1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Candidate for QBC listing - Aviva Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by paidhosting, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muqadas.Wattoo

Muqadas.Wattoo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said smub. I totally agree with you.

Muqadas.Wattoo, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    Instigator likes this.
  2. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    It is a strange submission policy.

Here are the ways to get in Aviva, apparently:

1) Pay $49 annually for a link rental
    2) Pay $74 annually for a featured link rental
    3) Compostannie or some other $25 dollar per hour editor will find you. But only if you're the "New York Times" or some other prestigious looking website.

Really, that's sort of all over the place. It's hard to believe those free listings were done for any other reason other than to bolster the image of the directory.

Lexiseek, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  3. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Once again, these descriptions while similar, ARE DIFFERENT and would not qualify or could be construed as duplicate content. Quit kissing ass and read between the lines . . .

threebuckchuck, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  4. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Gotta disagree here. We add listings to our directories ALL THE TIME! It's a matter once again of quality. I know Jeff would agree.

5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I thought at first too, but after a dozen attempts to contact him via pm, email and his Aviva Directory contact for, he had to have known weeks ago.

compostannie, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  6. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    And also changed all of her admitted mistakes. Read it all before YOU judge!
    Once again, you have not read everything! We tried to keep this private for over a MONTH. HE WOULD NOT RESPOND! I agree, this should have been handled in private but apparently, he didn't. We told him we would take this public if he didn't respond. Notice just how quick he responded once it went public. It took exactly 23 minutes! Why couldn't he respond privately in the same time frame?

7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    read all the posts by me before replying and also most of urls you added in your directory is also in www.craftsitedirectory.com

See this also

http://www.creativeartworks.cc/links.html
    Scroll down to Arts and Crafts -the very first link

see the description -it's same except the last word!

http://www.only-yours.com/detail/link-132.html

I am not Defending anybody here,I am just here to prove one has to look into his/herself before pointing finger at others

It is good learning lesson for most of the directory owners as they would think twice before adding urls from another directory

Freewebspace, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  8. mister charlie

mister charlie Peon

Best Answers:
    I maintained months ago that the whole QBC listing thing was a horrible idea - who are you (nobody in particular) to act as judge, jury and executioner about somebody's business model?

If I were the owner of a business that was being defamed in public, it would be a quick call to legal to begin rectifying the situation.

Perhaps you should spend less time throwing stones at others and more time focusing on making your site a quality resource.

mister charlie, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    an0n, Dubz and msolution like this.
  9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    craftsitedirectory.com is not Dave's directory, however the sites you're questioning have been my link partners on my craft website for years, therefore I used the description they provided in those cases out of respect for them. The description for this site http://www.appliquequilt.com/ was provided to me by the site owner years ago. Same with the few others that are pointed to by you and others.

I naturally began my craft directory with listings of websites I actually use and trust. These links may be found on my crafting sites or in my bookmarks, and yes I do put a brief note in the bookmarks about the site. Nothing sinister about that.

@Jeff... are you blind? I did say I didn't scam you, I did what you asked. Maybe you had ulterior motives in contacting me in the first place? Maybe you thought you were buying an ODP editall to list sites in ODP and that didn't work out for you? If that's the case you have no one but yourself to blame. If you expected me to "read between the lines" when you contacted me with your job offer it didn't work, I took you at your word and had no intention of doing "favors" for you in ODP. In fact even during the short time I worked for you, you were terrible at answering my questions. I always answered your questions, but my questions to you were almost always ignored. Quote out of context and twist all you want, I have full copies of our private communications too and can quote them in full if needed...but it would be in extremely poor taste to post private communications so I'd rather not stoop to that.

Added:
    ~10-15 of the sites on http://www.creativeartworks.cc/links.html are my link partners as well. In fact, so is creativeartworks.cc

10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I was out yesterday so I wasn't able to take Jeff's call, but I will definitely return call and encourage him to take you up on your second interview. :)

I know all parties in this situation and would like nothing more than to just see things get resolved. Nobody is a bad guy here.

an0n, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    Dubz likes this.
  11. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just read the other thread and found this out!

kick me, ban me, red rep me :D:D:D,...... but teeheeheehee, this page of this thread is worth a snapshot! a husband and wife duo posting together one after the other! its really cute!.... really i mean it! :D

but i still wish u take this back to private and try to solve it there, with accusations back and forth, its confusing to the reader,

IMHO ill be more interested in the outcome than this stone pelting if i may call it!

msolution, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  12. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now -----

[​IMG]

iceberg, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  13. msolution

Best Answers:
    would support that anyday!
    useless people doing useless things in their useless time!

or like somebody pointed out the other day,
    its shity bullies trying to be bullies! (i think it was the pheonix!)

iceberg likes this.
  14. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    it reminds me of the bible verse he who is without sin cast the first stone

jminscoe, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  15. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    Well paraphrasing is still crap if someone is being paid for original content. As mentioned earlier from someone else it's not legal to change one or two words. Sure 'technically' a robot might see it as different, but it doesn't change the crap or legal factor. Some of the examples were petty at best.

