1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Penalzation Round 2

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 25, 2007.

1. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Truth Hurts. I dont see a invalid point there. He properly referred to threads where people openly shouting openly "Hey I Have PR5 Directoryyyyyyyyy submit now and get tons of link juice ! ! !". What else you need. Dig the forum and you will see this used to happen here daily.

I guess Google's next target is going to be the tens of blog networks which i see in link sales section "Your link on 600 PR3+ Blogs . Get 1200 Links Instantly" and so on and on.

aditya_sfs, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why? Because DMOZ is a site of "authority"? Well, it's not...

There is of course that Link Farm question that hits all directories. Then there is the Duplicate Content problem brought about by all it's clones. In fact, this is a bigger problem then most directories, as it's content is 100% identical, where as many other directories many similar submissions, but not all webmasters submit to all directories. There does seem to be support of having paid links, and in many cases some sites have enough listings to make it seem like they are "featured" (Topix for example). So all in all, DMOZ is nothing all that special.

You can't even say "well, Google uses them, they must be OK" as that is an invalid argument. Firstly, "Google Directory" has not been penalized, so maybe it's just Googles way of keeping itself on top? Then again, maybe on someones way to nix all the directories someone accidentally updated Googles version...after all, the last time it was updated was back in 2005, so I doubt it's some kind of prize for the Search Engine.

Speaking of it being updated once every two years... don't you think if it was truly an authority site that google would check it a bit more often then that?

Qryztufre, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok. Look at the HYPOCRISY running around.

Someone gets penalized. Someone went after the Internet Press. Tells them that he drops all paid links just to get back in rankings. Leaving the other ones because of his business and clients.

Is that ok with you guys ? Is it because that the guy has never slammed anyone you all kept your mouth shut ? But Popotalk speaks garbage I guess we turn on him. Pathetic.

I'll always walk alone on my path if needed be but I'll make sure these A**holes are always seen for their ethics and bad business practice. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  4. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    olddocks, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you fancy yourself a 'hero' and want to take a mighty stand for a cause "in the future and all would benefit" I would recommend spending your time on a more worthwhile cause than web directories, world hunger? AIDS? world peace? poverty? and 4,456,987 other causes that are WAY more important than web directories and how google ranks them. But if you are looking for attention on DP and green rep from all the interesting characters that have crawled out of the woodwork to comment on the 'evil' of web directories then you should spend your time here taking the heat by yourself and walking alone to make sure that ALL OF US NEVER EXPERIENCE ANOTHER ONE...

jg123, Sep 25, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Life goes on. We'll just have to continue to redo things in a better, more google understanding kind of way.
    Until then, I thought I'd offer a message from google...

Good luck with your directory jude.

(oh, i still think things will return eventually)

an0n, Sep 25, 2007 IP
    banless and iceberg like this.
  7. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see that too..... just came home and have a strong headache!
    and the news has only aggravated it :(

what i am currently doing:
    taking out / weeding out the three letters and the term S E O from my directory, .... i read this someplace, google is going for information, and anything related to this term will get out! ...
    not sure how this will help, but if it does .... im good!

(this is just what im doing, ... not recommending, not promoting, do at ur own risk!)

will write later, .... i need an disprin!

EDIT:
    PS:An0n i love that song, .... and stingingly enough, it fits the situation fantastically!

msolution, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  8. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always thank Biz-Dir is a good quality directory,sorry to hear of it.
    Not hear of any PR3 or PR2 directories penalized by Google

jetbrains, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is an interesting thought and needs further research. My two blogs that have SEO in the domain name, neither rank for their name but all my other blogs do, even the ones related to link building or directories etc....

I started a thread a few weeks ago on sitepoint, Should all SEO be Banned and I find it interesting that they may somehow be targeting this term.

jg123, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  10. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dave E, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  11. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Lets stop making asumptions as truth :)

amitpatel_3001, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  12. eli03

eli03 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    eli03, Sep 25, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I do hope so. Those blogs are giving away backlinks so easily and google spots nothing. A few web directories, some with additional content like dirsensei and aviva end up getting banned....dang. Its a shame, it really is. You never realise what you miss until its gone. We can all survive without google traffic, but its certainly a shame...

mikey1090, Sep 25, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  14. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think we need to contact Matt Cutts!

Freewebspace, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't understand this. I know these two directories add good listings everyday so it seems to me that they aren't selling links, they're building real directories. It's sad but I hope the owners will keep building.

These threads are doing no good. Maybe we should all keep quiet and just work on our directories?

compostannie, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  16. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, maybe we should be quiet as we may wake up minstrel.;)

CanadianEh, Sep 25, 2007 IP
    pipes and jmort732 like this.
  17. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No I’m not happy about it, but I do feel that the way you were knocking us owners that were hit by google that it was only a matter of time before you yourself had the same problem.

We all have to change our way of working, thinking and promoting if we are to survive.

I’m sure that all the fighting that’s goes on doesn’t help anyone.

Back on Topic

Thanks for informing us Dave.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  18. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does send good amount traffic to good sites. No exceptions. make a site which is really really useful to the end user and promote it adhering to the google webmaster guidelines. It might take a bit more time, but the victory will be yours.

aditya_sfs, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I find it interesting that a Made for AdSense site is the number one result in a search for "DMOZ".. Says a lot about a lot of things.. I guess I will leave it at that...

Mia, Sep 25, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be back later I am whacking more sites at DMOZ. :D

Thanks for the green and I got your message.

@DaveE
    You know that bribing dmoz editors is a big NO-NO right. Even though everyone comes from the same place. No special FAVORS right ?
    http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/England/Lancashire/Lancaster/
    Let's make this thread exciting.

Just let me know if you want more. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Sep 25, 2007 IP