1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's official Google has opened up a can of whoop ass on directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 2, 2007.

1. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Whats wrong with it? There is no PR, its search engine friendly, its indexed and above all it only lists quality content. :)

See what I mean :rolleyes:

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    No I am not. I am just a little wet behind the ears and would like to know why you consider it not to be a "quality" directory and worth ten times the $5 review fee we ask for submissions we dont have.

Top level cats, uncluttered with plenty of elbow room, nice clean look, not over capitalised. I could go on and on.......................no Adsense! Time to stop thinking out of the box and to start looking for solutions and alternatives to the way we have become accustomed.

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  4. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    What is, is

Clients to any business have certain expectations

You cannot sell to the market what it does not want

Where your perception of value differs from what the market requirement is, you have an issue

You really need to ask yourself,

How does my client benefit from buying from me

If everyone is refusing to buy from you, well you have your answer right there

centime, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  5. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    man..after reading through this thread again,all i see is sh*t slinging and name calling..we are all of course nervous on this..we have time and investments on our product..i feel its a huge dis-service by Google if what is happening is true,as we do contribute to their search engine..lets wait and see what happens..also,im interested in chris' opinion on all this(sorry if i missed it) thanks

templates, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    silencer likes this.
  6. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    We are selling OK. Its just this particular directory I am using as an example. One of our best by the way. And yes its the markets perceptions that need to change and change radically. Is that not what we have been discussing.

But you have not told me why a link on this directory is not worth ten times what we charge as a review fee. This is a bargain in my mind.

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So the way ahead is to reveal our future plans to the DP world?

No comment from the owners of some of the bigger directories that are affected, as Malcolm has said work is going on behind the scenes.

I have a few directories that I are not Announced most with PR all have some higher PR links pointing to them and have not been penalized, I can only wonder why that is, maybe the reason is to much was revealed in the first place??

As I have already said, none of us truly know what will happen next I for one will not panic I made a commitment to my clients, I will go out of my way to ensure I keep them commitments.

As for having no traffic, do you think that all traffic comes from Google?

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  8. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    @ workshop

You're not listening

You do not have the power to change market perception

This market is on the verge of catastrophic change, and I really don't think its sinking in for a lot of folk who are here an have invested time an effort into their directories.

Right now, Google folk are problably having a fierce debate about visible TBPR
    TBPR has not been updated on schedule

Their decisions are going to affect all directories below the level of dmoz, botw, yahoo, joeant an a few others that have the prestige to weather the storm

centime, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I think that just about nailed it unfortunately

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its not hatred Malcolm and I am sorry if I got you in the middle but have already an idea.

Yes and I HAVE been a part of that.

Nice to know that you are a gambler but I am not and good for you for building a network.

That's the spirit dude.

I am just telling the truth malcolm as it is rampant. ;)

Oh Thank you for still including me inspite of the fact that I speak for myself openly and truthfully now. Malcolm I don't offer anything besides my directory if my directory looks shitty to others or a qbc i don't care anymore. Well I still believe on some of the Friends but not all and that is where I stand.

Dude we were saying this again and again just like a broken record in Desert Storm 1. Its already a crap hymn to me.

Malcolm the grim reaper has visited me a lot of times. If it comes it comes and never was afraid of it nor would I ever blink an eye.

But Good Luck To You though. :)

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    Google announced it was clamping down on paid links, directories are the biggest source of paid links on the web. Not hard to see why this happened.

amnezia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  12. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wow. You sound really clever. Explain why yahoo is still around. Review fee not link fee.

mikey1090, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    @ centime I dont have to have power. Change happens, its a constant and if someone would just tell me why Eco Guides is not a quality dirctory I could change the way I do things and jump on this bus with all you's and we can head off to nowhere together.
    Thats another reason we have a good product, no baggage.

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    To compare any other Directory to Yahoo is perhaps not the cleverest thing to say - with the exception of perhaps the much loved DMOZ :eek:

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    It happens regulary around here. No doubt you have already bumped into one loud mouth who just keeps repeating "authority site" over and over again. This to convince himself he knows where he is going and that, that someone is still listening.
    I work with directories every day, all day and I can assure you that there are no problems down in the sweat shops. Nothing to worry about unless you were silly enough to listen to all that clap trap they spun to get you to part with preium $$$'s.

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  16. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Workshop,

When I joined this forum, I spent a lot of time just reading, then I politely asked everyone questions, some answered, some did not

I cannot help but recommend this approach to new comers

centime, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  17. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Is this your way of saying that you are not really sure what goes into a "quality" directory? Pity about that because all it requires besides a work ethic, is a little common sense. But if that is not what you are saying, what are you saying?
    Now here is prat that cant even sign his name. Work I have no problem with but if he thinks I am going to pay him door money, he has got another think coming. I know what I am doing and I started building these directories two years ago after deciding that this sort of retard has zero future and was not serving my long term interests as a customer.

I saw a gap in the market and am going for it. If you want organic links, warts and all, you know where to come. They just taste so much better.

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  18. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Many blogs sell links. Ergo Google is clamping down on blogs. If you're in the blogging business: RUN for your lives.

Same logic.

Lexiseek, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  19. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is news to me, gooogle announced it was putting in a way to report paid links and was very clear about the fact that they were going to use that information for test purposes. It is folks like you that twist truth and facts to suit their own ends that make you seem totally un-credible. Matt Cutts himself has stated and so does gooogle's own webmaster advice, that submitting to quality directories is encouraged. He even went further to state that charging for a review fee would be considered acceptable.

As far as which directories have been affected and which haven't it seems that 98% (or more) of the directories have not seen any negative impact. That leads me to believe it is a normal type fluctuation, many websites including directories go up and down in the SERPs and sometimes disappear for days on end. I think it is helpful to have 'what if' discussions but these threads get so clouded with all the folks screaming that the end of the world is coming and other silly stuff that meaningful discussion becomes impossible.

workshop your website and directory look very unproffesional, outdated and unkept and just like in real life first impressions count for a lot. Maybe it shouldn't be that way but just like two humans meeting face-to-face, if you meet a member of the opposite sex for a date and they are dressed in outdated fashion from 20 years ago and didn't bathe or comb their hair for the date chances are you will have a negative impression of them and not be interested in having a relationship (even if you talk to them for a bit and they seem to have some good qualities).

jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    workshop likes this.
  20. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A quality post. I think enough has been said.

mikey1090, Sep 6, 2007 IP