1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VOTE: Stop making new directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by EducationLinks, Aug 26, 2007.

?

Should webmasters stop making new directories?

1. Yes. There are far too many new, low-quality directories already!

38.0%
  2. No. Let's see how far we can push Google before "Big G" devalues all privately-owned directories.

19.0%
  3. Maybe. Creating new directories is fine, as long as each focuses on a particular niche.

43.0%
  1. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I voted three although you could have put an option in there to vote number one as well.

The Pheonix, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  2. kemus

kemus Guest

Best Answers:
    If a particular directory is bad, google's uber-algorithms will get them eventually.

There is no need for the webmaster community to decide whether or not more directories need to be made.

Don't you people get it? Google is the dictator, and Google will decide when directories stop. :p

(Just writing one sentence: "Directories links do not affect serps", would just about do it :) )

kemus, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  3. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's what the owners of the old link farms and free-for-alls used to say . . . . Yes, Google is the deciding factor, but Google does not act until the general reputation of a given industry reaches a certain, "disagreeable" threshold that only the powers-that-be at Google decide.

What I am communicating here is that the dozens of new directories--produced every day by DP members and non-members alike--are pushing Google closer and closer to that mystery threshold.

EducationLinks, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  4. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    Soon after the first post, I considered the option of allowing two selections, but I could not change it.

5. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think we should focuse on a particular niche because there already have tons of general directories.

jetbrains, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  6. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Agree 100%, way too many general directories at the minute, but having looked at it that can actually benefit people, if you start up a new general directory and learn by the mistakes that most people have made and avoid repeating them you could quite easily go on to succeed.

7. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

As a directory owner, you could make 50 directories, each focused on a particular niche, and each directory will rank MUCH higher for searches on niche-related terms. It only hurts the industry to keep churning out hundreds of new, general directories every day, which tend to get populated by the same crowd! The sheer bulk of new, QBC directories that I see advertised every day in the Solicitations & Announcements forum does not bode well for the perceived, authoritative future of the directory industry.

Bottom line: Google doesn't like duplicate content, paid links, or sites that exist for the sole purpose of charging fees to help other sites artificially increase rankings. Most directories contain all of these elements. It's only a matter of time before Google acts. Niche directories are the much safer, smarter, more responsible bet.

minstrel likes this.
  8. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Wrong, Google will never decide when directories will stop, they can only ever stop listing them, then they seriously risk a law suit for abuse of monopoly, it has happened before you know, just not with directories.

9. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    I think you're partially correct. Google will never "de-list" directories, but Google can and will begin devaluing directory links. For the average directory owner, that could mean a monetary death sentence.

10. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe they will, but then at least those who are serious can get on with the business of creating 'genuine quality directories' that Google won't have any reason to devalue.

11. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    By "devaluing directory links," I mean "devaluing links from all directories." In other words, what Mr. QBC does can and probably will hurt YOU at some point in the future.

I think that one of the things that the owners of quality directories can do to improve the future of the directory industry is to NOT ACCEPT SUBMISSIONS from qbc directories.

12. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not paranoid or a coward. You never answered my question but instead went on a delusional tangent from one sentence I said. Your lack of answer and total escalation of the conversation is a good enough answer to both the original question and your suggestion / threat of "challenging your intelligence". I think everyone reading this thread just got a good idea of where you are at regarding intelligence and emotional stability.

Thanks for at least indirectly answering my question.

Dubz, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  13. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    This forum is no place for your continued, personal attacks (against DP policy) and off-topic rantings. I'd appreciate it if you would stop harassing me via PM, as well.

LeopardAt1 likes this.
  14. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    never paying QBC directory will stop low-quality directory somehow...

xc06, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  15. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are not more than 8629 directories (Free/Paid/Niche)

I have indexed the whole of Directory Announcement forums at DP and

Sep 6th 2004 to Till now (August 27,2007)

only 8629 directories has been announced in DP forums

I think this is a much lesser figure than what we expected.

I think there would be less than 20,000 directories available in the Whole of the Web.

I expect many more new directories in the coming years. as there would be many new sites coming up catering to different kind of information.

Only Directories are going to help search engines index new sites as it would be difficult for Search Engines to index new sites without the help of directories.(As Search Engines still rely on following outgoing links)

Freewebspace, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  16. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm done discussing this issue. This thread speaks for itself.

On topic: A general directory that is properly run with high editorial integrity has a place today and most likely tomorrow in the directory market. Niches are a safer route that is for sure however the appeal of a general directory is that you can accept submissions from a wider range of customers hence a larger profit potential.

None of us have a crystal ball so in 2010 the strongest private paid directory could very well be one on a domain that isn't even registered yet. Look at BigWebLinks.com from obscurity / just a thought into arguably one of the best well known directories out there. Only last week a friend of mine who is promoting a few sites in the next month said to me. "Have you heard of BWL? I"m thinking of submitting there".

The General Directory game however is alot more competitive. This makes perfect sense as there is alot more money to be had. Basically if you are planning on starting a directory in the near future and have a modest investment your best bet is to build a quality niche directory preferably on a subject you are very familiar with and or passionate about.

Dubz, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  17. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    This is my point--too many directory owners are churning out new, general directories based soely on profit potential, not on human consumption and helpfullness.

Why is it that I can't find a single directory (owned and advertised by a DP member) that focuses on education or writing? I thought the purpose of directories is to help people find focused products, information, and services.

18. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    too many directory owners are chruning out new, general directories based soely on profit potential

I doubt many of them will cause much of a problem; they likely will not rank well nor do they have a very long life expectancy and I'll even venture a guess that the "profit" margin is shrinking with many being much more selective with their submissions.

Providing a low quality link (no, not all links are equal as some would like us to believe) will not have much influence on another site's ranking or PR. The majority of those directories have difficulty with just getting the majority of their pages indexed.

CReed, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The poll question was: “Should webmasters stop making new directories?”

No, for a variety of reasons (the three options offered in the poll are too limited):

• A directory is simply a website. The internet is democratic. Webmasters can do whatever they wish to do legally.

• Let the internet’s worldwide “free market” determine which directories live and which ones die.

• Some current directory owners have put out a high-quality product that brings both traffic and PR benefit. No way do I want any clamps put on their future directory offerings. For example, who in their wildest dreams would want to tell, say, Amit or Chetan, “Hey, knock it off, guys. No more directories.” That would be cutting off future resources of value.

• Of course there are tons of low-quality directories. Some of those are essentially worthless. But they have the same right to test the internet waters as do low-quality (and sometimes worthless) non-directory websites.

• Hypothetically, your “no” option suggests Google may say “Enough!” and will devalue privately-owned directories. They may, or they may not. On their website they actually encourage submitting to high-quality directories (even naming Yahoo!). And most high-quality directories are privately, not corporately or publicly, owned.

• Some would reply to your “no” option by asking: "Why should we let Google dictate our website philosophies?"

I’m all for letting the internet free market resolve these issues. Good quality tends to live on; poor quality slowly dies out, with little traffic and lots of red-ink financial statements.

Jim4767, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  20. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Let people make as many as they want.

It is very easy to setup a directory and thus everyone wants to take a chance.

I have been submitting my directory to all the free directories announced on DP. In the last one year, I must have submitted to around 2000 directories. I hardly got any benefit from them.

Most of such directories don't even survive their first year.

"Survival of the fittest" applies here too. ;).

sachin410, Aug 26, 2007 IP
    xc06, CReed and sundaybrew like this.