1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The idea behind a bidding directory blatantly breaks Google's rules

Discussion in 'Directories' started by PixelStreamed, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    True, but if i analyze my backlinks i can make a pretty good guess :D

mikey1090, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  2. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure you can :)
    I also believe Zorg will be at least PR5 but only if Mr. Google will stop acting childish :cool:

loredan, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  3. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    If the idea of bidding directories was for traffic how about all the owners add nofollow and see if there submissions don't plumet..
    You guys sell PR, whether bidding directory or normal face up to it, i dont care since i buy and sell links too but you all constantly moan about google when your breaking their rules.

jabb, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  4. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. You bid up so that you can get nearer to the homepage so that it will increase your traffic. I have bided on BigWebLinks just for the traffic. I managed to get to the first page in my category and the traffic is nothing compared to what I thought it would have been therefore I have stopped bidding in that directory as I only wanted to do it for the traffic. I don't care about PR. There's to much risk involved when it comes to spending thousands so that you can just try and increase your search engine rankings.

I prefer to just find good places to advertise that will give me good traffic and if it doesn't work then I would move on to another place. I find that if you have a good site, then if you get traffic that you pay for, then people will automatically link to your website anyway, which will help in rankings.

Just my thought on this situation.

john269, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  5. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just dont see the value in paying all that money to have your site move up in a bid directory. There are probably thousands if not at least hundreds and hundreds of them out there.

Who actually visits them? Where will your traffic come from? Do you know anyone who browses through a bid directory (or any directory) when looking for information? Most will use Google, Yahoo, or MSN for doing searches.

(Probably) The only people who visit the directories are webmasters looking for places to get links so if you have a directory yourself you may be able to get a little traffic from some of them. But if you have a general interest website you may as well forget it. If I am searching for info about my aquarium fish I wont be looking at a directory, bid for placement or otherwise.

kentuckyslone, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  6. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think people forget one thing...
    There are more search engines than Google... Google is NOT GOD!
    They only think they are. So at the end of the day, I don't really care what "g" thinks. (Little g)

pctec, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  7. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    No they aren't God by any means but they do send me thousands of visitors each and every week :)

8. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And Yahoo don't?
    The fact is if little g keeps it up, they will fall down and another search engine will gladly take up the slack.

pctec, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  9. 121603

121603 Peon

Best Answers:
    simple answer to your question..

Directory owners visit bidding directories looking to buy a link (paid link) and sees your Paid Directory being advertised so they also check it out to have their sites added. But that doesn't mean bidding directories are for directories only. It's just an example. :) More can be done on niche bidding directories. :) For example games and gambling. ;)

121603, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  10. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    I get some traffic from Yahoo , MSN and a long list of other SEs but only Google sends me thousands per week. If I recall correctly Yahoo sends about 1000 to 1500 per week, MSN about 300 and the rest get lower.

Thats just me and my sites, I am sure others have different results from the SEs.

Can you guess how much traffic I get from the hundreds (literally) of directories I have submitted my sites to? Right about 0 (except for directory critic - I do get traffic from them to my one directory and my article directory)

I understand that, I just think it would be rare for anyone looking for gaming info to go to a bid directory. I am doing searches all the time and I do see directories in the search results but not very often - almost never

11. SearchBuster

SearchBuster Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh god the OP is another directory - Google expert.

SearchBuster, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that selling links on a bidding directory goes against what Google wants. But why would you build sites only to please Google? Many sites out there sell advertising, and it's a great way to list advertisers based on how much they bid.
    People can do whatever they want with their sites.
    Why people buy the advertising is really their own decision.
    Let's say you own a good domain name with type in traffic about anything, wouldn't you want to purchase advertising if that traffic related to what you have to offer?

Blogmaster, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  13. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    top answer there!
    after all, i get equal traffic from yahoo and msn as compaired from google! and this is a directory category, so there is no point discussing google all day long, let google do what they like to, it's there PR and it's there serps!

stop worring about google, and get back to work, directories will stay there forever, wheather google likes it or not!:)

uttoransen, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  14. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    off topic : Blogmaster your avatar rocks :D

Can i have it too?

15. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    i've been thinking the exact same thing since the first person posted about buying links on bidding directories for the traffic. Let's face it almost no one buys links on directories for the traffic because you get practically ZERO traffic from directories. We all try to pretend we buy links on directories for other reasons like traffic or for advertising, but the only advertising your getting when bidding on these directories is towards the people in the directory business. If Aviva or one of the big directories decided to place nofollow tags on their links there would be no way they could sell as many links as they do today.

PixelStreamed, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  16. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google has always said, make sites for users not search engines.

Adding nofollow is changing our sites in favour of google, so why should we?

17. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Jabb and PixelStreamed just came straight out and said where I was heading earler in the thread (before I broke off to watch the Italian Grand Prix).

If it is all about traffic "nofollow" for sure and all is fine and dandy with the "rules". I did get a unique visit from a directory one time (although I only have a few hundred listings).

Show me traffic and I'll show the $$$$ every time

Traffic rocks :)

Wealdie, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  18. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    Your missing the whole point. the argument here is that bidding directories directly break Google's rules of manipulating SERP's by buying links. This has nothing to do with Adwords.

PixelStreamed, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  19. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    Well put - We are 'told' not to build for the SE's but then we are told to use no follow (which is building for the SEs) Reminds me of my mom and dad sometimes when I was a kid :)

20. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How is a bidding directory manipulating SERPs more than a flat fee web directory? jesus....