1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this authority directory banned by Google?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Lexiseek, Aug 28, 2007.

According to the List of strongest directories, UncoverTheNet.com has achieved an "Authority Directory" status.

It now has no pages listed in Google according to the site command.

The link command still shows backlinks.

Any idea why this "Authority Directory" has seemingly been banned by Google? What will happen to the authority status if and when it's returned to the SERPs?

Lexiseek, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  2. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    enQuira, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    What more needs to be said about this shame list? If I was up there I would be showing a clean set of heels right now. Its a long way to fall.

workshop, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  4. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! Just last night I was thinking of submitting there. Good thing I went with Abilogic. Thanks for the update.

swedal, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  5. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I would use this nice tool before buying a listing:

http://ff.seoquake.com/?sln=en

It can tell you right away if the directory in question is index by google.

mywebsearches, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  6. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    If I were you I would abandon all the lists and just use your common sense. We are currently witnessing a situation where the blue chip options have suddenly become fly by nights. However no need to feel lost lonely and afraid, its quite common and the same thing happens in the most sophisticated markets.

Greed is a funny thing. Its catching.

workshop, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  7. kashem

kashem Banned

Best Answers:
    First of all I am shocked. I have sumitted my sites there :(.

Good news is that the owner of the directory , in a similar thread in v7n forum , Shawn posted that it is not a ban rather a hijacked by mywebnews.net. They are working to get the problems solved by this week.

--v7n.com/forums/web-directory-issues/63040-uncoverthenet-com-banned-google-2.html

I would rather be happy to see it is okay again .

kashem, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  8. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Has the site been relegated to the supplemental index which is what I understood happens with duplicate content? Or has it been de-indexed? When does a de-indexed site earn Pariah status. What happens to those sites with which it has a special relationship? What happens to those webmasters who unwittingly bought links?

workshop, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  9. infoservices

infoservices Peon

Best Answers:
    I also planning to submit on it and one question i have if our links is on directory and reciprocal link is on our page so this can affect to our ranking?

infoservices, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  10. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I would assume so. I was always told to stay away from sites that get de-indexed and to watch who I link to. This could be worse than bird flu :eek: I wonder if they will still keep pushing their point if the sites on that list of Authority sites started going down like ten pins?

11. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    At one point this directory did have a ton of auto-generated "SERPs" style pages in it, which were dutifully indexed by search engines. That has become a specific no-no according to Google guidelines.

The site: command showing no results certainly looks like a ban, but I'll take the owner's word for it about a "hi-jacking" because I guess anything is possible.

That said, I'd say the "Authority Directory" status is very much in question at this point.

Lexiseek, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  12. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If someone copied your site, that should not get you banned.
    It is probably something else happening here. Maybe something with auto generated pages you mentioned.

Velocity, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  13. biodev

biodev Peon

Best Answers:
    if they copy ur site and they proclaim they are the original and ur site is the copy and they succeed doing that using a google copyright infrigment report then ur whole site can be deindexed .. but in that case we should see at the bottom of the site:domainn.com this -> "In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed xxxxx result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org. "

biodev, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  14. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Those were actually popular/related searches provided by ask.com
    what google didn't like is that uncoverthenet made those pages to be crawled/indexed by the search engines and hence making a huge number of pages. It is like they were scraping ask.com search results. Those pages were indexed by google and ranked high in the serps. The owner of utn either knowns this or already received a reason from google, why?
    look at his robots.txt:
    Disallow: /popular/
    Disallow: /search/

the /popular/keyword/ urls used to rank high for different keywords. now they are not linked in the directory pages and they are excluded with robots.txt
    few of those pages are still indexed by yahoo and msn
    http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site:www.uncoverthenet.com/popular/&form=QBRE
    http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.co...om/popular/&bwm=p&bwms=p&fr=sfp&fr2=seo-rd-se

enQuira, Aug 29, 2007 IP
    smindsrt likes this.
  15. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice work. I see you have a sharp eye, as well. It could have been a combination of factors that resulted in the de-indexing. What is surprising though, is that the link: command still shows links. So it doesn't seem like a proper banning.

16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    What are the consequences of a banning if it is a banning? Does it become a bad neighbourhood? Is there likely to be a knock on effect for sites that carry or were carrying links pointing to the directory? If so does one see a domino effect?

17. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it is not a ban, they will be re-indexed very soon because they changed what google didn't like. But bye bye all those high serps... uncoverthenet will be like any other web directory but still it is an Ask syndication partner.

enQuira, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  18. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    IMHO, no. Google isn't that clueless. But the effect would be that listings are value-less because none of the pages of the directory are currently in the SERPs.

Right now I'd say the listings in that directory currently have no value. Perhaps someone has a different take?

19. biodev

biodev Peon

Best Answers:
    i have a domain banned with google because of autogenerated pages .. already submitted 4 reinclusions requests and of course i removed the content that caused the problem, explained the situation, told them it wont happen again, and blah blah .. still banned (more than 6 months now)

biodev, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  20. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, IF that's what happened, they got what they deserved! :D
    I can only hope you are right about that! :eek:

threebuckchuck, Aug 29, 2007 IP