1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1&1, oneandone, 1and1, one and one, sucks!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mcfox, Feb 23, 2006.

1. adrian88

adrian88 Peon

Best Answers:
    the mysql for 1and1 does suck

adrian88, Mar 6, 2007 IP
  2. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    MySQL space limits are active with other web hosting providers as well so beware if you plan to exceen 100Mb that is a common figure there.
    100Mb is quote a lot in terms of text content though.

Clive, Mar 8, 2007 IP
  3. movingconcierge

movingconcierge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that this thread needs to stay alive and near the top to help new members stop from making a terrible mistake when registering new domain names. Thanks, MCFOX, for keeping this thread.

movingconcierge, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  4. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    You've brought up quite an old thread here.. Even though I was the last to post which means I was aware of the content of this discussion, if I were to pick up a host I would not exclude 1AND1 from the list, they would still be close to the top choices. Guess why.

Clive, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  5. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Shazz, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  6. GetToThePointRob

GetToThePointRob Peon

Best Answers:
    -

I use 1 and 1 as a registrar regularly. $5.99 for a domain, privacy included is just fine with me.

I have not ever hosted with them, nor plan to, simply because their features don't seem to offer enough benefit to me, or look like they might be designed to pigeon-hole you into a certain way of doing things, theirs. If my income depends on what might my sites can do, that's not enough control for me.

Only on transferring a domain, have I experienced some extra jumping through hoops, but in that case, I'd prefer it. In terms of no hassle canceling, you can do it online. True, they don't make it easy for you to find that out on your own, and they use to not have that mentioned in their FAQ, but they do now.

Brass balls equipped, I have no issue calling and tracking down whomever necessary to find the information I want, and I've got a lifetime of "dirty tricks" to slide right past any "gatekeeper" who tries to rope me off.

Canceling is at: cancel.1and1 DOT com (Sorry- not enough posts to add a helpful link - silly, but..).

You can cancel immediately, or upon time to expire, or 1 year from the expiration date, I believe. You can access all domains in one spot. BUT, I NEVER had to confirm any cancellation of a domain by mail; they do make you confirm twice I believe by email, one being with an authorization code. If you don't confirm twice, nothing happens. If you aren't sent a confirmation, request one again.

Phone support. I've had times when I've been on hold for much too long, but in today's online world, it bits the often "featured", we'll reply to your in email in 24 - 48 hours or less. That's wasted money in my book, if I can have an answer in 15-20 minutes instead. Also, note most of my short wait times, are calling off of peak hours.

But, it is obvious that their support is outsourced, and their expertise is read from a book, often in script form. Finding someone who speaks fluent English is a selling point these days, because it is anything, but the norm now - which I think is sickening - in America.

Overall, although I'm pretty self efficient, and don't need much hand holding, no complaints from me.

Here's A Trick You Should ADD To Your Arsenal:

Also, if you have disputes about billing, the easier, less frustrating route to take is to send them an email, CC it to yourself (record of date, time, etc). Keep it on file. Save it as a PDF.

But go to your credit card company, PayPal, or your bank to dispute the charge. Even if you have an ATM debit card with a Visa/Mastercard logo, despite being a "credit" card you have many of the same protections that you would. You'd be surprised how helpful financial institutions can be, but here's the trick, they don't advertise it.

Ted Nicholas had a major secret to his success: ASK for What You WANT.

It works wonders...

GetToThePointRob, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  7. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There MySQL seems bigger, as in the hold in alot more then it would appear on other hosts even though its limited to 100MB

Shazz, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  8. mrbullytin

mrbullytin Guest

Best Answers:
    I recently registered a domain name & bought hosting space from WebFusion. This was after careful consideration on comparing with other major providers advertised in magazines etc. I have deinitely learnt that no matter how much other people either recommended or complained about each provider that there is obvisouly PROBLEMS WITH ALL of them.

After only a couple of days with WebFusion I am already regretting choosing them and wish I had gone with my instincts and registered with 1&1. I've read about all the bad comments people say about 1&1 but at least you know what you're entering into and what you're actually getting for your money.
    WebFusion are crafty -
    I wouldn't mind them so much if it wasn't for the fact they don't provide a single subdomain in the package, and moreorless half of everything in terms of size and bandwidth other providers give.

