1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Know That...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by popotalk, Aug 11, 2007.

1. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Fantastic thread popotalk, shows the wheelers from the dealers, makes a change from seeing those frickin so called directories with newsfeeds instead of real links. Doesn't matter squat if people build directories themselves, it shows they are prepared to work instead of pretending they do. :cool: There is one directory that has better stats than both of the top ones but I need permission to show them. If I get it I'll p.m them to you. :)

The Pheonix, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  2. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That has to depend on what you define as better: more isn't necessarily better, because the links might not be so carefully reviewed. I think it's more a case of finding the middle ground. Too few links per category, and the directory looks empty and over-categorised for its size. Too many and it starts to look like there's very little classification going on at all, or it's a bit of a FFA.

Obelia, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  3. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting statistics, Aviva directory is always a very popular topic

hotpop, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  4. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I define as better Obelia a directory that has far better quality links and more depth than just one per category, or even none in most cases. This opens the question as how on earth can a directory with just 13,000 links and a very poor ration of links per cat be classed as an 'authority'? Can't get my head around that one. :confused:

The Pheonix, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Added some more and would like to Thank the owner of This Is Our Year for taking the time to send us their statistics.

popotalk, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  6. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I certainly agree with you. Mere links in directories do not mean its of high quality. Free directories have thousands of them and I believe Google is carefully examining those with special algo.

On the other hand-- bare categories are not good too for visitors looking for information from search engines. If a category of my directory is ranking high due to good SEOing-- and it is empty -the visitor would be irritated as well as never visit the site again.

It is the number of links as well as quality of those sites that matters most.

To quote from Matt Cutts definition of a good directory--

jhnrang, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  7. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    interesting compilation of info there..... never occurred to me to look at this type of data. very creative.

however, i really don't think the number of links in a directory is any indication of the quality of the directory. Number of categories do give some indication, but not number of links, i feel. No doubt, fewer links means less useful search results, but this is just a matter of time and if it has good marketing and backlinks, the number of links will rise correspondingly.....

jl255, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks.
    True. But from a standpoint in some criteria. We know who are slacking and who is building. What the Phoenix has said above. Why is it a directory has so many categories but there are no listings. So we could go back to defining what is a Web Directory.
    How much time ? Not to mean any disrespect at all. What timetable do we have ? Aren't we suppose to be building a good content just like a normal website has ? Or are we just going to wait to fill that void with submissions ? Problem is many of us are good in promoting while neglecting this aspect.

While we do get criticisms from outside our industry and partly its our fault though.

9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I most certainly agree on this.

You're wrong on this john. I guess people need to get up there first in order to see how it is ;)
    You see, you would need to know *how* they got there to begin with, and *why*!
    Following this post, you will know why and how i see the difference. I am now at 75% which is a 3% increase.

I disagree with this. Nobody really knows the definitive.

who's matt cutts :D hehe

an0n, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your participation dude. i really appreciate it. Now going to find more quality links to add it in my qbc directory and ask Linksquitters too since they are adding more sites DAY BY DAY. :eek:

Again Thanks to Jeff of Aviva and A James of ThisisOurYear for that good encouragement. :)

11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rob.
    Thats very Good Rob. But what is the percentage of repeated visitors from Google? That would be interesting to know. But no matter what -- Traffic is always Traffic.

Webmasters will go where traffic goes.

I have nothing to say here --as all the ideas everybody has is SPECULATIVE. Nobody really knows the Google Algo.

If you don't know him - lemme tell ya--

He is my sparing partner here :p .Often I beat him --but he never accepts defeat.

jhnrang, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Anytime! you know we speak as much as we can. damn timezones screw that up for the most part ;)

I had 17,000+ revisits

yea, nobody really knows, but its always fun to peer and poke around.

I have your back! lets get em' :)

an0n, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  13. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely no offence taken. Debate of ideas is always good for us to learn right? :)

Anyway, back to your arguments, having lots of links does not mean an owner is not slacking either. So it does not really differentiate the slackers from those not slacking.

