers:
    I write all of my own, but I would charge by project. However, I would aim for at least $10 per hour, unless you really really really need money, in which case you can charge less.

Getagrip, Sep 30, 2007 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's ridiculously low. If you want a professional copywriter to do it for you (someone with a history of well-converting sales pages), you're probably going to pay several thousand at least. $10 per hour in freelance terms is less than $10 per hour in employer/employee terms. At that rate, you could practically make more working for Walmart.

jhmattern, Oct 1, 2007 IP
  4. DixieCentral

DixieCentral Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I will charge $50 for a 700-1000 words sales letter.

Please PM me for sample sales letter.

Regards,

DixieCentral, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  5. thenetfreak

thenetfreak Guest

Best Answers:
    I have only written salesletters for myself, but I would charge atleast $500 for a salesletter and it would vary depending on the project

thenetfreak, Oct 7, 2007 IP
  6. TheWriter

TheWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    400-700 depending on word count and details- You have to take into account how much money they will be making if the sales letter is good.. this a very well reasonable...

TheWriter, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  7. peterkohar

peterkohar Guest

Best Answers:
    actually i cost from $500 to $1500. it depends on the industry that you choose.
    simply you just give me the resources that i need.
    like testimonial, benefit of the product, etc

peterkohar, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  8. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    The kind of professionalism and broader vision with sales orientation needed for creating a salesletter must be considered as the core requirement.Compensation comes next to that. A compensation in two digits may look easy and cheap but at the end of the game it should help you selling. The one who sells his own skills for peanuts will be making you earn towering profits !

ashvaj, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  9. Colm O'Dwyer

Colm O'Dwyer Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand that... Are you saying, that if you spend less on a copywriter, you will then make more profit?

If that's the case, then that's bull.

I charge $2,500 per letter; however, as I keep finding out time and again, I'm cheap!

I think specifically on this forum, a few too many members seem to think content writing and copywriting are inextricably linked; this is not the case. And although you can get a rare deal every now and then, say when a copywriter is building their portfolio, 9 times out of 10, expect to pay a good rate.

In return, you will see greater conversions and greater profits.

Colm

Colm O'Dwyer, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  10. jmousseau

jmousseau Banned

Best Answers:
    I've written many sales letter ranging from 500-1,000 words.
    Pay range has went from $100-$500...

jmousseau, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  11. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I charge $20 per 250 words.

Regards,

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  12. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    To : Colm O'Dwyer
    You completely misunderstood my statement. In fact you are supporting my views. Thanks anyway.

ashvaj, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you'll see that a lot here. Every content writer thinks they can be a copywriter, although they have no clue what that even means (and because a large number of buyers here are in that same boat, it's a real mess of misinformation around here on that topic).

jhmattern, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  14. Colm O'Dwyer

Colm O'Dwyer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hear, Hear.

I've read that a few times now, and I don't see how I could interpret it in any other way... Anyone?

Colm

Colm O'Dwyer, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Maybe they were trying to say the cheap writers help the more professional writers earn "towering profits" because they keep themselves out of the competition for the clients you're looking for - in that serious clients will go to serious writers and not buy "on the cheap." I don't know though. I read it the same way as you did at first actually.

jhmattern, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  16. jestjasper

jestjasper Peon

Best Answers:
    The one who sells his own skills for peanuts is going to bring you nothing but more peanuts.... I think that is a more accurate statement.

jestjasper, Oct 16, 2007 IP
  17. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    I read my own words again.Initially,when "Colm O' Dwyer" mentioned about a different interpretation, I thought he misunderstood. But now even "jhmattern" also feels the same. Should I still argue that these two experts are interpreting in a wrong way ! And now I am a little confused.

I think I should have been more careful while conveying. I know what I was trying to say but perhaps my words do not reflect the same. Long ago, I read about 'gaps in effective communication'. This is an example.

ashvaj, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  18. WordTradeSolutions

WordTradeSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "The one who sells his own skills for peanuts will be making you earn towering profits!"
    Translation: There will be people amidst the ranks of cheap workers who do not know the value of their work, and they will inevitably end up earning peanuts. On the other hand, the buyers who chanced upon these people will end up earning gold from the peanuts they shelled out.

I'm no peanut-hungry writer, but I do know for a fact that this sorta thing can happen. But unless buyers have the time to wait for that almost improbable moment, I suggest buyers pay the standard rates for unique high quality content. I, for one, don't charge the standard rates, but I don't charge peanuts, either. I charge $.05/word for unique high quality content on IT and science-related subjects since I consider myself as an authority in these industries due to my post-graduate degree, my professional experience, and the current nature of my day job (I'm a malware researcher for a prominent anti-malware company). I also charge $.03-.04/word for content on business and finance-related subjects because I worked as a marketing staff member and a junior actuary before my post-graduate degree. Finally, I help my friends earn spare cash, and I offer our services (yes, we're a team) for as low as $.02/word on IT/science/business/finance-related subjects - I stick to those industries since I act as the editor of the entire team. Our rates don't go any lower than $.02/word since we need to keep at pace with the daily cost of living standards here in our country.

WordTradeSolutions, Oct 17, 2007 IP
  19. DixieCentral

DixieCentral Peon

Best Answers:
    I am ready to start at $50 for 500 -700 words

DixieCentral, Oct 27, 2007 IP
  20. irishcopywriter

irishcopywriter Guest

Best Answers:
    You can find people to write cheap sales letters, but do they convert? You will never find a "professional" copywriter, willing to compromise quality. To write a proper sales letter, you have to spend a lot of time doing research, and research takes time. You have to also get to know your market and be able to put your self in the place of the person that will be buying your item. You need to be able to feel what they feel and write that way. I have charged between $2500 and $7500 for a sales letter. Hope that helps!

irishcopywriter, Nov 1, 2007 IP