1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My New Blog Design

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Trapped, Sep 3, 2007.

Hello DP readers,
    Last night i announced the new design of my SEO Optimization blog and today the design is live.

The new design has a more fresh look and is by 300% more pleasant to read posts at than the previous design. I have also expanded the sidebar and made it a bit wider to accommodate some affiliate buttons that keep the blog alive (it might sound sort of copy-cat of problogger or johnchow, but thats not the case, it did needed those space since those are the main resource that keep the blog alive and apart that are useful resources for the readers too, they are strictly matching the niche of the blog).

One error i am aware about is that the very left side of the layout where the date of the post and the social bookmark links are placed in FireFox sometimes they get wild and flow all over the layout, but with a new refresh everything comes to its place. So far i have fixed this error, but if anyone gets the error please report it here or in the blog.

What i would like to know is if this same error appears to you too and what browser you are using. Also would appreciate if you can report new errors that I am not aware.

Compliments are appreciated but would rather concentrate on errors and eliminating them.

Thank you in advance.

Trapped, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  2. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I like the colorization choice and the overall layout. Very well organized!

I also like how you worked the advertisements into each post. It looks very natural. Great job!

usasportstraining, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  3. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    It has a very "fresh" look. I like it.

davewashere, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  4. sharkyx

sharkyx Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't know how the design was in the past, but the new one is great for sure. I like the layout and everything. Did you make it on your own or did you pay for it ? If yes how much ? I'm interested in a re-design and wondering how much a design of that sort costs.

sharkyx, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  5. netist

netist Peon

Best Answers:
    It is breaking for me. I use firefox by the way.

netist, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  6. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello and thanks for taking your time to comment. The old design was a free wordpress theme called Petite (i actually had to heavily modify that theme), but then decided to get into something new. I designed the layout by myself, i did care about the layout look but was more thinking about making a pleasant layout to surf at and to give breathing space to the content.

Now this is what i am interested at. I did have a similar error that the left side where the date of the post and the social bookmarking links stay would break and overflow all over the layout. But than i thought i fixed that. Can you tell me if it still breaks for you (and if maybe you can get a screenshot?) i would appreciate it really.

Trapped, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  7. netist

netist Peon

Best Answers:
    netist, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  8. GamerJuice

GamerJuice Peon

Best Answers:
    Really nice, just a few bugs such as the date as explained above. But overall nice.

GamerJuice, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  9. Trapped

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the screenshot. Thats how i get the error as well. I tried tweaking out and working on it but seems like for some unexplained reason it keeps messing like that now that the theme is live, while i was testing it under another URL everything was working as it should. It's weird to be honest..

Thank you, i am working on resolving it, but as you can see i can't see whats causing that even tho the coding seems correct. Hope will resolve it soon.

Trapped, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  10. Torans

Torans Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like it as well it looks different than another blogs , so it did leave sort of willing coming back to it for me dunno why but it did !

Torans, Sep 3, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  11. Trapped

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the kind words. I just need to fix this error in firefox and I can concentrate back in writing and sharing with others that what I know.

Trapped, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  12. moonfish

moonfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks good to me, so many blogs I've looked at have very little variation and really get dull to look at after a while. Your design however is refreshing, great use of color, slick and professional, good resources. I've bookmarked it :)

moonfish, Sep 4, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  13. nwk

nwk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

The word "September" seems to be a little bigger than the bg image. I suggest you to change this. Either make the bg image a little bigger or shorten the name of the month as Sep,Oct,Nov.. Also, the links below are a little close to each other. I hope it helps..:)

Well, the remaining, they are really great.

Nwk

nwk, Sep 4, 2007 IP
    Trapped likes this.
  14. Trapped

Best Answers:
    Thank you for kind words, i appreciate it. I will make sure to keep up with the good work and share more resources and things that have worked for me in the feature.

Hello nwk and thanks.
    I did notice that as well, unfortunately i did not thought about the longest month "September" when i worked on the design so i did not created enough space about that word. What i might do is cut the month name from September to Sept (and for the rest of the months as well) or i could simply drop the block a little bit lower (i think it will fit better lower because of the rounded shape).

Update: Dropped a little lower the date and September seems to fit a little better, but yet there is not enough space. Does this look better or it still bothers people and gets visitors attention ?

Thanks again, much appreciated and ever error reported it does help a lot.

Trapped, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  15. nwk

nwk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most Welcome..Hehe..I'm glad my suggestion is of good to u..:D.. Lowering the block seems to be the best option anyway..

nwk, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  16. Trapped

Best Answers:
    I came here because i was in need of suggestions mainly from webmasters, and whats the best place to find suggestions from webmasters if not Digitalpoint forums? ;)

Your suggestions might seem useless and a small particular, but as you saw it, others will see, so i want to make all feel comfortable while surfing my blog and to concentrate more on the content instead of the errors the blog has. In other words, i don't want to distract them with my (accidental) bad coding.

Thanks again for the suggestions to all of those that took their time to leave a feedback. I would also ask others (even users that use opera or safari) to give a look and let me know if there is any error that I am not aware of.

Ah p.s. rep will be given to everyone (once i confirm that i can give rep even on this thread).

Trapped, Sep 4, 2007 IP
    nwk likes this.
  17. Kafka

Kafka Peon

Best Answers:
    Hummmm interesting ..

Congratulation

I like it ..

Bravo

Kafka, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  18. IeD3vil

IeD3vil Banned

Best Answers:
    The green menu is the only thing that i dont like, its just.. not green's place in the site

IeD3vil, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  19. rideswitch

rideswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    good looking site. did you design the template or did you tweak an existing wordpress template?

rideswitch, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  20. cubechris

cubechris Peon

Best Answers:
    It's looking good man, nice one. :)

cubechris, Sep 4, 2007 IP