1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

4 things in the directory world that bother me! (Link bait? nope!)

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Aug 31, 2007.

1. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can't say that I agree with the post. It sounded a little angry to me and angry usually tends to be one sided.

I can say it was very entertaining to read.

Oh, and you can call me Bruce.

swedal, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  2. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would love to see the opinions of some of the other members.
    If there is anyone who see this thread that is not a directory owner, but who visits or submits to directories, I would LOVE to see your opinion.

bobby9101, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  3. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Bruce, It's ok, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
    I don't think I was angry per-se, just a little irked about some things.
    I do think that any post is going to be one sided though, I don't support some practices, but I think that those who do support them are also one sided.
    I try to be somewhere in the middle, not fanatical but yet fighting for the good of the little guys and what in my best opinion is right.

4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent post! I won't say that I agree with ALL of your points but I definitely agree with most of them.

I wouldn't normally quote the whole or most of a post like this but I'll make an exception for this one - people need to read it more than once. :)

Well said! And these things needed to be said.

minstrel, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  5. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @bobby9101, I agree on some points but not all....

How DARE YOU! Post a link to your blog immediately!

Nah, you have to really really irk me to earn a red :p

QBC (Quick Buck Crew): I agree that this term has been over used, however I also think that if it were used properly then it could have been useful in weeding out the crap. I don't think you have given a full account of how this term is being used though. It is not just people who submit to sites, have a problem and then pull up the term, it is used when people have stolen ideas, removed links from sponsored templates, done bad things with their directory which they have failed to rectify (usually backed up with screenshot evidence). If I have a problem with a site I have submitted to I don't throw out the term QBC, I contact them to get it sorted and as far as I am aware a vast majority of people do the same.

Quality Paid Link "Reviews": "All to make this all so wonderful mystical god, Google, happy." Sadly we must appease the god lest we be relegated to grey bar misery. Google changed their tactic, I think if any business was affected by a change in Google then they would rethink their strategy. Yes some do take advantage of this new term, but not all.

Family Friendly: I agree completely on this point, there are just too many directories claiming to be family friendly when they are not. I myself have been caught out with this, but moved to rectify by removing the words 'family friendly' from my site.

2. Directory "Gods"

There is no such thing and I don't think that you will find anyone who actually claims to be a god, more so that newbies use the term. There are those that are more experienced than others and their advice is often sought after. I was a newbie here once and I was never pushed around by people because they had all the cash. Yes I have had arguments with more established members than myself but I have always given as good as I got.

Furthermore, the fact that people are on first name basis doesn't really mean much. A lot of the owners have been here on DP for a long time and they actually are on first name terms and I quite often refer to the members I know by their first name. Chris and Jeff, if you actually look into the history of it are well known not JUST because they are members here, but if you look at any directory where they submit their web sites, they always use their full real names. Compare that to many others who use crap such as 'webmaster', 'directory name', 'me', etc. I think this also contributes to why they are so well known around here.

3. The directory "Circle"

karma shmarma, if the site is crap, directory or not then it won't get listed, I don't care if they have listed mine or not. I do agree that the directory industry has forgotten about the 3rd party and I happen to know of atleast 2 directory owners (one of which you mentioned) who are focusing all of their efforts on this.

I remember when I ran my first promo in the announcements forum for discounted submission... I was hoping to get some sites listed across the categories, unfortunately that back fired and 95% of the submissions were from other directory owners. I will be running promotions in other niche forums from now on.

4. Bidding "Directories" Don't really have much to say on these, good way for me to get cheap links so I can't complain :D

Hopefully you won't see this as a negative post, just my own thoughts on the same matters.

As for the in post links, I am probably just as guilty of that though not quite as bad as the example you gave.

SilkySmooth, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  6. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say that I'm really disappointed at the direction that the directory forum has taken here at DP.

When I first joined, the forum consisted of a bunch of enthusiastic people eagerly building their directories and helping each other out.

In contrast, now, the forum has degenerated into a litany of bickering, squabbles, bashing and personal attacks.

In particular, the attacks on myself, Aviva and other senior directory owners and their directories now seem to be daily fare here. Instead of letting the senior directory owners help, it is very uncomfortable for them even to be present.

