1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Guy at Google told me Yes, Paid Directories DO LOWER the rankings of a site

Discussion in 'Directories' started by quickwebdesigners, Sep 26, 2007.

1. sholiviks

sholiviks Peon

Best Answers:
    Paid and free directories are to stay. Google does not own the internet. My partners and I just launched bidding directory. Check it out guys.

http://www.Linklizer.com

sholiviks, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  2. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    while you may have the genuine intent (giving you the benefit of the doubt) to share a real encounter and info gained, think it is much more prudent to do some research to have some basis to start believing what you hear.....

Making such a posts just confuses those who are not very familiar with the industry and hurts the industry as well. At least post it as a question to seek feedback and not as a statement. This is a highly irresponsible thread and just shifts all the blame to 'someone else' while not taking any accountability.

jl255, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 and aditya_sfs like this.
  3. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    Call me crazy...but you have me convinced. I buy into the fact that the conversation actually took place. Two things though...

1. Real Google employees likely do NOT often disclose info about penalties and procedures at Borders.

2. In keeping w/ #1...google's been in business for a few years now and I've never read about or heard of an employee violating the NDA. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

tmeyer45458, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  4. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:

How did you know it was a google rep from a cali office? The IP is from Lithuania. :eek:

If your convinced the conversation took place, do you believe its true?

SteveNO, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  5. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    .......Nope:p

tmeyer45458, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  6. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay wonderful. :)

SteveNO, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  7. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

I used this and a few others... Im tracking ips :) on all

But the point is that that directory is well within the conditions as per NO sitewides or anything off such and its Free currently...

Im trying to update All now but we are in the middle of something else and are plagued with delays... but such is life

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    aditya_sfs likes this.
  8. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    SteveNO, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  9. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thats what its showing on mine ??? ...:)

well that still doesnt explain the occurance as its a trcking feature thats very precise ...
    well unless a skip is being done on it... never know then

About meeting the guy and he just spills the beans about his job ... ummm dont think but who knows :cool:

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  10. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    Geobytes shows 193.219.187.36 from Cali for me as well. Just trying to say , one of those tools seem to be working improperly.

SteveNO, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  11. regalwilliam

regalwilliam Peon

Best Answers:
    I am agreeing with you. Some times even employee don't know what's the actual procedure going on (technical details). I think Google employee is fake.:cool:

regalwilliam, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  12. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    CReed, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    aditya_sfs likes this.
  13. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Ohhh. Made me laugh out loud. What you say is like "Microsoft Corporation loosing business to some small few employees software company" .... Yeah thats it . Comparing a industry worth tens of millions of dollars to something which won't even be worth half a million dollar.

aditya_sfs, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  14. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    Good to see someone laughing out loud.

My question was not directly implying it, but opening it up for discussion. Just exactly why is it a fundamental problem?

PS. I can pretty much say this. yahoo! directory, botw, joeant, etc make hundreds of millions.

SteveNO, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  15. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Rand mentioned 14 problems with directories in his article. All the 14 which violate the G webmaster guidelines. Even though with those problems, some sites managed to rank better using directories ( in past, thats no more possible ). And thats the problem. When someone searches google for xxx, Google wants to return excellent quality sites related to xxx and thats upon which the existence of google depends. Once it stops returning related sites, google is gone from the internet. But still i can throw a crap site related to xxx and submit it to 100 paid directories and rank high for xxx. That hurts google and this is the fundamental problem. Hence google wants to devalue directory links and they are right.

Yes , yahoo directory , botw and joeant makes millions and they are good directories. They benefit the end user. Submit a crap site related to the xxx to yahoo directory. You wont be listed !

The statement that directories hurt SEO industry is totally baseless. You can't rank a site for competitive terms in major search engines just with the help of directories. Impossible ! ! !

aditya_sfs, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  16. SteveNO

SteveNO Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh huh. And the root of the problem are soley on directories. You can blackhat so many other ways.

No, but directories do help. And with this scare tactic going on, its only going to make the more serious directory owners tighten up their review process. And any one who is going to have a chance at SEO will broaden their range and not rely on just directories alone.

SteveNO, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  17. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Guess what... i was sitting on a nice beach in Greece this summer under the greek sun and i was reading a computer magazine after a while a middle age guy start to talking me about internet...Gooogle...Directorys...and some other stuff...he seems to know what he is talking about but i get very dry and i decided to go again in the sea,so the guy (who name ways arry by the way)he told me he will come with me for a swim....and he will tell me also a very big secret that he couldnt discuss in front of so many people (to tell u the truth i thought it was going to tell me that he is gay) So ...we swim at the clean blue sea for about half hour and we get far enough from everyone else....And then the guy told me the big secret EVERY DIECTORY WILL BURN IN HELL BY GOOGLE (except BOTW,YAHOO and DMOZ because there are friends of ours)I look p the guy and i just wondering from where i know him because all the time he is looking familiar to me,and then sundenly it hit me and ask him...ARE YOU LARY PAGE??? Hes answer was yes!So i sunk the bust@rd untill he left his last breath.I return to the beach and i was happy that directories dont get hurt.......BUT THIS NOT HAPPEN.....I GUESS HE WASNT LARY PAGE!!!!!

scoobby, Sep 26, 2007 IP
    tmeyer45458 likes this.
  18. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    Your correct. I've said this many times. If Google penalizes a site for being linked too from certain types of sites the web would get screwed! Why? Because of guerilla tactics by your competitors! All your competitors would have to do is submit your site to these so called penalized websites that lower your ranking if they want to beat you! This is another reason why I say there is no way Google can penalize all directories! If they did people would start going around submitting their competitors sites to these directories to get their site penalized! Think about it.

PixelStreamed, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  19. quickwebdesigners

quickwebdesigners Peon

Best Answers:
    Take every word I say to be a lie =P

Like I said, if you have any doubts, this is fiction for you. As for myself, I have no real reason to lie since I don't have a directory, I don't submit to directories, I don't pay for directories. You can believe it or not, its there, its done.

*Edit: Thanks for those who gave me a positive rep for this. It really helps me cancel out those red ones. I kind of had a feeling I would get reds for this but I'm sure this will help more people than it hurts so I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot for it

quickwebdesigners, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    Instigator and (deleted member) like this.
  20. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:

Ok maybe is true maybe this guy trick you maybe you make it up:p
    but i am happy you inspire me to write this great story :)

scoobby, Sep 27, 2007 IP