Jeff hired a DMOZ editor and expected better? Please! That's like trusting congress with your money.

Should really make an effort to remove duplicate and/or stolen content, never hire a DMOZ editor, consider it like a bad contractor that put in shotty drywall and move on to solving this Google debacle.

donttrustthisposter, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    iceberg likes this.
  16. msolution

Best Answers:
    :confused::confused: i would need a g translation of that!:eek:

17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Clearly you didn't read the screen shots provided by Jeff or Dave. The duplicates were not added by me, they were added by "eab" at Aviva. Listing a GOOD site in more than one directory with different descriptions is fine and Jeff was aware of it and never said he didn't want me to do that, I came right out and asked him. The huge majority that I listed for Aviva only went to Aviva.

I still have the text files (the place I copied the listings from). If I wanted to copy the sites I added to Aviva directly to Dave's directory it would be a piece of cake. Thing is, I don't want them copied so I won't do it. Besides, I have thousands of good quality sites in my bookmarks that I can and will list, why steal? Makes no sense.

Again, the file with side by side comparisons can be found at http://www.only-yours.com/aviva/aviva.htm -- The copied content was added by "eab" and I tried to contact Jeff at least a dozen times via pm, email and his Avivadirectory contact with no response.

I agree that this should be resolved in private, but it takes two to communicate.

18. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I definitely don't want to push the issue. It's definitely hard to see who's at fault on this one. With me that's far less of an issue than the OP's apparent vendetta against Jeff, and the way it was unprofessionally dragged into the public eye. But since it's already there, if people are willing to talk it out, I have no issue playing the part of moderator in some way if we do an interview. I actually started out more interested in talking to Jeff about the supposed directory issues with Google after the other thread was pointed out to me by Joe. But being in PR, I can tell you that airing out the dirty laundry (in a professional manner) can be good for the soul, not to mention the image, which is why I put the suggestion out there.

Unlike most in this thread, I did read before I judged! If you keep reading yourself, you would have very easily seen that Jeff stated the changes were not in fact all made after your wife said they were, which is why he terminated the service.

Again, yes I have. And as I've already said in this thread, what gives you the right to expect any kind of quick response after your wife took weeks to respond to his own concerns as her client? On top of it, she admitted wrongdoing in that contact, didn't correct the issue to the client's satisfaction, and services were terminated... simple as that. If he had every reason to believe that the issues were caused by your wife's submissions, he also had every reason to ignore your claims, because they do in fact come across as revenge. I don't know what your motives are, and I don't really care.

Newsflash: if you're even remotely professional you NEVER threaten a client (even a former one) saying you'll bring information public. If there's any reason I'm being harsher on the two of you, that's it. You made an irresponsible business decision, and now you're acting like you want it all to go away (as per a PM from Annie, although I won't be so disrespectful to publish anything from it publicly). That's not how it works. If anything, you just come across as extremely childish. Is that the image you're going for? I doubt it. Think about your own image and how you risk affecting it before you decide to try to drag anyone down (or encourage someone like Paidhosting to do it for you). In general, it'll almost always bite you on the ass.

If you had a legitimate claim, there are appropriate methods of resolving it, even if Jeff didn't choose to respond to you, and they don't involve making a public spectacle of your complaints just because you're frustrated and in the mood to throw a sh*t fit. Instead, you would have contacted people like hosting providers, major search engines, and advertisers like anyone else exercising a responsible business decision would do in a potential content theft issue. If nothing else, you know better for next time now. Keeping it private doesn't mean keeping it via PM.

But if nothing else, thank you for at least being the one person in this thread to even attempted to address a single valid point I've been continually bringing up.

While a he said / she said is always "fun," that's really all we have here. You keep insisting on this fact, and Jeff insists it was far more than just a few duplicate listings. How responsible was it of you as a service provider to be using time paid for by a client to be also recruiting links for your husband's directory? I'd argue that it was beyond irresponsible, and hopefully you won't make that mistake again. Jeff has a right to be pissed on that front no matter how many were copied or duplicate listings. Not a single listing Jeff paid for you to list in his directory should have been added to your husband's. If you wanted them added, you should have waited, and searched for the quality listings again completely on your own time and not using a list developed for a client.

jhmattern, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    discover likes this.
  19. mister charlie

mister charlie Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you insist on airing your dirty laundry here?

Typically professionals handle these types of issues behind close doors - not for the whole world to see.

If you have a problem with the owner, settle it maturely. If that doesn't work, have somebody with some legal experience intervene.

By discussing it openly in public like this, you open yourself up to liabilities. If what you are saying hurts his business, he may have legal recourse.

mister charlie, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  20. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for some reason and logic in this thread finally.

@compostannie - I've responded to you via PM. Take the comments for what they're worth, but hopefully they'll sink in and give you a bit of guidance on how to deal with this kind of issue since you don't want it continually out in the open.

jhmattern, Sep 7, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.