There is nothing wrong with challenging something or a healthy debate. A good example of this was the debate over permanent fees versus annual listings. It discussed a meaty issue without any personal attacks between John and myself. Despite the heated debate, John and I are still good friends.

In the circumstances, I no longer feel welcome here and will be taking a lengthy break from DP. If anyone needs to reach me, of course I can be reached by email: http://www.avivadirectory.com/contact.php

CONGRATS! YOU WIN!

onlinedude, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    jg123 and minstrel like this.
  7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At last there came a non sucker, non gang affiliated and non biased.

:)

popotalk, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    amitpatel_3001 likes this.
  8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    No jeffy please do not do that i do not want to loose a possible friend in the future :( .

Baah u tell me names who bug u i will take care of them, thats why i pay my hitman friend of mine every month, few peanuts.

Ah come on guys please stop jeff from leaving dp.... :eek: By the way jeff i still no get reponsy from your directory , i asked few questions like 2 months back, does your contact form worky ?

What's a sucker, are those the things you suck on :
    [​IMG]

paidhosting, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  9. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.
    And I'm sorry if you're leaving DP even for some time.
    I was always impressed with all idea by AvivaDirectory and still I am.
    And even though I see many things I'd prefer to change in Aviva - this doesn't mean I could change my opinion.

I'm preety sure more than 50% of current directories (and their owners) will dissappear from this business in 1 year. But I'm also sure Avivadirectory will stay and keep up good job in same time.

dargre, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  10. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point about QBC's I did overlook that posting about that point.

Yes we are all slaves to Google

About Directory "gods", I would never accuse Jeff, Chris, Rob etc... to call themselves a god. I meant that to the new directory owners, they are very powerful mentors and completely shape their beliefs and practices. Good or bad. A quote from spiderman: "With great power comes great responsibility"
    Often these "gods" can abuse their privileges or set a bad example. Or possibly think they are above the law.

I do not see your post as negative, it was informative and brought up good points.

I certainly was not targeting you, aviva is easy to use as an example because it is so big. Consider it a blessing that people use you as an example. I have used your contact form to request that you stay and mentor. BTW, nobody really wins, it's a community.

Gangs and bias only hurt the community.
    That's a lollipop, not a sucker :D

11. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's see, 50% of 1 billion is 500 million. Oh crap, still 499,999,900 still have to get rid of. (100 quality directories seems like a nice number to me)

12. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry i am just not the bestest of the best when it comes to english, so what is a sucker than if thats lollipop ?:confused:

13. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people here in America do say sucker, but generally they are older. Our new generation says lollipop.
    So you were right, I was just messing with you.

14. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah u mess with the best u end up like the rest :p

Oh by the way someone repped me saying

"Your post has more links than most directories."
    For this : http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=4326429#post4326429

Come on that is so not true, look at aviva directory its got more links than that. Especially check Aviva's about us page, its got more links on a "under construction page for 6 months" .

So Lier Lier on Fire

15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Bobby for reminding my age. :D

Really I hate to see the full blown A** Kissing around here. We need to pat someones back if necessary sometimes but there are much of the suckers and kissers lately.

popotalk, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can't agree more. It has turned into a ring of WWF/WWE/TNT:(

It was not long- ago- 8 months when I joined the directory bandwagon. At that time - I had lots of seniors who advised me whenever in trouble, we also had fun/arguments and debates-- but not mud-slinging like this.

Its really sad the way the section is turning out of late.:(

Slowly but surely - I am shifting my base too.

jhnrang, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  17. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hi,

Amused to see that you have referred to the title of a post I made earlier today :)

I think you are reading too much into matters. For instance, I was referring to anyone who was an expert in directories. It could be you -- I do not know.

Good Luck :)
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  18. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually believe it or not, I had already written about the directory gods when I saw your post, and just had to use it.
    And yes, I know what you meant, I just had to use yours as an example.

19. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Too bad I was away, but I just could NOT resist Retards United has chosen it's new Leader Congrats to bobby9101 from United States as being the chosen one.

SasaVtec, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  20. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Sasa, Guess you don't agree with my post.
    I'm so glad you made a useful comment.