Before making my mind up, and going on the little experience I have in buying hosting and domain names, I was led to believe you should opt to go with the company who don't bombard you with hundreds of this and hundereds of that because they probably offer a bad service. But from my experience and working on a client's site I have first hand experience using 1&1 and it's admin system has so far been a breeze plus you have plenty of subdomains and DNS management at your control.
    WebFusion, supposdly a leading a hosting provider, don't even offer DNS management which is poor. Instead you are told to transfer your domain to their sister company 1-2-3 Reg for DNS management. What a waste of people's time. I have to take some responsibilty for signing with WebFusion because I should have known about the pitfulls I've encountered. And now I'm feeling ripped off and searching for a new host which will hopefully have a stress free transfer (if that exists?).

I also noticed while researching into hosting/domain companies that there is no USEFUL customer comparison tables - only blogs and forums complaining about them - just like my post! :) Sorry for the rant but had to get this bad experience off my chest so my gf doesnt have to hear it!

mrbullytin, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  9. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a load of BS to me. 1&1 SUCK! Full stop. There is no room for doubt or for one-post wonders to appear out of the blue and say Webfusion is crap but 1&1 are great. Hmmm. Big competitors in the UK market and someone just happens to join DP to add a post knocking webfusion but praising oneandone. Nothing bogus sounding about that, is there?

mcfox, Oct 9, 2007 IP
    Clive likes this.
  10. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Like he mentioned himself, "his 2 cents" came out right after sighing up on the forum, isn't that a sign of an active member right from the start? I wouldn't wonder if he signed up using "WebFusionSuck" as his nickname ;)

If you do a google search there must be another post like this somewhere on another forum, copy and paste is easy these days.

Clive, Oct 9, 2007 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  11. engadven

engadven Peon

Best Answers:
    Thought I'd just add my experience with 1&1 as so far I've had no problems at all running a linux and MS account.
    I've certainly had worse problems with most other hosts I've used or my clients use.
    Perhaps people should name who they've found better and we could try them. Or hear from others who've had problems with that host.

engadven, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  12. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    My personal experience with 1AND1 is that they love charging you even after you cancel their services and all, but this has nothing to do with their actual services which I had no significant problems to mention, fast hosting, no downtime, it's their people that make it a mess sometimes.

Clive, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  13. movingconcierge

movingconcierge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't host with them, but I did have almost 300 names with them. Service was the initial problem with me. Their domain management control panel is archaic and professionally designed to impede your progress. There is no bulk edit anything. It takes like 5 clicks and an average of 30 seconds to change your DNS. That might not sound like a lot, and if you are a onesy-twosey type it's not. BUT if you are a domainer first and a developer second, then they are the black plague.

Also, I just don't get why people mitigate the victimization and outright thievery with OK hosting service. Where is the disconnect? If you heard through good sources that I had a company which gave away apple pies, but kicked every third dude in the nuts and who had no accountant would you sign up? So, why the downplay of others getting ripped of, genuinely ripped off, in your own community? Why patronize a company who so clearly does not care for its customers?

BTW: if you answered yes to my hypothetical, step this way :)

movingconcierge, Oct 9, 2007 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  14. nicerolex

nicerolex Peon

Best Answers:
    1and1 sucks unfortunetly I got suckered into using them years ago based on the hype. Now I have so many files directories and domains registered with them that it would cost me hundreds of dollars and tons of time (weeks probably) to move everything from their servers over to another one.

They are a bunch of lying thieves, at one point they actually moved me to a axilary server because they said I was using too much system resources which is bull since I am just using what I pay for, what really sucks is that they didn't inform me of this and I just noticed that my site kept crashing, when I called them it took around 15-30 minutes to get someone on the phone and the person is over in India, they try to pretend that they are American and try to speak with American Accents but it really sounds terrible and makes it even more difficult when communicating and then to top it off when you say that you can't understand they act like you are the one that doesn't speak english which makes you just want to "Beat Them Up",.

Whenever there is a serious problem don't think they will be able to fix it because what actual must happen is they have to email to problem over to a Technician over in England (alteast for me and keep in mind I live in America and use the 1and1 America site) whom then must look at the problem, if the Tech doesn't recognize the problem he will email them back saying he doesn't see a problem meaning you must contact them again after a week of not having the problem resolved and repeat the same process and then guess what sometimes the problem still isn't fixed the second time around.

