1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learn PHP fast?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by sunster13, Oct 2, 2007.

Hi,

So today someone asked me if I'd be interested in a PHP/MySQL programmer job, and being a student, I'm very interested in the job as I'd prefer it anyday over a job at a fast-food restaurant or something.

I have worked with HTML and web development for a bit now, so it's not completely new to me.

What do you guys recommend for me to get up and going as fast as possible? I'm looking for eBooks, websites, or anything else you might know of.

Also, how long did it take for you to get good?

Thanks,
    sunster13

sunster13, Oct 2, 2007 IP
  2. smatts9

smatts9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start searching the web for tutorials. You can goto Barnes & Noble and they have programming sections with many PHP & mySQL books that walk you through learning the language. You just got to dive in somewhere and go for it, and you can always ask questions here.

smatts9, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    bogart and nico_swd like this.
  3. supercoltsfan

supercoltsfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I highly suggest getting at least two real books on PHP. One should be a general "teach you how to program in PHP" with some example apps and the other should be a reference book. Read the first book cover to cover and get a general idea of the concepts down. Then, use the reference book when you are actually sitting at the computer and need help with syntax.

The web is a great resource, too. But having a book you can take with you and read offline is helpful (and it makes you look smarter to your employer).

My 2 cents.

supercoltsfan, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    nico_swd likes this.
  4. tamilsoft

tamilsoft Banned

Best Answers:
    tamilsoft, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    nico_swd likes this.
  5. kendo1979

kendo1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    use uncle google and download php manual :)

kendo1979, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    nico_swd likes this.
  6. codyrockx

codyrockx Peon

Best Answers:
    There's so much depth to the language you're not going to learn everything super fast. The best way to learn any language, computer or otherwise, is to put it into practice. Play with it as much as possible

codyrockx, Oct 2, 2007 IP
    nico_swd likes this.
  7. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I realized that the only way to learn php is to memorize what every built in function does and how to select, update, and delete data from the DB using php then I easily managed. I tried to take shortcuts at first but when it comes to programming language you have to really know what you are doing. Funny thing is that php looks so easy to me now.

David26, Oct 3, 2007 IP
    nico_swd likes this.
  8. scriptman

scriptman Peon

Best Answers:
    www.php.net will be a great resource if you want learn through practical application.

Some things you will want to read up on include PHP efficiency and security. You need a penetrating understanding of the vulnerabilities that you are exposing your systems to when calling certain PHP functions.

scriptman, Oct 3, 2007 IP
    nico_swd likes this.
  9. theOtherOne

theOtherOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I was in America I discovered (and bought ;) ) a very good book on PHP. It is called Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours by Matt Zandstra... taught me nearly everything I need to know about PHP.
    I would definitely recommend this if you also like books ;)

theOtherOne, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  10. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as learning a language fast. I have been doing PHP for 8+ years (Since PHP 3) and still find better, faster, and more proficient ways of doing things.

Only through trial and error will you truly learn a language, because you learn what works, and what doesn't.

For instance, because I have done so many, I can throw together a website that does user accounts, login, logout, content pages only to members, content pages to members & guests, be able to see who is online and have a completely unique look and design within 10 hours. And if that is not impressive enough, it is completely protected from XSS Attacks, SQL Injection, and the other random methods that people try to use to gain access to your site.

drewbe121212, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  11. kendo1979

kendo1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    10 hour, wow.

sallute man, for me, i sucks at design so it took me quite long when doing the template things.

kendo1979, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  12. codyrockx

codyrockx Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing though that it's because you've setup a pretty good system where you can just piece those components together easily and overlay a new template. You're not fresh coding every part of each new project. Code reuse is amazing. ;)

codyrockx, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  13. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You are correct Cody. My template is completely object based, and that template object has more then a year + of rework. When I discovered object oriented PHP I was in heaven. Mixed with the proper output buffering techniques, complet sites can be setup in a matter of hours :)

drewbe121212, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  14. imagize

imagize Peon

Best Answers:
    Learning to create a PHP website quickly and actually understanding the concepts of what you are doing is two different things.

You shouldn't be concentrating on memorizing php function names. You can always go to php.net/FUNCTIONNAME if you ever need to obtain information about a function. This page will also include examples and user comments.

The manual is divided into logical sections like arrays, OOP, built-in classes etc so it is really easy to find good information quickly. When you come across something new about php make sure you read about it and understand what it does before just diving in and using it. You will probably find you will learn quicker this way and your code will be hardened.

PHP has got a bad reputation for security/exploits because novice coders jump in and create dynamic websites without knowing the first thing about input filtering, output escaping, character encoding and things like XSS. PHP appears easy to learn on the surface, so people jump in and start churning out code only to end up with a big blog of pure spaghetti code that is a maintenance nightmare.

As per some posts about code reuse. I used to develop my own components and have my own mini framework. Now I tend to use the Zend Framework which is a component library in itself. It is very easy to just take what you need and add the extra things to finish a project quickly. Zend Framework has increased my productivity and income significantly. The documentation and community is also excellent.

Good luck on your php journey!

imagize, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  15. TomN

TomN Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, imagize is on the ball with the php.net manual. You could also try things like nusphere.com - their PHPED is great for those nights when you cant remember the order of arguments for the mysql functions or whatnot. Speeds up my deployment, as well as what drew said about reusing code.

TomN, Oct 5, 2007 IP