1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VOTE: Stop making new directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by EducationLinks, Aug 26, 2007.

?

Should webmasters stop making new directories?

1. Yes. There are far too many new, low-quality directories already!

38.0%
  2. No. Let's see how far we can push Google before "Big G" devalues all privately-owned directories.

19.0%
  3. Maybe. Creating new directories is fine, as long as each focuses on a particular niche.

43.0%
  1. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Unless you run MFA sites I think you misread the post. Secondly there are always exceptions to any rule. If you really are getting traffic you are one of the few and bully for you. However the point I have been making all along is that we need more sites and directories in particular, that are run by real people with a genuine interest in what they are doing and less talk about PR, authority sites and "quality" from people who go out of their way to twist the facts whilst they dip their hands into ones pocket.

But If you dont agree with what I have said thats your perogative.

workshop, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  2. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So far, 80.65% of people (all directory owners, I presume) believe one or more of the following, for numerous reasons:

a. creating new, general directories is not necessary;
    b. too many general directories already exist;
    c. webmasters should focus on creating niche-based directories.

Only 19.35% of people (all directory owners, I presume) think that producing new, general directories is a good idea.

It would be interesting to find out the average submitter's opinion.

EducationLinks, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    We are setting up general directories for contributors and a theme section for the directory master. In other words we are trying to combine the two. The idea is to get real people involved and committed to developing a user friendly resource that offers webmasters the opportunity of acquiring genuine back links that have long term value.

I dont think you have covered this option :)

4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Let me chime in from the old school,

This is actually my official statement on the subject,

Years ago when I used to look at directories it was about all quality,

I actually remember submitting one of my websites to a member here about 18 months ago, and they REJECTED my site because the site was not "quality" enough for their directory.

Now mind you, my site was no piece of shit, it was actually a good resource but hey thats how it worked back then

Directories were REALLY choosy and in turn they got you a great rank, and a great result seo wise as well, it really made a difference back then.

TODAY -

I see two things;

Scenario One;

General directory that accepts anyone that will pay, you pay the $7.99 & up you get in, and even asked "Hey , you want featured spot ".

Scenario Two;

Quality directories like some of the big boys we all know around here -

BUT one problem, :(

THEY ARE NOT DIRECTORIES ANYMORE !!!!

They are websites,

See In the old days "directories" were a place where you could look really fast and get a list of great resources on a particular subject and then when you hit that hyperlink you landed on a quality site that had what you need,

aND now......

Now these directories as they were called or scripted simply to be just a directory with out all the "mods" have now "evolved" into websites,

See when you add articles, pages, profiles,blogs , tags, widgets, tools, etc etc

Its NOT a directory anymore, ITS STILL a great site, BUT come on I can't go there and get the name of a pizza supply company without sifting through thousands of articles, blogs, pages etc

I am there to get something,

I need a resource, I don't care about you "hard day at work" or your "we just upgraded the ram" blog post

I am the consumer , I want to get the most amount for my time,

/end

So you may think I am nuts, or simply think I am full of shit , but I do a lot more behind the scenes here then sell blog posts,

I study this shit hard,

Oh well, I guess we all have our opinions

sundaybrew, Aug 27, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    The problem here is that directories, all directories, are on an endangered list. And if we dont do something, if we dont rein in the wide boys and their "authority sites" we really are going to end up playing in the traffic.

Its time to get real people, to get in on the next act and ensure that we contain the damage that has already been done.

6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How about, instead of making repeated statements about how your proposal for some sort of directory owners association or accreditation group is going to clean up the directory sector, you actually set up that organization or association and then come back in six months and tell us what impact you think it's had?

Having post after post after post screaming about why it's necessary is becoming tiresome. I think you're wasting time and effort. Set it up and try to prove me wrong.

minstrel, Aug 28, 2007 IP
    an0n and pipes like this.
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Its already up and running. Its also happens to be working for us. But try to understand that we are not interested in representing "the industry" per se. There are far too many issues and far too many people who are running wild at the moment. This needs to change and the market needs to mature before anyone can hope to get a truly representative body going. Until such time as that happens we will organise and work together with other directory masters who share our aspirations as well as our concerns. And in the process we will challenge whoever and whenever we deem it to be appropriate.

You have a nasty cynical approach to most things and just because the world appears to you in shades of grey, it does not mean that everyone is as miserable.

I find it difficult to believe that the community on this forum sits back and watches as people get fleeced time and again. There is no shame, no accountability. They dont bat an eyelid while they change gear and raise yet another cloud of dream dust.

Shame on you!

workshop, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  8. Sohan

Sohan Peon

Best Answers:
    This poll is a bit pointless imo.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with alot of directories.

