1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Refunding Submission Fees? What?!??

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Aug 24, 2007.

I've been pondering this for quite some time and I've discussed this with a few others, but I'm curious about what directory owners really think. I'd like to hear an honest opinion, even if it's not going to be popular. :)

Since the reporting of paid links was initiated I noticed that many directories have changed their nomenclature on the submission page and listing fees are now referred to as review fees and little else has changed.

MFA sites, affiliate driven sites and lead generators are still accepted across many directories, and the few submissions that are not accepted are cheerfully refunded.

I'd like to ask if you're just selling links under the guise of a directory? And if you don't like the submitted content, you'll give me my money back? Where does the review factor into all of this and who's paying for it?

So the way I'm seeing it is that you'll review my site for free and if it's acceptable, you'll then sell me a link in your directory?

By refunding the "review" fees aren't you essentially saying that if you can't sell me a link, I get my money back?

If there is a fee, what’s the purpose of the fee? For a high-quality directory, the fee is primarily for the time/effort for someone to do a genuine evaluation of a url or site.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the above quote.

CReed, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  2. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    I would 100% agree with you on this.. if its a review fee then why it should be returned.. also given the fact there are so many junk submissions everyday and we can keep on rejecting them..

I feel people are some what afraid in implementing no-refund policy as they fear of backlash..and what industry will say about them?

NeoGen, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  3. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with CReed 100% and think that as an industry, we should work to make sure that it's standard industry practice that no refunds are given once a site is reviewed. Otherwise, you're selling links, not reviews.

If it is a standard industry practice, and everyone is doing it, then webmasters will get to know this and expect it. Right now, the expectation is the opposite, and it works to the detriment of the entire industry.

The fee is not about selling links - it's about providing a service.

Giving a refund means that the submissions fees from *quality sites* are essentially subsidizing the editorial work on crap MFA sites. If you've got a crap MFA site - there's no risk. Just submit and at worst you'll get your fee refunded. But someone has to pay for that editorial time - and it's the quality sites that do.

People are paying for a review, and that's what they are getting, whether their site gets listed or not.

onlinedude, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  4. arvind_srivastava

arvind_srivastava Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Results that can be expected if such a policy is followed

1.Number of submissions would drop (good for some of the directory owners and bad for others)
    2. Spammy and MFA sites would think twice before submitting as they tend to loose funds if rejected.

I support such a move across the industry.

Al

arvind_srivastava, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar and CReed like this.
  5. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Reviews are ongoing. So if I pay for an annual or permanent listing and it doesn't get accepted, I would expect a % of the fee back, because I wouldn't be getting the same service as someone who had a listing accepted. I mean, good directories do recategorise and check periodically for dead and changed links.

However, this is a great point:

Obelia, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  6. alpna

alpna Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am a directory owner and a submitter and personally I will not submit to a directory which does not refund fee on rejection as a submitter get's value for his/her money when his/her site gets listed on a directory and not when a editor reviews his/her site.

Reviews are very subjective and you do not know what was going on in a editors mind when he/she reviewed your site.

I have a site which is listed on Top directories like -- Joeant, Skaffe, WowDirecotry, Abilogic, Alive Directory, Incrawler and many more and it got rejected by a Directory (owned by a DP member) and I received the review fee back.

I was very pissed off on this decision but then I thought if the owner thinks site is not worthy of inclusion in his/her directory that's is his/her prerogative and as long as I get my review fee back I do not really care.

-Princy

alpna, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    arvind_srivastava likes this.
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    We dont have any editorial guidelines on our directories and consequently refund any review fees tendered for sites we dont like. Once thats changes if a submitter takes a chance it will be a different story, thank you very much.
    Sounds like fighting talk to me :) Does it mean that there is an association in the pipeline? Long overdue if it does. :D
    Why the emphasis on crap? Quality MFA sites are getting harder to spot.

workshop, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  8. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another issue is the PAYPAL. If not refunding, the submitters may very likely file a charge back which will make us headache.

xc06, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    CReed and Mr_Kumar like this.
  9. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am infavor of non-refundable policy!

maldives, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  10. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Chargeback valid only if paid through credit card..

NeoGen, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  11. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst I would love to see a non-refund policy added to all directories, the simple fact is that it will never happen while we are all dependant upon PayPal for processing payments.

There is zero protection for merchants offering services and if that policy doesn't change then it would be pointless anyone implementing a non-refund policy.

