1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Publisher ID for testing?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by xdimension, Sep 6, 2007.

Hi guys, I'm going to launch a demo site and I need to put adsense on it (because my demo site is about adsense), however I don't want to put my real Publisher ID - I'm a bit afraid of fraud clicks -. If I remember correctly, there is a publisher ID 'ca-test' that we can use for testing adsense, but when I tried it, it doesn't seem to work, the ads displayed are always public ads, do you know what ID I should use for this purpose?

xdimension, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  2. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried simply removing the publisher ID? Is it possible that only PSA's are served for that site based upon content? If you put YOUR id in do you get real ads?

Edited: Is this going to be a permanent site? If you're afraid of fraud clicks, what if you just post an image (take a screencapture from another page) of an adsense ad?

Adpubster, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  3. Rolex

Rolex Banned

Best Answers:
    just dont put any pub id and google ads still show up .

Rolex, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  4. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    That's why I asked if he got PSA's for his own ID, it may be the site doesn't have enough content to generate a decent ad and defaults to PSA.

5. xdimension

xdimension Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it does show real ads when I put my publisher id. Okay, I'll try to remove pub id, let's see if it works.

6. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    to test ads, just add this to the javascript:

google_adtest = "on";

it's approved by Google.

fsmedia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. xdimension

xdimension Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. not good, it shows blank space if I remove pub id :/

fsmedia:
    I have just tried it and it doesn't work either, it shows blank space :confused:

8. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Could be the fact that your in a location for which ads aren't targeted? Up to you, but if you care to share the site we can look at it from different locales.

9. xdimension

xdimension Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Adpubster, but here is my update, I didn't put pub id when I added google_adtest, when I put my pub id + google_adtest, it works, so I assume the pub id must be filled in?
    Btw, I happened to search google_adtest and find some discussion in other forum that said google_adtest may only be used for premium publisher, is it correct?

10. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    adtest can be used for ANY adsense account. I've e-mailed them about this and I'm not a premium pub. they told me to use it.

fsmedia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is something that is counter to what you've read, it's safest to ask google themselves and save the email, especially when you are going to be doing this for more than just a test. When I wrote about removing the id, I didn't mean the entire line, just the id itself.

12. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the email I received from AdSense support directly. Do what you want with it.

fsmedia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  13. xdimension

xdimension Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried both ways, removing the id itself and removing the entire line, but when I did this, the ad was showing blank space, not even PSA appeared.
    Anyway, thanks for all your info guys... :)

14. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Is the purpose of the adsense block simply to show the reader what one looks like? If so, your best bet might just be to screencapture one, crop it to the size it should be and put it into place on the page as a normal image.

15. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When I remove my PUB ID from my site, the ad(s) disappear as well and im left with whatever backup color I selected.

Iv tried from several different country IP's, and I get the same result.

You can try using a charity pub ID, etc.

I use one when I do maintenance work on my sites - if they get clicked by a user - all the better to the charity :)

FanAddict, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  16. Pendragon

Pendragon Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me like you want ads to appear but you don't want them to register the clicks.

As several people have already said, just using an image instead of an actual ad seems like the best method to achieve this.

Google do it here: https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_GB/AdFormats.html

Another possibility I could think of would be to create a completely fake ad in HTML (or whatever you use). Make it 'look like' a Google ad but not have it connected to Google at all. When people click on the ads they could be taken to an explanation page.

Just a thought.

[EDIT]

I also just tried using the ( google_adtest = "on"; ) method and it worked for me. I still had proper ads appear.

Pendragon, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  17. Sphinks

Sphinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    don't put any publisher id, and you'll have highest CPC ads served, as all the money from clicks go straight to google ;)

Sphinks, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  18. HOLOELECTRONICS

HOLOELECTRONICS Peon

Best Answers:
    do u mean to cut the google_id in my ads code and put the code in my site is this will make the ads appear and the visitor click on it with out get earning from it

HOLOELECTRONICS, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  19. xdimension

xdimension Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't because I want to show the variety of adsense colors, blending etc. It works when I put my pub id + google_adtest anyway, so I was thinking to use this before I read the following suggestion from FanAddict.

Very good idea, now where can I find that charity pub id? I'm definitely going to use it.

xdimension, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  20. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Dummying up the various colors and then screen capturing them is really no different, in either case, you're going to have to create different ads. FanAddict's suggestion is a good one, though. Hopefully charities are given leniency when it comes to fraud clicks, though, since you indicated that was a concern :)

Adpubster, Sep 7, 2007 IP