Sohan, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    As I said, report back on what effect your little association is having or has had on the directory sector.

I think my posts reflect realism, not cynicism. I think your posts represent self-promotion and idealism not grounded in reality. So prove me wrong. :rolleyes:

Hint: That's a polite way of saying, "Put up or shut up".

10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I found your post enjoyable and honest, i am very green thumb to this business but can relate to quality and old school.

In that since being here i have visited many directories ( like a kid in a lolly shop ) and to many peoples credit there are some good and well presented sites, on the other side of the coin there seem to many sites that appear to be set up with everything pointing towards the owner trying to make a quick buck with what seems very little concern for the customer.

As some one who is not affraid to spend a penny currently i would probably invest in 1 0r 2 out of 10 sites i have seen just based on the quality / care factor.

DownUnder, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  11. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please tell us which directories you own. That may give us an idea as to why you have no problem with QBC junk.

EducationLinks, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Have never had a problem delivering on the commitments I make and I will make a point of keeping you briefed. The question is whether anyone will ever manage to lever you out of our comfort zone and drag you into the real world.

Whilst we are on the subject of whose doing or not doing what, am I correct to say that you see no need to change the current status quo and that have no intention of doing anything about nothing that has anything to do with you?

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    1. I don't think most people have a problem distinguishing between crap directories and directories with some value. The crap directories will die a natural death in due course, even if they do manage to squeeze a few bucks out of the naive and ignorant along the way.

2. I don't think anyone needs your little association to hasten that process and I don't think your little association has the power to do so anyway.

3. I don't think Google has any difficulty distinguishing between crap directories and directories with value. I also think Google will continue to improve their ability to make those distinctions algorithmically - helped in that process by spam reports and paid link reports from competitors and from individuals who simply hate to see the crap directories littering the net. I suspect many people would be surprised to learn how many individuals are eager and willing to make such reports, and how many are actively doing just that right now.

14. berkmr

berkmr Member

Best Answers:
    I vote for #3

berkmr, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong ??? :confused:

Tell me whats wrong with some web directories in this Search Keyword Here .

Goodness Gracious I hope the children won't find those. And to think they are very proud of bannering it as Family Friendly.

What a Shame. :mad:

popotalk, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Believe it or not I was naive and ignorant when I first started :D and thats why I have an axe to grind. Thats the most stupid and arrogant thing I have heard said on this forum Go and wash your mouth out with soap.
    You still dont get it. The workshop is about people who have a common interest and who see a value in working together. Whats wrong with that? Thats why this forum exists and once again, believe it or not, why you dragged yourself in. Whats your beef?
    Just about sums things up doesnt it. Believe it or not I have never used the snitch line. And thats the difference between you and me. I make things happen becaus I believe things must change. You do nothing because you believe in nothing. You contribute nothing because you have nothing to give and you are no different to all the other faceless people.

Why dont you swing a punch for once in your life. Kick the man when he is down or at the very least go out and buy some PR. Do something really mean for a change. Get a life :p

Say something often enough and even the children will eventually believe its good for them. Sis!

Rather than putting the brakes on directories we need more directories that are run by real people and to change the direction this industry is headed. Not my idea. Google is saying it and anyone who is lookng to build a future in this industry should also be saying it. There is such a thing as right and wrong and at some stage the point where you need to call time out.

17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Wow. Talk about a whiny post. Maybe you should stop trying to play the big shot and just face the fact that you're missing the point and that your vision of what will "fix" the issues (1) just won't work, amd (2) isn't necessary.

18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Just what is my vision that wont work? You have got me pinned I am afraid but why dont we rather trade insults by PM. I will even give you a mail address you can us as a punch bag :rolleyes: Nice to see you coming out of your shell. You could become a real bruiser if you keep at it. WAY TO GO.

19. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    They clearly do minstrel, othewise they'd not be giving 'authority status' and high PR (which is supposed to represent quality) to directories with little or no unique content.?

Agreed wholeheartedly, it will take time but they'll get there in the end.

Minstrel, your a good man, but if your a psychologist as you say you are, and I beleive you, then you must act like one and refrain from condescending and patronising. If someone thinks an association will work then let them do so, why belittle it, that makes you look like the last kid who got picked to play soccer, a little sour?

The Pheonix, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    See my comments and those of others in the "authority" thread. You are talking about sitelinks in Google listings. There is NO evidence that that has anything to do with designating a site as an authority site.

Given that I think I've made it abundantly clear that the concept of that association is flawed and and a waste of time and effort, I hardly think you can attribute any of my remarks to sour grapes. That's just dumb.

By the way, are you aware that you've spelled "Phoenix" incorrectly?

minstrel, Aug 29, 2007 IP