1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The idea behind a bidding directory blatantly breaks Google's rules

Discussion in 'Directories' started by PixelStreamed, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Looking at my stats, the blog sections of my directories get hit the most. Comparing referrals, search phrases found thru etc. I do know that people out there are searching directories in addition to search engines to find what they're looking for.

Blogmaster, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Utter nonsense. First, I don't believe you for a moment - I doubt if you even have the data you claim - I think you just read an0n's post and threw that post together. Second, if they're reading a blog on a directory site, they are directory owners or webmasters thinking about starting a directory. Third, no human being who is not a directory owner or a webmaster is "searching directories" unless they are very spcific niche directories. Fourth, no human being is going to waste time on a bidding directory at all, unless they are looking at the competition. As I've said previously, if you have regular searchers ending up at your directory, they are almost certainly clicking away back to the search engine.

General directories are simply not an efficient way of finding information on the net. And anyone who prefers inefficiency is going to be going to Yahoo, not you.

minstrel, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    before the google penalty, i had people reaching detail pages from google, then clicking the listed site. Thats how people find info from directories. Few will search them, but they do visit the site....

mikey1090, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You can "think" what you want, but blog related traffic is what I get more than anything. Some from www.bloggertalk.com , some from search engines.

Once again, all you do is generalize. There are many good directories out there. You judge a whole industry by what you see on DP. Pretty narrow sighted/minded, wouldn't you agree?

Blogmaster, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Then they're not regular searchers, are they? They are directory owners or webmasters looking to start one. Why else are they reading blogs about directories?

Thank you for proving my point.

minstrel, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right on and I suggest that they read your previous post. ;)

popotalk, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  7. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And you still have time to post here at DP?
    Wow... you rock!

pctec, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:

No. He doesn't have time to rock. :eek:

minstrel, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  9. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I have 18 staff now and have mastered the art of "delegation" - one of the perks of running a "real" business.

So, I have time to lurk on various forums and learn more about SEO - or, in the case of these forums, give advice and opinions to help others (even if my "advice" upsets some folks here and there) :)

My next project will be to license my business model worldwide - but you need a good business model to be in the position to do that :)

Wealdie, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  10. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh... I see now :p

pctec, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  11. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    The big news about a huge bidding directory selling just validates all my points and those others that have been on my side in this thread.

1) Everyone knows Google is a big factor in decisions made by both buyers of links on directories and the owner of those directories.

2) Without Google, the directory business wouldn't be even 1% as big as it is today!

3) If you still think Google isn't a factor as to making money on your directory then place "nofollow" links on all links in your site. Then see how much money you will make.

I'm not trying to target or put down any particular company or person. I just feel that many of us need to stop being in denial about not caring about Google.

I'm in the same boat as everyone because I'm in the industry, I just admit that Google has a big control over my income and the success of my directories. In addition, I keep my advertising as sensible as possible so that it is not considered spamming and SERP manipulation to Google.

I still believe bidding directories went over the edge with their business model and really placed a huge target on the whole directory industry, and Google could just not ignore it anymore.

Hey, maybe things will get straightened out and the penalities will be removed, I feel the end of this book hasn't been written yet and we will know around the end of the year when either nothing has changed or Google, or their rep (Matt Cutts maybe) makes some sort of announcement.

The thing about this is that no matter how much I think about it there is no way for Google to use it's algorithm to completely ban all directories in general without affecting other regular sites also. And I have a feeling the guys at Google are trying to find a solution to this problem, because right now the only way Google can ban directories is to do have the manpower to penalize directories one by one.

PixelStreamed, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    What's so difficult to understand? Does Google have to kill off Aviva and Alive before the rest of us finally get the message? Where are these well respected "industry leaders"? Have they come out publicly and offered any explanation to the people who still half heartedly add their tatty sites to the list of the "Big Five". Wasn't it the owner of Alive who was so obviously talking up the value of bidding directories after it became noticeable that Google was delaying the PR update? Where is he now?

workshop, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  13. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry for the last double post...the first one has the full message.

PixelStreamed, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  14. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Gotta love that word "delegation"...Just runs off the lips smooooothly :D

Cheap SEO Services, Sep 22, 2007 IP