1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

4 things in the directory world that bother me! (Link bait? nope!)

Discussion in 'Directories' started by bobby9101, Aug 31, 2007.

Apparently, whenever someone posts something controversial, it is link baiting (see point #1) but, Alas I am posting no link! Is that possible? Is that allowed? Maybe it's because free discussion is the point of forums such as DP.
    I will probably get 15 red reps and maybe one green for posting this, but it bothers me, so I'll post it.
    Note: I am not trying to make enemies or point out names. All names used in this post are examples that i came across, and I am not picking out names to start fights or hurt the credibility of anyone.
    That said, I'll go on with the top 4 things that bother me in the directory world (believe me, there are more than 4 things that bother me)
    1. Hype Words
    Ok this really irks me, all these hype words.
    • QBC (Quick Buck Crew): I wonder what percentages of the threads in the directory forum use these three annoying letters. Maybe we could come up with a better name for them, like: ASS-holes (Annoying, Spammy, Site holes). But really most of these so called QBC directories aren't even in fact QBC directories. Maybe they are just run by inexperienced webmasters. Maybe they are out there to just make a buck and then disappear. But if so, why did you submit to them in the first place? Oh maybe they had a shiny template, or maybe they paid $30,000 for a link on some popular bidding directory, so that means you must buy a link from them, right? I mean you just have to submit to all directories that buy links on big bid directories, or maybe you submitted to them because they had an alexa rank of 15,000 (because we all know that alexa rank is absolutely accurate, and that it means that this directory must be getting tons of targeted visitors that want to go to your site and buy your product).
    • Quality Paid Link "Reviews": If I have ever heard BS this is it. Yes yes, some of these paid site reviews actually do review your site, and you are paying for that review. But let's face it (no matter how much we try and cover our asses) 95% of directories are selling you a chance for a link and maybe if you are lucky 30 seconds of looking over your site if it is half decent or not. 30 seconds is enough to review a site in it's entirety right? I mean there aren't any sub pages to review, right? Umm wrong, it takes someone with more than a pea brain and 30 seconds to actually review a website and decide if it is quality or not. On this note, everyone in the good old days said paid directories sold links. But now that Google is punishing paid links, everyone magically says that it's paid reviews. So back in the old days, your sites weren't getting reviewed? That's bull, the reviews didn't change, the name did. All to make this all so wonderful mystical god, Google, happy. Just wait until they use humans to check if it was just a name change or if directories legitimately are now just charging for reviews.
    • Family Friendly: Ok, i just have to pick on alive here. Quote from alivedirectory's meta description tag "human edited web directory of quality, family-friendly, and spam-free sites" Ok, so it is family friendly right? Well let's take a look at: http://www.alivedirectory.com/Shopping/Clothing/ Hmm, some of those sites don't seem very family friendly to me. What about: http://www.alivedirectory.com/Entertainment/Gambling/ maybe it is just me, but I didn't know that gambling was legal for under 18 kids. Note, alive is certainly not the only directory that totes this "family friendly" tag. I am sure many of you will say, well none of those sites have nudity or sexual explicit content. But really, sites selling g-strings, "clothing options for a fun night on the town", and gambling. Are they really all that friendly to 5,6,7,13,15... year olds kids?
    Not to mention the hype word of them all, Web 2.0. The biggest marketing gimmick (yes gimmick) is recent internet years
    2. Directory "Gods"
    This also is troublesome to me. Here you have the hard working (in some cases, harder working) "little" guys, that just get pushed around by the big guys with all the cash. I am not specifically pointing at Chris of mystikmedia, or Jeff of Aviva, or Rob known as an0n. But since when did Chris and Jeff get to be on a first name basis around here. I don't hear anyone else get called by their first name, even matt cutts, get's called matt cutts, or cutts. But no, Chris and Jeff are higher than even him, they are on a first name basis. After all they have all the money, all the power.
    But not only do they get to be called by their first names (wonder what would happen if someone new posted "Who is Jeff and who is Chris" The whole forum would attack them) but they also get a little posse to stick up for them.
    Such as these posts from around here:
    "Directory Gods, Please Comment on my Plan"
    "Wow Chris, mate you and your sites are cool ;)"
    "That's the most retarded article I have read in a while. Why would you judge the merits of Aviva based on it's "about us" page."
    Must be nice to have a posse defend you no matter what. Maybe directory ownership has moved up a notch, maybe it should be called. "The Directory Religion" this new religion has many followers and many gods.