It literally took over 1 month for an order for Certificate verification to be enabled for one of my domains and they kept telling us the problem is almost fixed for 1 month. Avoid these bastards as they are crooks. Their website looks pretty and all and the plans look very appealing but they are really complete crap, need a server I suggest using Godaddy or a company with 24 hour tech support that resides within the U.S. or your country, make sure they speak your language and try to alteast find some feedback on the service they offer.

nicerolex, Oct 10, 2007 IP
    movingconcierge and mcfox like this.
  15. ondoin

ondoin Peon

Best Answers:
    ondoin, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  16. bigaldizzler

bigaldizzler Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah man I was googling for some reassurance and ran into this article. Currently I am in the middle of cancelling my domains with 1and1.com (two of them should be deleted in a few weeks, and others I am waiting to be released to the public) I have used 1and1 to register about 12 names about a year ago. I stopped using them not because of their service at the time, but all the negative reviews scared me aways. So far I cancelled a few names in Aug. before renewal date and I found out a few weeks ago the names were released to the public so I am happy about that :D. Apparently no faxing is required now so its just via the cancellation link which is great.

I still have a few names that are going to be deleted so I hope everything goes well and I am out of the clear in the next couple of weeks. The cancellation link provides options to choose when to delete your package/contract but I guess I choose to turn off auto renewal instead of as soon as possible (I forgot which one) so I got to wait until Nov 4 and hopefully it will disappear from my account like the other domains package I cancelled did.

So far, the service aint too bad,the customer support via telephone is in the Philippines and its hard to make out whats being said sometimes...I found it easier to email for help. I saw a few positive review recently so I hope the company is improving for the better. As for now, I just want this taken care of so I can sleep easy.

bigaldizzler, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  17. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a forever long process and could cause a headache lol, but dosen't sound like nightmares simular to other people having troubles :)

Shazz, Oct 26, 2007 IP
  18. bigaldizzler

bigaldizzler Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi can anyone of you who completely canceled their 1and1 accounts confirm this? I am referring to domain registrations not hosting...

I have registered about 12 domains from 1and1 but never used any...I just purchased them reserving them for my future use, but decided I dont want any of them after I received a expiration notice on my first two domains.

I canceled all my domains via the cancel.1and1 control panel. I select "cancel entire package" for each package of domains and clicked on the emails sent to my email account. 2 of them I clicked on the special link, and the final one will be a confirmation mail, a total of 3 emails. Also one of my cancellation I found a link for a form I had to fax, I called in and it seems the person I spoke with took care of it for me. He said faxing is not require and he initiated the cancellation for the domains.

When I done so...the domains' status will be on delete, the domains will disappear from my account overview. So...after my last domains deleted my account was deleted as well. I can no longer login to my account, it says customer id no longer exist is that it with 1and1?

bigaldizzler, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  19. spdev

spdev Peon

Best Answers:
    i recently moved a one of my clients website and domain away from 1and1 to my own hosting and my god the service provided by one and one was TERRIBLE, 45mins to get through to them on the phone, i unlocked the domain and initiated transfer but they didnt actually unlock it til 3 days later and then the whole process just took AGES. WOuld never deal with them again myself too much hassle.

spdev, Feb 26, 2008 IP
  20. aaron09

aaron09 Guest

Best Answers:
    Below are some complaints I sent to 1&1 after a very frustrating and trying experience with their company over the past week in 2008. As soon as my accounts are unlocked, I will be moving all hosted domains to another company. I have never had such poor customer service nor have I ever felt so helpless and frustrated. I have recommended numerous people to 1&1 and now am forwarding this to them as well. 1&1 has been a wonderful company to me up until this last week when I had to deal with their customer service. This is the letter I will also be sending to the US main office as well as United Internet in Germany. Hopefully they’ll take this information and change their system so this never happens again. Read below:

To Whom It May Concern,

Friday, April 11, 2008, I was baffled to learn three of my domains were not only delinquent but 1&1 had sent me to collections and locked my account. My credit card had been stolen in 2007 and I had forgotten to update the card on the account. I am a web designer and currently hold over 70 domains with 1&1 and my business also has a business server.

I have never worked with a domain and Internet provider that didn’t try an alternative method of contact about upcoming payment or delinquency. I think sending me to collection over $16 was a bit unnecessary. Even more troubling is I have over $400 in charges coming up in May that would have been billed to the same incorrect card had this incident not occurred. I have a client rolling out a City website that is one of the sites delinquent. They want to launch at their board a week from today as well as go live to the public. The web designer working on this site was trying to get in to the account today and that’s the ONLY reason I had found out there was an issue.

