1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need advice on high traffic hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Chios, Sep 26, 2007.

I run a game site that get currently 1000+ pageviews a day (4 months old) but with the promotion that I have done I expect it to go to 10x that ...

My currect host (shared) has lots of problems and I am thinking of changing
    It gives lots of space and lots of traffic but I get a lot of max_user_connections errors and I assume that MySQL server can't handle too many users .... (not sure though)

Any way I need to change

I am looking at Site5 since I have heard good things about them and ixwebhosting (not so many great things)

Do you guys think I should be looking for a VPS or dedicated for 10000 uniques a day or is there any shared one that would probably meet my needs

Thanks all for your answers

Chios, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  2. sky22

sky22 Guest

Best Answers:
    I personally would go with a VPS or if I thought it was going to grow fast a dedicated server.

I have never ever had a shared host that has been very good and if you get a VPS or dedicated server you can install what you like and optimize it for your website. :)

Sky22

sky22, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  3. mbfootball47

mbfootball47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend a vps and if it grows any more get the security of a dedicated sever

mbfootball47, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  4. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for the consideration, but the truth is I don't want to bother learning to administer my own VPS, I am comfortable with Shared right now and I wish I could get the easyness of shared in a VPS (or is that how a VPS is ?)

Any good shared that you could recommend ?

Chios, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  5. cb711

cb711 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how much space and bandwidth do you use?

cb711, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  6. sky22

sky22 Guest

Best Answers:
    You could get a managed VPS so the host installs the updates and everything so would be as easy as shared. :)

Sky22

sky22, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  7. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    currently I use 30GB traffic per month/3GB of space
    The traffic I want to leave some room to grow ... lets say 20x which is 600GB

Chios, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  8. cb711

cb711 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest just using hostgator or something for now. I don't believe that a VPS is necessary. Until you come closer to that 600.

Are you using cPanel?

cb711, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  9. bunker

bunker Peon

Best Answers:
    dont go with the VPS go with a private dedicated server. VPS is also a shared server the only difference with webhosting is that you share the server with fewer people however these neighbours sure will be using much of the server resources. cost of dedicated and VPS are not so different

bunker, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  10. cb711

cb711 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a big difference. Also, he said that he doesn't have the time to learn how to manage a server.

cb711, Sep 26, 2007 IP
  11. harrysmith

harrysmith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Arseniy a friend of mine is running a game site " Gamebalance.com " which is having a great traffic. He is using Managed Dedicated Hosting from www.webhsting.uk.com and is quite happy with them.

Rather then using VPS i will suggest you to try to get a dedicated box.

harrysmith, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  12. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Harry, but,
    - I am not familiar with dedicated, semi-dedicated, managed and what they mean and neither I have the time to learn
    - plus the budget of the site and the revenue it brings they don't allow it yet ...

by the way I have seen gamebalance in stumbleupon, I should talk to him ...

Chios, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  13. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you with dedicated/manage. DONT use hostgator for dedicated. Their server is slow i find. If you are looking for cheap dedicated, go for managemybox (i got one server there, and it's pretty fast)

If you think you need for speed and dont mind paying extra, go for softlayer (many good review and i'm going to have another deciated from there)

toby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
    Chios likes this.
  14. seo_chatbox

seo_chatbox Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are not familiar with hosting stuff then you should go for managed hosting services which means the hosting company will take care of your website's technical issues.

seo_chatbox, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  15. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:

like I said: just use managemybox, it's cheap and reliable. The ticket response time is good too.

toby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  16. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the responses,

in other words guys, managed will feel like a shared server but I will have lots more power ?

Chios, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  17. harrysmith

harrysmith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are welcome :)

If you are not aware of managing server then it would be always better to have managed hosting so that your server is looked after by your host.
    You should choose a host who is around you for 24x7x365 with easy communication medium such as live chat/Toll free number etc....

As your site is a game site which will have simultaneous multiple connection so better to to use Managed Dedicated Hosting.
    If you are tight at your budget you may think of Semi-dedicated too.

No no... you got wrong in shared hosting your recourses are shared with others and if someone is playing worng then you may have to face for him. Whereas in Manage Hosting your server in only yours and it is not shared with other and it is looked after by your host if anything goes wrong.
    Your host monitor it 24x7 for it's uptime and you may request them for installation of certain scripts for you or removal of any unneeded application around the clock.

harrysmith, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  18. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Harry
    thanks again, but I did not make myself clear !!

I mean in a managed dedicated server I will just have a control panel, much like CPanel and that is all I care for ? or do I need to be learning the intricacies of Linux administration ? (What is the difference of VPS ?)

Chios, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  19. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For me, dedicated server is something you have control in all aspect since it is rented to you and only you!, for VPS, it is possibly you are sharing with someone else.

of course you have your own Cpanel (which will cost you around 20 -25$ per month, in additional to the cost of your server)

Just go for manage dedi box like Harry said. It's better for your gaming site.
    I got my game site hosted in dedicated host too and the speed is better and so does the revenue (i got around 2.5K unique daily visitor)

hey, chios, wanna exchange link?

toby, Sep 27, 2007 IP
  20. Chios

Chios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    toby
    on top of the cost of the dedicated you need $25 for a control panel ? this is getting too expensive for my budget (revenue from the site) maybe later on

Anybody has tried http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/

(Toby of course PM me your game link, mine is in the signature)

Chios, Sep 27, 2007 IP