3. The directory "Circle"
    Apparently it is bad karma if you do not accept in your directory every directory that accepts you in their directory.
    See to me, the directory world lost the most valuable asset. 3rd party sources. AKA human visitors that aren't directory owners.
    All directories are promoted towards other directory owners. It sickens me.
    Like (again picking on alive, sorry mystik) alive and aviva. I am sure you will all say that these directories are great resources for non-webmaster visitors, and that these directories are not made for directory owners only. If that is true, then why the hell are their blogs all posts for fellow directory owners? I guess visitors don't read blogs anymore. Maybe visitors wish they were directory owners. This is the dumbest crap I have ever heard of in my life. Let's bring back the 3rd party visitor (You know, the 40 something year old female that just spends the day "browsing" the internet trying to find something interesting to read or something to buy)

4. Bidding "Directories"
    These annoy me a heckuvalot. But at least there is possibility for 3rd party non-directory owners to click the links. I guess the next step for these bidding directories is to not be "bidding directories" anymore, but become "Bidding Reviewed Directories" because that will be so much better. Get real, trying to manipulate everything you touch makes me sick. If you are going to run a bidding directory, have the balls to say that submitters are buying a link on the site. Note: I am all for bidding directories, so long as they don't try and be fake about it.

Well that's it for my rant, I am sure I will see tons of negative posts, but hopefully I will see a few positive posts from some of the smaller guys. Because honestly, the person on here running the ad covered free directory just trying to stay alive and provide a quality resource for their visitors, they are just as important as those on a first name basis.
    (note, maybe 1 in a million free directories provide a quality resource)

EDIT:
    One more thing that bothers me:
    posts like this:
    (In the quote, the links aren't shown, but if you go to the post, you can see what I am talking about)

Sorry mystik, but using keyworded links on a forum is just web 1.0 :)D) and spammy. People need to learn better linking manners on DP.
    You only link to your site if it provides a resource to others or is related to teh topic AND you don't try and keyword your links. :D

bobby9101, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    -Maverick-, onedollar, YMC and 11 others like this.
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone is entitled to opinions each to their own :)

By the way my name is Pete

Thats if anyone is in the least interested ;)

britishguy, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 and compostannie like this.
  3. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I just had to quote that :p, seems like someone been writing retarded articles sheesh what a retard huh ? :p

they should be thrown out of speeding train, off the bridge and shot to death.

When will they learn not to write retarded articles about "about us " pages :mad::mad:

paidhosting, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  4. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok pete, your a nice guy. If I can remember I will call you Pete on these forums. (I call people by their first names if they are my friends or at least nice, not jsut because it's hip to do so)

Ooops, I forgot one more thing that bothers me.
    Excessive linking.
    I will update my post

5. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wow this thread has all the makings of a

Retards United Thread :)

What else will we see on the following posts

Thanks for the quote we can all be hip now ;)

britishguy, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  6. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    someone didn't eat their cookies today

indyguidedotinfo, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  7. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I had too many cookies ;)

8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    paidhosting, Aug 31, 2007 IP
    Ajeet and bobby9101 like this.
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I can understand why some of those things annoy you but some I don't understand.

I agree that QBC is probably over-used and also used too quickly in some cases.

IMO, david, chris, jeff, pete and rob have all went out of their way to support new directories and offer valuable contributions to the directory community. I think using their first names is just a sign of friendliness and I don't find anything wrong with that. I do agree that sometimes there is some serious 'butt kissing' going on but hey it happens everywhere in life and is not a big deal.

My understanding is those two directories you mentioned get a lot of daily traffic and I don't think it is all webmaster and directory owners.

To me a bidding directory is pretty much a regular directory with an option to bid for home page promo space. I think a lot of the frustration concering these is that every flake and their grandmother owns one now :)

jg123, Aug 31, 2007 IP
  10. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    O O moderator is here now we are all in trouble, everyone hide ur posts.