1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's 2007-Q3/Q4 PageRank (PR) Update

Discussion in 'Google' started by hitboy, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_wonderful

mr_wonderful Peon

Best Answers:
    mmm... bacon...

mr_wonderful, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  2. BFTUK

BFTUK Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe not using solely adwords but there are numerous companies that add to their brands presence using Adwords. Ebay for example.... You used to be barely able to surf Google without seeing Ebay.

BFTUK, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    sabian1982 likes this.
  3. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:

I dont have ads on my sites - I sell useful stuff instead - it is called ecommerce and is generally accepted to be more fruitful that MFA websites :)

Wealdie, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What you know about marketing and human behavior plus $2 wouldn't get you a cup of coffee. Good content keeps a visitor on your site and keeps them returning for more. Ads refresh with each page load. And if an ad catches the visitor's eye - while browsing that content - the visitor is there to see it and potentially to click on it. Offer crap content and the visitor doesn't stay long enough to even see the ad.

What utter bullshit. Who told you that?

Excuse me? Where on earth are you getting these strange and misinformed ideas?

minstrel, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  5. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok minstrel, let's take one example, say travel. if you have a travel related website, and the visitor goes to your website about, say, Paradise City Your website has everything the visitor wants to know about Paradise, history, restaurants, plus hotel reservations, airline tickets, city tours, etc. etc. etc. now what ad is the visitor going to click on? you have satisfied her 100%. she will only click on an ad if your site lacks specific info and an ad (claims to) address her need.

the same goes for just about any topic - ads are superfluous if the website is perfect, unless you are talking about competitors trying to steal traffic using adwords, and competitors are often blocked by the site owner.

one of the many differences between the web and traditional media is that when you click on an ad, you lose the original content. this does not happen, say, with a magazine. if you are reading a periodical, you can look at the ads, and go on reading the story. on the web that is technically possible, but does not happen in practice. so the ads become an alternative to the content, not a complement.

in conclusion, of course you need good content, but if it is TOO good, your click thru rate will suffer, because why would visitors need to click on ads? remember, if you are into SEO your traffic comes from SE's, which means your traffic is comprised of people looking for something specific. once they have found it, they're done. and if you offer it for free, that's that.

minstrel you often have unethical people trying to drain their competitors adwords budget by clicking on a particular ads more than once. thank goodness google doesn't count those. do a little reading on this.

gotta go, but i'll teach you more next time. keep those questions coming!

a metaphor. actually i'm vegetarian. but it doesn't sound quite right if you say "bring home the cabbage".

BY THE WAY, for those of you interested in the PR update thingy, it ain't happened yet. so we are just arguing to while away the time, as usual.

monosodium, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  6. leet

leet Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Back to the topic, I see another BL update is going on right now.

leet, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Hopefully they don't screw this one up, or they will be forced to delay the PR update again.

Will.Spencer, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  8. Mr. SoundOff

Mr. SoundOff Peon

Best Answers:

What does brand have anything to do with it? A good website (just like a TV show) offers something that attracts viewers and keeps them coming back for more. "Lost" or "Seinfeld" doesn't care about brand. The producers just care about keeping the show interesting enough to tune in week after week. The more viewers that are attracted, and the more that keep coming back, the better the chances an advertisement is seen and might be clicked.

In other words, you have a better chance in getting a click from someone who returns to your website 30 times, over someone who just see's it once, and then never comes back because the website sucks...

Mr. SoundOff, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Again, this betrays a lack of understanding of human behavior, especially internet behavior. People shopping for travel bargains or searching for travel information on the net rarely confine themselves to a single website, for starters. And if they see a relevant ad on a travel site, the fact that it is related to the information they seek doesn't decrease the likelihood of them clicking on the ad - it INCREASES the likelihood. What do you think contextual advertising is all about? :rolleyes:

To use a better analogy, look at the case of full page ads in a magazine, especially multipage ads. You read the ad and then continue with the article. Or you ignore the ad and skip to the rest of the article. The analgous behavior on the net is the browser back button - every browser has one and every surfer knows how to use it.

No. See above. You are describing (1) an atypical shopper and (2) a bad shopper.

I suggest you do a bit more reading on this. You're mistaken, plain and simple. Google doesn't stop counting clicks - if they detect invalid clicks, aka click fraud, they disable the AdSense account.

minstrel, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  10. russianzio

russianzio Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see it. Which DC are you using? Or you are talking about Webmaster tools?

russianzio, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  11. Sutocu

Sutocu Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the point is not to leave the reader unsatisfied, but to present him with related ads. There are very few topics that you can perfectly capture in a single web page. Even if your page about Paradise City gives every possible bit of information the reader wants to know, he might still want to see options. Not every traveler interested in Paradise City actually ends up going there. Besides, if airline tickets are sold on your site, chances are you are not using AdSense to monetize the site :)

Actually, they also stop counting the clicks. Ever had those $0.00 clicks on your site? It happens when the same user clicks on more than one ad on the same page. Now coming back later and clicking another ad is a very different thing, and something you should hope for.

Sutocu, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  12. Drv

Drv Active Member

Best Answers:
    In webmaster tools, i see it too.

Drv, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  13. russianzio

russianzio Peon

Best Answers:
    This update happened a week ago. Old news :)

14. Drv

Drv Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are wrong! Right now, today updated again, maybe not for you, but i see changes.

Drv, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  15. Sutocu

Sutocu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's true. I checked it out last time someone noticed something in this thread, and saw no change, now there are some links that have only existed a couple of days. Something has happened, though I doubt it'll mean a PR update any time soon.

Sutocu, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  16. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The update in Google Webmaster Tools has nothing whatsoever to do with the public export of either backlinks or PageRank. It's a very common occurrence.

-Michael

mvandemar, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  17. russianzio

russianzio Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed! This topic should belong to a new thread "Webmaster tool BL update" :)

mvandemar likes this.
  18. Sutocu

Sutocu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, at least it's a bit more on topic than rest of the thread... :rolleyes:

Sutocu, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  19. senaia

senaia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The more the update is late, the more attention google is getting. They love it and laugh about it as we speak.

Pathetic if you ask me !

senaia, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    mvandemar likes this.
  20. russianzio

russianzio Peon

Best Answers:

Most of all, there are no kids working there, so trust me, nobody is laughing. The toolbar PR update is not a big priority for Google. All the sites have their current rank values which are visible in our SERPs, which is way more important.

Jim4767 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.