1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Goodbye Google PageRank, Hello Google PageRate

Discussion in 'Google' started by olti, Oct 3, 2007.

I found this article on another blog, and have pasted here for ease of the reader to read the article. I hope that you guys take the time to read this article, as it was written well, and documents Google’s upcoming changes. They’re ending PageRank. The new system will be Google PageRate. I have posted the link to the original blog post at the end of this article.

I wonder how this bodes for all blogs/websites out there that make a money on advertising based on their relative PageRank values, i.e. a PR6 site can sell advertising space for a much higher rate than a PR3 site. Thus, by abolishing this system, what will happen?

While reading this article, I hope that you subscribe to my RSS feed so that you can continue to read more wonderful articles such as this one. I have edited it as per the authors instructions, and now give credence to the original author link which you can find at the end of this post. I am an avid fan of her blog readership, and I look to her for the latest happenings in the Adsense world.=)

UPDATE: In a move to shift more towards the PageRate system, the new Google Toolbar already allows people to Vote on Web Pages that they see. Those of you that have already installed the old Google Toolbar should uninstall and then reinstall this NEW BETA VERSION HERE. It comes with the voting functions in the form of simley faces. As with everything else Google. The rating system is not enabled on default setting. You will need to click on the Google logo, then select "Toolbar Options" from the drop down list. When the options page loads in your browser, check the "Voting Buttons" choice. You will then get the smiley and sad faces by which to vote with. Oh of course, you’re also going to need to agree to their new privacy policy which allows information to be sent to them via your browser. (Doh!).

Ironically, Alexa has also gotten had a similar browser bar such as this for quite awhile now. There have been rumours that Alexa favours people that use the browser bar by weighting/favouring the sites visited by them more than other sites… but these rumors have never been substantiated. Still though…you might want to consider installing the Alexa toolbar on IE, and then Using Firefox instead to surf the net and other things, and just use the Alexa toolbar on IE to visit your site regularly. *evil look* You can download the Alexa toolbar here.

This story, which was released first by the Adsense Tracker blog, has now been released in other places too. Even CNET has written an article about how Google is going to allow surfers to rank search results. I would suggest that you guys read that article as it is quite a lengthy article and quite well written too.

UPDATE 2: I was contacted by AdsenseTracker today myself and was told to not cut and paste articles from her site. In my defense, I at least had the courtesy of leaving a link to her site with the article and even posted at the top of the article itself that I had not written the article (I did write the thoughts above as well as UPDATES, but not the original article itself). Other sites, such as this one, here do not even link back to her blog, and yet put her full blog post up. What happened to linking back blog posts to ensure that they get link love?

For those of you that are unaware, of what PageRank itself truly is, here is a short quote from wiki….

PageRank is a link analysis algorithm that assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a hyperlinked set of documents, such as the World Wide Web, with the purpose of "measuring" its relative importance within the set. The algorithm may be applied to any collection of entities with reciprocal quotations and references. The numerical weight that it assigns to any given element E is also called the PageRank of E and denoted by PR(E). PageRank was developed at Stanford University by Larry Page (hence the name Page-Rank) and later Sergey Brin as part of a research project about a new kind of search engine.

That is how Google actually got their propriety search engine technology. And the rest as they say…is history. However, what has happened is that as we all know how the system works, everyone seeks to exploit the technology for lack of a better word, to rank better in the whole system and therefore make more money. As a direct result of this, you could say that there is a huge flaw in the system built by which to rate the quality of pages online. Those of you that have time should also read this article about what SearchEngineJournal had to say about google’s new foray to curb this problem - i.e. the Advent of PageRate. (yep…sorry Adsense Tracker, but you’re not the only one who has talked about this now… =) )

I have thus refashioned this article to bring the latest that I could find about PageRate, plus a discussion (which was sorely lacking when I first got the article) about the system.

Here are some quotes from Adsense Tracker and my discussions intertwined with them.

Page Rate will be established by the installation of an attractive voting widget on each page allowing readers to click either an up or down arrow to show approval or disapproval of the page’s content. After clicking the arrow of choice, the reader will be prompted to leave a comment about the page they just voted for. While all users are allowed to vote, only those logged into their Google account will actually have their votes counted or be allowed to comment.

Float It

Google users will also be able to go to the new "Float It" site where they may rate sites already rated by other Googlers. Once on Float It, readers are encouraged to examine pages other Floaters have submitted and vote to either "Float It" or "Sink It", thereby helping to bring exposure to the truly deserving web pages.

Rankings

Rankings will still be scored on a 10 point system based on a proprietary algorithm of Up Votes, Down Votes, Float Its, Sink Its, Bookmarks and the quality of comments received.