After calling 1&1 and explained my predicament, I was given a code to call a collections agency to take care of the $16 late fee plus charges for being late. I immediately called the collections agency to pay the bill and she promptly gave me a confirmation number and told me to call 1&1 back and give them the confirmation code.

Upon calling 1&1, I explained my situation again to the service rep which said he could not help. I was told I would have to wait 3-4 business days before the account would be unlocked. I asked for a manager and I was rudely greeted when he got on the phone. Actually, no greeting was given at all. “Is this about the 4 day business day policy?” he barked. Later I realized the service rep (Josh) had not honored my request to speak with a manager.

I told Josh I had no idea why I had never received 1&1’s emails regarding the three default accounts but I asked Josh if he could update my email account online because I was afraid the other large amount of domains I held was already behind as well. Very curtly he let me know not only would he not change my email, he would also not change my credit card information to ensure it was updated. I was traveling in Sacramento and did not have all the 1&1 account information with me. I would not be able to change any of my information until I returned from my trip.

I had the great pleasure of telling my client they’d be locked out until next week possibly ONE day before their release. The 1&1 staff had absolutely no sympathy for the situation and was no help. 1&1 also informed me that they were no longer “required” to take the confirmation numbers from the credit agency and would not assist me in getting the account unlocked. I took this to mean that Josh could have helped me, but he didn’t feel like it and I deserved what I got for going delinquent. He also told me he couldn’t give me his last name because it wasn’t “policy.”

Shortly after we ended our conversation, an email survey was sent to me regarding my experience with customer service and Josh’s entire name was listed in the email. I gave the service poor ratings and pasted the above in the email survey.

I’ve been a big advocate of 1&1 for some time now and have referred several clients. I was about to move over another 50+ domains from IPowerWeb. I will now start looking for a new home for all of my accounts and I will never refer your company again. Furthermore, this letter will be sent to all of my clients that I have referred to you to warn them of your customer service.

I’ve been in the service industry for some time and the way I was treated today was unacceptable. I’m sure you deal with a lot of dead beats in your business that just are lazy and don’t pay their bills. I have never been one of those people and I don’t appreciate being treated like one over an honest oversight. Especially from a company that didn’t do all it could have done to avoid this situation.

I’ve been on the phone twice with your staff today as well as the credit agency. Now I will spend further time sending this via mail to several people on the 1&1 staff as well as United Internet AG including Andreas Gauger, Ann Marie Tropiano, Ralph Dommermuth, and Norbert Lang in hopes this never happens to another customer. I had been very impressed with your company until today. I’d hate for another consumer to have the same experience.

A simple letter or a phone call from 1&1 would have saved us all time and money. Both my mailing address and phone number, by the way, were correct on my account. Now I have the issue of restoring my perfect credit thanks to 1&1 which will require AMEX verifying the stolen card with the credit agency.

For your future customers, I hope 1&1 reconsiders its policies and considers sending out a late notice via standard mail or a phone call if someone goes delinquent. For us in the web industry who handle multiple domains and several clients, it’s not always easy and this seems like a simple courtesy that saves everyone grief, time and money. If email is the only way 1&1 plans on contacting customers, please allow a second alternative email address so it has two chances to reach a customer should one go bad or change. This could very possibly save this from ever happening again. And please consider changing your three to four day restart policy. This practice seems unnecessary, unproductive, and frustrating. It’s done nothing but make sure I never want to work with 1&1 again.

Update: Monday, April 14, 2008

Today I called the credit agency again and wanted to make sure the charge went through and to check and make sure this didn’t go on my credit report. I’m extremely anal about my credit and looking to buy a house this year.

The gentleman confirmed that my account had been billed and everything should be set to go. I wish someone would have let me know it was not a reporting agency. I stressed a lot over the weekend.

When I got back into town from Sacramento, I had a letter from the credit agency telling me of the delinquent account. I wish I would have got one from 1&1 a few months prior letting me know to update my account before sending me to the collection agency.

Update: Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday, April 17th I was still nervous because the account had yet to be unlocked and my client was sending me emails asking the status. I called 1&1 to see what was happening. While I was on hold waiting for a manager, I looked at my bank statement to be sure it had charged my account.