There are 2 different aspects of Web directories as i'm sure we all know. One is for search purposes, the other to provide a strong endorsement/review of quality websites. Personally, I feel that none of our directories are ready to replace Google in terms of search functionality and we all know that the number of ppl actually using web directories for searching is minimal. How we help in searching is via the SECOND function of directories. That is, by giving strong endorsement to quality sites, so they rank well in SERPs, which will allow others to find them via search engines.

Thus, i wld very much rather focus on being able to give strong endorsements/review. But how? By spending my time marketing my directories aggressively instead of searching for websites to add.

This also brings me to another point, if you find a quality website, do u immediately add it to your directory? Or do you consider whether there is any potential chance the owner might pay to be included in the future? I would guess its the 2nd. Else all the owners here of quality directories should have already been added for free in your directories. Thus, my point is, manual inclusions means that one has deliberately included some quality links (which is good) but it ALSO means that one has DELIBERATELY EXCLUDED other quality links for the potential of money. Just something that is worth pointing out.

Finally, content can be added by lots of means besides links. The use of blogs and articles is an established way that many of us are already doing to add content. So few links does not necessarily mean lack of content.

Once again, this is all for the sake of a friendly debate, and it is not personal ya? ;)

lol, good one. jhnrang, u need a referee for this..... :D

jl255, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  14. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Also a good metric could be the average PR of outbound links.
    at Ask Directory

PR10 ( 12) PR9 ( 28) PR8 ( 82) PR7 ( 144) PR6 ( 159) PR5 ( 187) PR4 ( 139) PR3 ( 51) PR2 ( 18) PR1 ( 7) PR0 ( 37)

Total PR sum = 4677 (divided by) Total links = 864
    average PR = 5.413

! Ask !, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  15. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whether we like it or not --we r run or governed by Google. And IMHO-- Gogle does not always judge a site by its PR value.

Check lii.org --or stpt.com. Both of them are very old --have PR8. But none of them are authority sites -as is perceived.
    They also have lots of .edu/.gov inbound links. Still Google does not consider them as worthy of authority sites.

On the other hand --this site although PR4 is highly valued by Google -as it has awarded it authority status. ( Please Check Here )

So the metric you are following has lots of flaws. As I always say --nobody can have anything on Google's algo for certainty-- all are speculative. My study too is speculative--but atleast I am following Google's dictate.

I know-- you are trying to follow John Scotts' average OBL --but that theory -as most other is a little bit flawed ( instead of average PR- he should have cited average quality of links determined by Google)

jhnrang, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  16. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Every metric as its strengths ad weakness, there is no definitive solution.
    Also I don’t know what kind of value google gives to a “so called” authority site.

! Ask !, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You r correct-- as I said everything is SPECULATIVE!:p Thanks for accepting the truth.

For your second point-- yeah --same logic goes.

Indeed-- I am thinking of doing an experiement like John did with Free and Paid directories.

Once my present set-up is complete-- I'll try to open 2 similiar sites. Will submit them to 10 authority sites on my list and 10 high value non-authority directories. I'll optimize the same keyword/phrase.

what I gather now is -the site I'll submit to 10 authority site will win by 150 position on serps though it will be listed on PR0/1/2/3 pages and will get PR3/4/5 pages on non-authority directories.:cool:

To me a PR5 listing on any site bears less value than a PR0 listing on an authority site. But as always-- just my personal 2 PAISA.:p

@ ! Ask ! -- not sure how much you value Aaron Wall-- but here is an interesting case study of authority sites.

http://www.seobook.com/archives/002374.shtml

jhnrang, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  18. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    But having lots of empty categories does? Why have them if they are empty? I find it crazy that even empty categories can be awarded PR5, just shows yet another argument why PR has to go.

And yes, debate is good as long as it doesn't deteriorate into anything less. :)

The Pheonix, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  19. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    You want to add my Linkspub in there too

1935 Listings

151 Categories

Ratio 1: ~12

thx

adnan, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  20. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    They can't give content as a value ! ASK ! the stats shown by popotalk showed that. How can Google justify a PR to a blank page? Maybe even Google don't know what kind of value they give to "so called" authority sites. :eek:

The Pheonix, Aug 16, 2007 IP