1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to contact matt cutts?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bobby9101, Sep 4, 2007.

1. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    looks like real matt cutts! anyways, i just wanted to know that when is the best two directories on internet going to get there status in google search! alive and aviva!:)

uttoransen, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  2. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    What as in Yahoo, followed by DMOZ/Google :)

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Yo, Matt, welcome back to DP!! Retire from WebmasterWorld and hang around here!!! DigitalPoint has way more active webmasters than WebmasterWorld!!!! Just try not to find all our pharmacy sites (Second half of da audio.)!!! Oh, and all of da ton of links to da pharmacy sites and da actual sites that you mentioned in da audio are gone! :D And now da Googlebot likes da site. Da site has

Results 1 - 30 of 48,100 :D

Da Googlebot is way more forgiving than da other bots!!! :D

If you could, give us a site: result of a spamer that shows '7 Billion' results!!! We could use some search engine drama again like a year ago July!!!! :D

Nintendo, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  4. mirainfo

mirainfo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wonderful I must say :D

i can't believe this.... well I can't deny because Mr. Shawn says its true ;)

mirainfo, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  5. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is not the first time Mr. Cutts posted here. He is the right person of course.

maldives, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  6. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Matt,
    reading this i have a small mind boggling Q,

How does the above statement square out with new directories, that are genuinly putting effort in the dirs,...but still dont have a PR to show ( it is a PR driven market, .... while some will speak otherwise).

a new directory cant really put a no-refund sign like the big fishes!!!

2. i heard another one of your interviews, and you made a comment on "SEO", and that Google will give more emphasis on "information".
    (cant find the reference now:eek:)

so how does this square up with directories as a whole, what we have is a standard listing of good web sites, just the diffrence of presentation accross various directories.

3. it is recomended to keep less than 100 links a page, what about HTML site maps,.... as a directory sitemap(s) is bound to have more than just 100 internal links,....

(i know google sitemaps are a better option, but talking search engines other than google and normal users, HTML sitemaps do play a role)

Regards,
    M.

msolution, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. DarkBrothers

DarkBrothers Active Member

Best Answers:
    Me too, he never did return my email about buying some PR links. Bastard.

DarkBrothers, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  8. brianppc

brianppc Peon

Best Answers:
    you do realize matt cutts is either the keeper of the all illustrious google algorithm which has the security around it greater than fort knox or is just a simple PR man for the company.

brianppc, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    His blog isn't working for me..

EDIT : Working again :)

Hecky, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Now that was funny :D (not enough for green - but very nearly) :D :D

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:

Awwww, Bobby, cmon man.

The guy came here literally to help you out & to actually answer your questions. Can't you post them publicly so that they can benefit everybody.

I don't think he's gonna have time to answer you on a personal basis.

adnan, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  12. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Matt, I have a question on this and would love to get an answer if possible, because I myself have a directory, but not for SEO purposes.

What exactly are we supposed to look for in terms of quality in urls?

I run a Business Directory and look for original businesses excluding MLM sites which do some kind of trade either online or offline.

Alot of times, I get confused whether a listing should be approved or rejected and find myself visiting Yahoo Directory, Business.com & dmoz and if their listed there, I say, this site is pretty much OK to list.

Is there any defined criteria of what to look for?

Another thing is on the Google Webmaster Guidelines, I read something about, don't link to bad neighborhoods etc.....

Is there a more detailed explanation of what these bad neighborhoods are and how to spot them?

Much Appreciated.

adnan, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  13. tamar

tamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's because I am. :)

And @bobby9101, you're welcome. This is what brought him here. So perhaps my humor was worth it.

But my point remains as I said in that post: Matt might be posting here now, but he's just one guy who works at a company of thousands. Sure, he's also special (like me, of course... I kid), but believe it or not, there are a lot of webmaster problems that Matt can't always attend to. Your best bet is to bring it to the attention of the whole team of Googlers than just Matt himself.

That was the point of that blog post. Sorry if you took offense to it. It helps to read and participate on forums and blogs when it comes to getting answers to your questions, but you can't get a personal answer every time. When you think about it, a lot of people have "important" issues that they need dealt with. That's all subjective, however.

tamar, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. tamar

tamar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not even a question of having time. It's a question of Matt setting an example; if he gave personalized attention to everyone, he'd be swamped. And one exception to the rule will start a domino effect, just like it's already doing in this thread. Be fair to the guy.

tamar, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  15. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Do you see a chance in the near future for some of the more elite general directories to become a valid resource for the average information seeker?
    If so, how do you see this coming about? It seems that Google has monopolized on search, and that that the days of directories made for visitors are over.
    2. Have the majority of directory owners ruined the directory market for every directory owner? So many directories are tailored towards search engine spiders, and submitters. They do not care about providing information anymore.
    3. Do you think that the pagerank system is being abused? I feel that the only use of pagerank anymore is for directories to feel proud of themselves, In my opinion the pagerank system should be for visitors to determine the value of a site that they are visiting, not for people to sell more links on their directories.
    While we are on paid links, I am very glad to see Google step up and try and stop this paid link scheme that has plauged the internet, although I think even stronger methods need to be in place.
    5. Is Google looking for strong quality directories to use in aiding the search algorithm?
    When i say strong quality directories, I mean directories that are clearly a valuable resource for visitors and contain 0 (I repeat ZERO) spam, MFA, low quality sites.
    6. When is Google going to become HTML/XHTML valid? :)

I have a couple more, but I wouldn't like to post them publicly

bobby9101, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  16. citruscommerce

citruscommerce Peon

Best Answers:
    I never did use directories to find information and I doubt that many people do.

I think it's been a while since I've seen a directory that wasn't strictly for link-dropping and actually was a value-added service, do they still exist?

citruscommerce, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  17. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I know you are asking these questions to Matt, but I want to give my opinion as well:

Nope - but I can see some future for niche directories if they are packed with useful unique information content pertaining to that niche.
    I'd say that point was reached some years back
    My own personal take on this is "Yes"
    Google has clearly defined its stance on paid links which flow PageRank

It is unlikely that Google will stop improving its Search Engine anytime soon :)
    If they need test data there is always DMOZ/Google Directory. My guess is that would be sufficient (If needed at all)
    Only if it becomes "The Law"

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  18. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:

You are repeating the same sentences(from your blog) again and again! about Directories...

Freewebspace, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  19. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Dont worry - I doubt Matt is in any danger of a duplicate content penalty :D

Wealdie, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  20. drdavisjr

drdavisjr Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Matt,

Alot of speculation as to major algorithm changes over there. I have noticed alot of fluctuation in several of my pages for certain keywords. Is it safe to assume that Google has begun applying certain changes in the way webpages are indexed. More specifically, paid link filters.

drdavisjr, Sep 7, 2007 IP