1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you have a High Alexa, how are you marketing your site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Woodcs82, Sep 29, 2007.

If you have a High Alexa, how are you marketing your site?

Whats your Alexa?

Whats your niche?

and what do you do Marketing wise to get there. Please share with us!

Thank you,
    C

Woodcs82, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  2. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    People who rank well for popular keywords in the Google would probably have higher Alexa ranking than most who just use other techniques and do not rank well. SEO is important long-term in my opinion.

EDIT: I want to add that Google is not the only way to recieve traffic. But I believe on large websites it is probably the bulk. I was listening to John Chow and a few others that run popular blogs on webmaster radio. John Chow doesn't recieve much traffic from search engines, but he's on the 7th page for his own name. And then again, he's established. Another popular blog recieved at least half from Search engines. It is important. :)

PHPGator, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My forum is at 141k at the moment. Though, at once point I made it into the top 100k and stayed there for several months (My thread discussing it Alexa rank 98,444)

At the time, the closest you could say I did to promoting it was simply having it in my sig here on DP, as well as on 4 other forums. It was before I had any real directory submissions.

It was on my Occult Forum, OccultCorpus.

Qryztufre, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  4. TGS

TGS Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting a high Alexa ranking isn't very hard...my Halo Trilogy Forum is ranked 42,751 and we get maybe 1% of our traffic from search engines. I also don't understand your question. Are you asking how to get a high ranking or how I'm using the ranking to make money? Please elaborate for me, so I can help you.

TGS, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  5. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just need advice for a new site that im starting.

If i don't have a large budget, how can i get traffic right away?

Woodcs82, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The first thing you can do to get traffic is to simply ignore Alexa all together. Focus instead on quality original content that is worth reading, and more importantly worth talking about. If you have good content, and people notice, they will link to it. It'll get socially bookmarked, and mentioned in a blog or two. Random search bots will like it better as well and give you a better SERP.

Alexa rank is only good for selling a site or selling links. Outside of the webmaster community it really means nothing. 90% of your visitors will likely not even know what Alexa is, let alone have a clue what their Rank means. The same pretty much applies to Google's Page Rank. Most of the people I know (outside of Digital Point) don't have a clue what that little green bar on their Google bar even means. What they do care about is the site they are on. If they like it, they will bookmark it. If they really like it, they will mention it on some forum, in their blog, or will email it to a friend. No "ranking" will change that, or even really effect it...though the reverse can is a bit different. If people like your site, that will effect your ranking, as they share it, and those they share it with share it again.

So in the end, focus on the end user, and the pages they are reading. Look into your stat programs (AWStats, Analytics, etc) and see what people are searching for when they look at your site. Weigh that against the time they stay on the site. If they stay long enough to read the content, then expand on that content (create off-shoot pages based on the incoming keyword clicks). That will perpetuate the cycle of people liking what they see, and in turn will up your ranking.

It may be slower to up your ranks in this fashion, but in the long run it'll do you much better then focusing on ranking, then content.

Qryztufre, Sep 29, 2007 IP