It would take all of 5 minutes for the rumor to spread that if XYZ directory doesn't accept your site all you need to do is issue a chargeback. So what has XYZ directory gained? Even more time spent accounting for all of the chargebacks.

SilkySmooth, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  12. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very good point. Personally I will continue to refund if the site is not accepted. I can see not refunding causing to many problems. Once you start getting charge backs or disputes filed with PayPal who knows what they are likely to do.

Additionally, I doubt I would submit to a directory that stated anything like "no refunds" especially if it's a large sum. Personally, I just wouldn't feel right keeping a fee...a refund only takes a few minutes.

LakeCountry, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  13. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I offered a refund for the first few months then realized exactly what you just said. I am providing a service - a website review service and that is what you are paying for.

If you submission meets the guidelines then your website will be included. If your website does not meet the guidelines you will not be included.

Either way your website has been reviewed and that is the service you paid for.

redgsr, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  14. hotd

hotd Banned

Best Answers:
    never refund submission fees! theres no reason why they should even ask for it in the first place they know what htey are getting

hotd, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  15. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting OP! But i do have a few thoughts here

1. Would anyone pay xx$ to mydirectory.com! and be ok when he gets a rejection email with,

"
    Your site has been rejected as it failed to meet submission guidlines.
    For possible reasons as to why you directory was rejected please refer to << this answer >>.
    "

wallah ... xx$ down the drain!

On the same note if this is a review fee and not a submission fee, would i, as a customer get more than the above!

If i were to get a report "Specific" to my site, where i do have a value added advice on how i can make my site better to ensure you or no one else has any further capacity to reject my site,.... i would whole heartedly pay the review fee!

just my thoughts as a client and not as a directory owner!

M.

PS: Also this would work fab with Directories with PR5 and above,
    if a directory with PR 0 start doing this, then theyre sure to become MFA sites, coz thats all the income they'll/ we'll get!:eek:

msolution, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  16. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    If you choose not to refund review fee if website is not accepted you must have very clear and strict submission guidelines and protect yourself legally from any possible situation.

It is very hard to have such a strict and clear guidelines.
    For example, saying "we do not accept websites with poor design" is very relative thing.
    However, it can be done correctly and double meaning can be taken to minimum.

In my opinion, big directories with loads of submissions every day must use this non refunding way of doing business simply because they can't waste their time on thousands of crap sites for free.

Let's take Yahoo for example. I am sure that people are aware they can not do nothing if their site is rejected and money is not refunded, mostly because they know they are dealing with giant company and they are sure Yahoo has everything covered.

If someone apply this to his "predicted pr4 directory" and announce directory here I am sure he will get red rep to death, end up with full PM box and flagged as QBC. Depending on case I would agree with that in most of cases.

Another thing-doing this you will get unhappy customers and negative criticism in some treads. If few unhappy customers represent big % of your total number of customers your directory will suffer in sales. If you have traffic like Yahoo, few of those customers will not have significant effect.

So, finally I think that if you want to apply this to your website, you have to justify your reasons(lack of time for crap reviews) and be strong enough to make sure bragging on forums will not destroy your profits.

That's the way I see it :)

balkanboy, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar, smub and CReed like this.
  17. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Its a tough decsion when you are starting out and I would go as far to say that any directory that rejects any paid submission is showing that they do have standards and are worth revisiting. And hopefully "you know who" will start in on the MFA guys next as well as those directories that do list them. Fat chance :eek:

workshop, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  18. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But thats a diffrent perspective all together!
    Rejecting paid "crappy" sites is always there to maintain your standards,

But to post "NON-Refundable" on your fee with little or no PR/ "Juice" to show,
    will surely get them/ me little or no income from submission!

M.

msolution, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  19. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Its hard to decide. Often i hear people dont refund MFAs, but do refund people with in-sufficient content.

It can give you a bad rep from not refunding submissions, especially when you are new.

mikey1090, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  20. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Nice point you have said. It was in my mind for last 1 yr.

Those directories which charges big $$ for review / selling link does not have right to keep cash.

Frankly speaking reviewing a site does NOT cost $100 or $50 or even $25. Reviewing cost can be upto $5 or $10.

The Directories SHOULD explicitly mention on submit page the price of reviewing which is NON-Refundable in any case.

Those directories which are writing review cost and charging heavy amount are not doing justice in words.

Review cost is something which is non dependent on quality or popularity or pagerank of directory. So it should be more or less similar price for all directories.

I hope I make some sense. :)

Mr_Kumar, Aug 25, 2007 IP