1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VOTE: Stop making new directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by EducationLinks, Aug 26, 2007.

?

Should webmasters stop making new directories?

1. Yes. There are far too many new, low-quality directories already!

38.0%
  2. No. Let's see how far we can push Google before "Big G" devalues all privately-owned directories.

19.0%
  3. Maybe. Creating new directories is fine, as long as each focuses on a particular niche.

43.0%
    I vote for #3.

EducationLinks, Aug 26, 2007 IP
    tmeyer45458 likes this.
  2. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Where is the poll ?

And be it a low quality directory or a website google will still penalize those sites without content, so how much do we have to fear about low quality directories ?

paidhosting, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LMAO. When did communism took over the internet. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  4. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Umm, it's a REALISTIC poll. Until someone challenges Google's monopolistic stranglehold on millions of people's livlihoods, it's a valid poll option.

5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    New directories will come and others will fall.

It will always balance out.

mikey1090, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  6. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    At the time Hitler shot himself :p

paidhosting, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  7. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I agree, what kind of poll is that ,

How about we stop building websites as well..........lmao :p

What a brilliant thread topic .............:rolleyes:

sundaybrew, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My strength is diminishing as I am trying to move the brick wall to the other side of the fence while pushing it. :D

I better start dispensing tin foil hats. :D

@paidhosting
    Hitler did not practice communism. It was nazism. ( I better review more of my History of the World Part deux by Mel Brooks ):D

popotalk, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  9. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    You want to start with me again? Stop being such an abrasive person. It's a completely valid poll. To insult me just because you apparently like churning out dozens of new blogs every month on which to sell posts doesn't make you appear very mature. Just vote, and keep the insults to yourself.

Smyrl and soju like this.
  10. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Voted number three. I'd like to make a sort of directory, but not for paid submission, rather for things I find usable in a certain location in USA. I am trying to figure out how to do a directory and make some listings that may not have webpages associated with them. Still working on the idea, so I definately vote that we need more, but also, more focused.

Karen May Jones, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I voted :)

Talking of challenging google, i have a prediction that i think will happen between the next 2 to 5 years and its this:

That Richard Branson of Virgin, along with 2 or three others, aswell as something big in China, will all get together and challege google head on.

The reason i say china, well because India is becoming Americanised, china isn't quite that way, so in my eyes it wont involve a mass involvement or investment from india.

Dont ask me what the new search engine challenger will be called though ;)

Directories will continue to be released and some will grow so powerful that they will begin to be bought up by the big search engines.

I voted number 3.:)

pipes, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  12. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I could vote twice, I would've voted for #2 as well :).

LeopardAt1, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  13. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I apologize ,

I wasn't trying to insult you personally

I just thought the poll was not to my liking

I will just remain from posting in your threads from now on, so I won't upset you

Sorry once again , please accept my apology

~brew

sundaybrew, Aug 26, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  14. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    The crap will eventually be filtered out. Either they will give up and "die" or they'll do something stupid (out of desperation :)) and get banned. Not to mention...they make the really good directories stand out that much more.

I am a LONG way from an expert, but I just can't believe Google would devalue all directories...wholesale style. They use our listings to fill their index. And there are alternatives to Google.

I agree (and voted for this one). I am currently working on a niche directory (not tech related) and would never start another general directory. Not that general directories are bad...just a lot of work and require alot of money from the start.

BTW - Nice poll. To ask a question doesn't necessarily mean you have to support a particular answer. I tossed this one around too..:D

TIm

tmeyer45458, Aug 26, 2007 IP
    EducationLinks likes this.
  15. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm curious what EducationLinks motives are based on his last few threads.

Also snarky options like

"No. Let's see how far we can push Google before "Big G" devalues all privately-owned directories."

solicit snarky responses from other people. Also look at the forum you chose to start your thread in. Don't stir the pot than act all victimized when people call you out on starting stupid threads.

It was a legitimate question but the way you worded your options is condescending. Also what kind of responses did you expect from directory owners when you start a thread like this and word it the way you did??:confused:

Dubz, Aug 26, 2007 IP
    discover likes this.
  16. 121603

121603 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to vote 2 but not the way you said it. :p

121603, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  17. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I voted on #3, but I think it's the uniqueness of each directory rather than having a focus on a particular niche, of course THAT is one of unique things though.

coolsitez, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  18. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    Any time you'd like to challenge my intelligence, feel free.

As far as my "motives" are concerned, stop being so paranoid. Did I attack you, personally? No. Did I attack a particular directory? No. Did I attack anyone or anything at all? No.

What is it with certain people? You need to keep your confused emotions in check, rather than accusing me of having ulterior motives.

I have purchased directory listings from just about every directory owner in DP! Go ahead--ask around! Why in the hell would I want to see directories fail? Wake up!

I ask questions and post information involving directories because I obviously VALUE them! The intelligent directory owners recognize my motives, and appreciate my effort in bringing forth a non-directory-owning, directory listing buyer's perspective!

Look at my helpful-thread-posting posting history before painting me as a villain. If you have some sort of accusation to make against me, don't beat around the bush. Post your accusation clearly and publicly so that I can provide ample evidence to refute you. Making shady accusations without proof is a coward's game.

MaryMary likes this.
  19. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    im starting a new directory,custom template with all the bells and whistles as welll as great link building,SEO and submissions..i feel that as i am not as good as some ppl,i serve a purpose in the internet world with my directory sites and those that try hard will succeed

templates, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  20. EducationLinks

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree.

Directory owners must also remember that all of their efforts and goals should be centered around two things:

1. The potential buyer's perception of the unique, relevant value of directories;

2. Google's perception of the unique, relevant value of directories.

Making multitudes of new directories without these priorities will inevitably lead to the poor, long-term status of both the individual directory and the directory industry as a whole.