Now, as I already said earlier, the new beta Google toolbar seems to have the precursor to the "Float it, Sink it" functions. The smiley faces. =). I wonder if anyone else can see how Google plans to pretty much copy the StumbleUpon toolbar functions in this new PageRate regime. Furthermore, because they are Google, and because they are starting up a lot later than the rest of the pack, they will obviously perfect the formula put forth by Stumble, and also market it uniquely. Typical Google, don’t you think? I do not know the exact ranking system of Stumbleupon’s system, but I would probably believe it to be similar to this new PageRate system. Its always easier to use a metric system and divide and multiply by tens anyway. (I never understood how the british could come up with inches divide em by 16?!!)

Trip Over It

Another method of finding pages to rate will be by using the new Google Toolbar With TripOverIt. The new toolbar will have a TripOverIt button integrated into it as well as a window showing the current page’s Votes and Floats. With the toolbar installed, the user may click the "TripOverIt" button and be taken to a random web page to vote on. The user need not worry about selecting categories or preferences because the toolbar will also track their surfing habits and only serve up the kind of pages they like.

Doesn’t this also smell like the giant Stumble button to you? I always used to wonder why Google’s toolbar had some leftover space on my Firefox browser, and now I now where all that extra toolbar real estate is going to go.

Goo.glicio.us

For those Googlers who want to be able to return to the pages they really liked, Google has developed Googlicious. Googlicious is a social bookmarking community that allows users to connect and share their favorite pages.

As I already said, this is Google doing what Google does best. Not creating ideas, but…like Microsoft, perfecting Ideas. Think about it. First there was Friendster, Myspace etc. Then there came Orkut. There was YahooMail, Hotmail, and other mail providers. Then came Gmail. The lists are endless. You can’t fault them for having such an agressively successful marketing campaign though. People know good services when they see it, and obviously Google does provide some amazing services to boot. Thus, I suppose that Goo.glicio.us will probably follow the minimalistic designs of its social bookmarking brethren, but will no doubt have yummy ajaxified scribs in it, and will obviously have a ultra sleek patented interface. Figures.

From The Founders

In an interview posted on the Google blog, the founders of Google were asked if they were trying to take over the entire internet. Sergey Brin adamantly stated, "We absolutely are not trying to take over the internet!" Co-founder Larry Page interjected, "We don’t like to use the word ‘trying‘."

When even Google themselves failed to recreate the market opportunity with other services such as Google Video, they simply bought out their competitors at Youtube. Don’t be surprised if they choose to get Facebook next. Furthermore, I have quite a confidence, that unless a new superpower rises to Challenge the Google Gods, they will quite easily be able to take over the world. Looking at that quote Larry made above, I think I can rest my case. *cue Pinky and the Brain theme song*

I have quoted the entire article and therefore I urge you to visit the souce below and instead the article at her page instead.

Link to source is by the Adsense Tracker blog. I am an avid fan of this blog and I would suggest that all you read her blog posts. I also congratulate her on good luck in winning the Bronze package.

Copy & Paste from: http://www.anthonyjudelawrence.com/breaking-news-goodbye-google-pagerank-hello-google-pagerate/

olti, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  2. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Where is the official source for this info. I can't find it.

notting

Notting, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  3. ron21

ron21 Banned

Best Answers:
    ron21, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  4. trommo

trommo Peon

Best Answers:
    it's remains to be seen...

trommo, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  5. ringwraith

ringwraith Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't understand a joke when you see it, ay?

ringwraith, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  6. Overclock099

Overclock099 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another horror story..:)

Overclock099, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  7. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm well as you have now copied his copyrighted work here, and keeping in mind here gets spidered VERY often... he will probably end up with a duplicate penalty for his own page now *sigh*

all that said Where is the official GOOGLE source for this info or is it just more guesswork and rumors ?

vagrant, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  8. -LB-

-LB- Peon

Best Answers:
    Certainly made me laugh. :p

This is just another one of those rumours made by a webmaster who knows what he's talking about (in a sense).

-LB-, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  9. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    These are just rumors...

zexy, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  10. adsoncraigs

adsoncraigs Banned

Best Answers:
    stupid story. PR isn't changing

adsoncraigs, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  11. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've yet to hear Google hint at the elimination of PR. I think they are trying to modify it right now to plug up some holes that people have been taking advantage of.

davewashere, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  12. DarkX

DarkX Peon

Best Answers:
    Linkbait :)

- DarkX

DarkX, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  13. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Boring.......

Notting

Notting, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  14. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like StumbleUpon. I call BS.

mizaks, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  15. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Come on. 'TripOverIt'? I think someones taking the mickey. :rolleyes:

e10, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  16. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I must admit the writer is very open-minded, but I certainly think these are just rumours.

WatchOut, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  17. corlock

corlock Banned

Best Answers:
    maybe they are just making up stories because PR update has not been done yet and its been a long time isn't?

corlock, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  18. Johncena

Johncena Banned

Best Answers:
    page rank or page rate both are same in abbreviations - PR :)

Johncena, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  19. dtm

dtm Banned

Best Answers:
    i agree with watchout.

i think unless we get a email from google i will believe it.
    otherwise i think it is just a new rumour.

dtm, Oct 3, 2007 IP
  20. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Link bait, Link bait.. Damnit.

The Webmaster, Oct 3, 2007 IP