1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

All You Need to Know About SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Dan Schulz, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetie_12

sweetie_12 Peon

Best Answers:
    great post...thanks for sharing this information...new things will add up with the old once...thanks

sweetie_12, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  2. sweetie_12

sweetie_12 Peon

Best Answers:
    great post...thanks for sharing this information...new things will add up with the old ones...thanks

sweetie_12, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  3. mysmehmood

mysmehmood Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice,

well done, a very well deserved post, it will really help to improve work.

yes, that cool. keep it up man!

Genious
    http://www.coolseller.co.uk

mysmehmood, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  4. Aaron111

Aaron111 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dan as far as seo is concerned why do so many companies promise top paid inclusions and guarenteed sales off of your web site I mean can they do this???

Aaron111, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  5. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    SEO - I mean we all know that its a big sales pitch that many bite on! THEIR IS NO GUARANTEE TO TOP LISTINGS! especially if your site is less than one yr old," unless you are a very very genuine SEO then sure I can see the promise"
    Dan their is alot of visual properties put into seo by many companies! but really how can you tell them apart?? look smart, web pro, sempo, the top dogs in triple digit seo marketing I mean they want a minimum of $500.00 to get you going plus you have to agree to a contract or else they wont work with you"

but that is really putting everyone else's good work in the dog pound," whats your take on this???

6. lajocar

lajocar Banned

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info. Good read

lajocar, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Two reasons. One, it sells, and two, people love guarantees rather than chances of failure. Especially when money's involved.

Dan Schulz, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  8. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    Dan that's the gar-gin of the hype" I believe your more than a savvy writer you put the ink on the dot. SEO could become a over stated inclusion online one day! I see that the true seo is the guy at home really doing that home work style css sheet, html, xml, adobe,fron page,note pad ++, dream weaver, you name it thats what it take to get to know your territory limits and boundaries online, I mean sure build your first web site and keep messing with the key words and monitor where your popping up and what key words your targeting thats seo bro" but in the beginning their was man and in the end their is glory" seo is a really cool inclusion to work with online"

9. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    lajocar cool advatar nice and neatly done did you do that?

10. fromtherooftops

fromtherooftops Peon

Best Answers:
    wonderful post. I enjoyed your perspectives.

This did raise some questions for me... and please don't take this as a challenge. I wouldn't challenge - I'm just thirsty for answers :)

I recognize value in semantic code from a design point of view, but for some of us who are less technical and still rely on older HTML editors, how much of a disservice are we giving ourselves if our code is sloppy? And why? If the content is in the page, and a search engine reads the whole page (which is what I've always been told), it is surely smart enough to pull out content and keywords!

Here's what common sense is telling me...

Making a webpage easier to read for a program (spider) is like paving an old road for the benefit of a car - either way the end result is the same with or without potholes, and the cars and spiders are just machines that will get the job done.

You also said that having too many keywords devalues some of your strongest keywords on the page. How? Does a search engine look for keyword stuffing and penalize you if they think they detect it?

Thanks a million!

fromtherooftops, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  11. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    How much of a disservice to yourself would you give if you use an HTML editor? Not much in the short term. But later on when it comes time to rebuild that site, you may regret not having coded it properly in the first place (I'm speaking from experience here - I have a Web site that's been down for a year now because I've been slowly rebuilding it from the ground up). While the search engines will find and index the content regardless of whether the markup is clean and semantic or sloppy, they will be able to better identify the content that is marked up appropriately since it will be able to use the HTML code to identify the relationships between the content and the headings associated with it. And like your car and road example, having a paved road will let the cars get from Point A to Point B faster while allowing the driver and passengers to enjoy a smoother ride. Search engines work the same way.

As for the keyword stuffing, it works the same way as someone reading a page. Take the following as an example.

"John Doe Consulting, a Chicago Web Design Company, specializes in producing Web sites for Fortune 500 companies. John Doe Consulting, a Chicago Web Design Company, uses the latest in Web design best practices and search engine optimization techniques to ensure the success of its clients' Web sites. John Doe Consulting, a Chicago Web Design Company, has been in business for ten years now, having survived the Internet bubble that burst in 2000 and 2001. John Doe Consulting,--"

You get the idea. Obviously "John Doe Consulting" and "Chicago Web Design Company" are being used to game the search engines when people search for "John Doe Consulting" and "Chicago Web Design Company" (heck this post may even show up in the SERPS on Google or something, one never knows). I'm sure you were getting annoyed by the repetition, and so will the search engines. And the sad truth is, one of the Web design companies based here in Aurora, Illinois actually DOES this, but it also floods the alt="" attributes with it as well, making them pointless and meaningless (again, use the alt="" attribute to identify what an image is, not to game the search engines). Obviously I won't name any names, but hopefully you get the idea.

It's the same basic principle at work here.

Dan Schulz, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  12. Aaron111

Best Answers:

Dan Schulz does this strategy go fo writing content in a blog post as well I mean like this - is the term Gano Excel And coffeeteamonline over sold?? or will this drive the engines beserk?

example

So now your a member or want to become a Gano Excel distributor. If you are already a Gano Excel distributor that's awesome,” but at some point you are already thinking and more so asking your self (who is Coffeeteamonline)? Stay very focused on Gano Excel - I will explain the sister of Gano Excel affiliate extension Coffeeteamonline - company here - (read this article we explain in full detail who is and why you need to be a part of the sister of Gano Excel affiliate sales team - Coffeeteamonline.

13. devat

devat Peon

Best Answers:
    good post

thanks a lot

devat, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  14. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    Dan I agree - How much of a disservice to yourself would you give if you use an HTML editor?
    I mean that's why I'm not touching DW until I master NOTE PAD++ I would not want to make a complete living mockery and moreover a darn idiot of my self and online I mean its really a matter of respect for your self and the Internet I respect your inclusions.

15. modeca

modeca Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Dan,

Enjoyed reading the post - it goes along with pretty much everything I've read so far. Good common sense advice.

modeca, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  16. FraserJilani

FraserJilani Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks great, bookmarked. Havnt read it all yet, but seems like a great guide.

FraserJilani, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  17. SEO Tiger

SEO Tiger Peon

Best Answers:
    Eye opener!

SEO Tiger, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  18. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Dan. Nice Post. What keywords do you rank for on Google's home page at this moment.

factchecker, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  19. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Which site?

Dan Schulz, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  20. rhino56

rhino56 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for posting all that, i enjoyed reading it. i understand that using a no follow will not help the site in the link but how does it actually hurt the site?

rhino56, Sep 6, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.