1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you lost your job, how would you make money online?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by devtrench, Sep 4, 2007.

This question assumes that you, like me, work a full time job, plus do other projects online. So if you did lose your job, or quit, what would be the ways that you would make money online? I guess what I'm asking is if you had that extra 8-10 hours per day to devote to your online money making efforts, what would you do?

If there are some responses to this, I'll comment with what I'd do :)

devtrench, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  2. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    I think you should make money online, then lose or quit your job.
    There is no point of quiting if you arent' making money first.
    Making Money Online under pressure is very difficult.

KingofKings, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  3. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    Not that I have a full time job, but if I had more time then I would take up some ideas for projects and try to monetize those, I've had a few ideas recently :)

-Hecky

Hecky, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  4. nwk

nwk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Afilliate marketing is a good one.. You can earn in $10k+ per month.. I'm currently doing some research on it...:p

nwk, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  5. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I already lost me job two years ago, and I protected myself by reducing my living expenses, getting on unemployment, and building up the Adsense revenue on my sites everyday until they covered my rent and other bills.

tesla, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  6. glendowney

glendowney Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would try to earn off adsense and affiliate marketing. I would do article writing aswell if I had more time to do it.

glendowney, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  7. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I did lose my job. On purpose, though.

Now I'm copywriting and making 10 times as much per hour.

I'm happy with it :)

zac439, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  8. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess I'd be a freelancer doing odd jobs all over the net while learning skills that I can use to earn more.

cool_78, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  9. 10101

10101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Learn some basics on graphics, and enter some contests here. Then once your good enough at it, start a website selling your services.

10101, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  10. cleanwater

cleanwater Banned

Best Answers:
    I am just enjoying the turning,my site is runing,once it can support me,i will quit my job:D

cleanwater, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  11. Tokio

Tokio Peon

Best Answers:
    If I lost my job, I would get another job - not depend on making money online. Even if I was making good money online, I would still want to have another basic job (work at a library or something easy) just for backup.

Tokio, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  12. IeD3vil

IeD3vil Banned

Best Answers:
    i only do online projects and have my own tuning biz.

IeD3vil, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  13. selltrib

selltrib Peon

Best Answers:
    I would keep doing what i'm doing. I'm already earning more than my full time job, just way to scared to quit my job yet. maybe in 6 months time

selltrib, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  14. kingjacob

kingjacob Peon

Best Answers:
    I cant lose my job, Im contracted for 4 more years but if I did and wasnt a student living off off loans, Id just continue doing what Im doing but instead of picking up a new blogger every week, Id add a new one everyother day.

kingjacob, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  15. devtrench

devtrench Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, as I promised, here is what I would do...

I would do all of the things I'm currently doing:

Ehly Design -- Doing web development for others has been the biggest way I make money online for the last few years.
    DEVTRENCH -- I'd keep writing on this blog, except I'd post twice a day and include more recent news from the web development community. It is my goal that this site becomes my main online money maker.
    istockphoto -- I really want to post more illustrations here, and I would do that.
    TurboSquid -- I'd post more models here since this has shown potential as a good money maker. I'd also try to find other sites like this and post my models there.
    CDGCommerce -- I'd keep reselling this great ecommerce gateway and merchant account. These guys have awesome service and it's a great way to make passive income.

I would also add 3-5 hours a day on web development for new sites. I have ideas all the time for other web sites that have potential to make money online. In development I have a social bookmarking site, a site that does a lot of handy manipulation of text, and a site that offers the one best way to do things, but all of these have stagnated because of the time commitment to do them and lack of funds to get someone else to program them. Since this is what I like doing the most, I'd want to see how far I could take some of these ideas and turn them into reality. Makes me wish I was back in highschool with all the time in the world. Well, I hope to be on my own someday (uh oh, I said the 's' word) and make these things a reality.

It would be cool if some of you could expand on what you wrote - "I would keep doing what i'm doing" doesn't really tell us much ;)

devtrench, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  16. Shakas

Shakas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No way, the net is not a steady income, if you live alone you might get enough to live and even spare a lot. But if you´r married, if you got kids then is a very risky thing.

Shakas, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  17. Coder

Coder Banned

Best Answers:
    I would keep doing what I'm doing. I'm already earning more than my full time job...

Coder, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  18. selltrib

selltrib Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. If your going to live on Internet marketing to make a living you need to have multiple income sources not just Adsence otherwise if it gets banned your screwed!

selltrib, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  19. Shakas

Shakas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    even it´s not just adsense, it´s not a steady income.
    Imagine for example that your ISP has problems for 3/4days. Or imagine that you change residence, or change ISP and takes more than a week.

Not really hard to imagine a "web crash" too... it´s likely that happens sometimes. If you have 100% of your income from the net then you´ll be in serious trouble :(.

web income is nice, but i would live just with it...even beeing 6000$ month.

PS: if you plan to buy a house or have a loan no bank will approve a loan with a guy/girl with web income.

Shakas, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  20. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd sell my body. After that plan fails, I'd do copywriting and make some websites.

davewashere, Sep 5, 2007 IP