Sure enough my account had been charged April 14th for around $46 and it showed an origination date of the charge at April 11th. I told the rep the situation and she passed me on immediately to a manager. The manager (Ian) informed me that the account had still not been paid and he said he even logged in to the NCOF’s (credit agency) system and it showed it hadn’t been paid. That would have been nice if they would have checked that when I called them Friday after I paid and wanted them to check with the confirmation code.

As you can imagine I was again baffled and upset. I told him I had even called 1&1 back Monday to confirm with the confirmation number that 1&1 refused to take it down. I had discarded the envelope I wrote the confirmation number on while I was in the car.

Once again I was told I had to call NCOF with the code given by 1&1. I asked if I could have his direct extension and if he could help me have this fixed so my client could have access by tomorrow morning. He said he could get it turned on in the morning as Germany would get the request early as long as I could get this fixed with NCOF. He feared that NCOF had charged the wrong account!

Off I go to NCOF once again. I give NCOF the number 1&1 gave me and sure enough it shows I had not paid. I told the woman I had my online statement in front of me and even a number attached to the charge. There was no record that I had ever called and she couldn’t find the charge. I was given another number at another department at NCOF to call.

Now I arrive at a separate department and speak with Mr. Williams. He is as baffled as I am and we start digging into the system. Come to find out, either 1&1 had given me the wrong number or I had written the number down incorrectly. My payment went to another delinquent account!

I found this extremely upsetting since she asked to verify my name and I believe my address before we even started. How could my bank debit card get charged under a completely different name? How could my address mismatch not be caught? I don’t know who to be upset with here about the charge. I dare not call Citibank as they would freeze the account and cause even more problems.

I explained to Mr. Williams my predicament with my client and I need his help. He tells me to fax my bank statement over along with a note stating what we had discussed on the phone. I did and the fax was sent 2:50 PST. I figured I would call Ian and tell him it was in the works and perhaps have him speak to Mr. Williams so he knew what was going on.

I wait for the fax to go through and print out the fax receipt and started trying to call Mr. Williams back to ensure the fax had gone through. I keep getting a voice message saying they’d call me back and to leave a message. The third time I finally left a message and wanted to tell Ian so he could set things straight in their system and set things up for the unlock Friday morning.

I dial the 1&1 number and enter Ian’s extension.

“The billing department is now closed. Normal business hours are from 8-5 EST.”

As you can imagine my stomach dropped. Ian had not informed me about the time difference and I am not sure I he had set up for the unlock to go through.

I called NCOF again only this time I call the original number and ask them what happened to the other department. She informed me they too are on EST and would not be until morning!

1&1 nor NCOF had told me we were on a time crunch. Ian made it sound like he would set up the unlock if I got back to him with the info from NCOF. I had sent Mr. Williams a personal bank statement and was now unable to verify if he even received the fax. I was under the impression that both were available and willing to finally help. They were not.
    I had even asked for Ian’s extension and I couldn’t even reach his voice mail.

I am so flustered and angry that my card was charged to someone else’s account and that 1&1’s staff couldn’t take the time to help me out when it was obviously important. I only spend $2,000 with 1&1 per year which I know is not much. But I have never been treated so poorly as a customer. Just once in my whole experience, I wish I were treated the same way the people I was dealing with would like to be treated (especially from management).

As soon as I can get my accounts cleared I will be moving my entire portfolio elsewhere before you can charge me for the other 70 domains I have with your company. Even after I sent the past review, I received zero contact from 1&1 regarding this matter.

The last note I sent had a few suggestions as I hate people who just complain and never offer any solutions. I think I’ve run out of constructive ideas and I don’t feel anyone on the other side would listen anyway. 1&1 is an excellent company to work with unless you really need their help.

I am completely helpless at this point and I have let me client down. I feel horrible. They’re upset but not nearly as upset as I am. I have spent numerous hours dealing with this issue and now I will spend a few more taking the time to move all my accounts.

For all you readers, make sure you keep numbers handy for any domain accounts you may have and keep your credit card current. You have absolutely no control of your experience if you go delinquent. I realize that going delinquent was my fault. I’ve been in school and working full time. I never expected to have the truly horrific experience I had with these two companies over $16 and a stolen credit card.

aaron09, Apr 17, 2008 IP