1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BANS. And then what?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by monty2002, Aug 9, 2007.

Hi guys,

I've just started looking into affiliate marketing and have seen a lot of people here use Build a niche site to create their affiliate site with cj.com. A lot of people have said that they got a large amount of traffic and sales very quickly. I was wondering how people did this? A few people I have read say that in their first day they started earning money, which seems kinda unbelievable to me. So I was wondering what you did after you launched your site in terms of promotion? Did you go straight for adwords? and if so, is adwords worth it, or will you just break even at the end of it all.

Really I'm just asking how you promoted your site, because I don't want to buy BANS and then find I can't get any traffic to return my investment..

thanks

monty2002, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with BANS, it's a great product - BUT if you have a (really) basic understanding of PHP, you can put a CJ/eBay site together in about 5 mins without BANS. Learning is free :p

Kerosene, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  3. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    If they made money first day they must have had alot of traffic. This means they paid for it or advertise on free ad sites.

I would think they used pay per click ads on search engines to do it. You have to find low cost ads and try different products.

rcj662, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  4. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    IMHO you just need to build a tight site, SEO it, and wait.

Unless you really know what you're doing with AdWords/PPC, it can very rapidly turn into a bottomless pit.

Kerosene, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  5. hanji

hanji Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%.. build your own.
    hanji

hanji, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  6. calbano_18

calbano_18 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to dish out the cash for bans, but instead I learned some basics. I feel smarter, but I've only made $10 so far :( Paid for the domain yay!

calbano_18, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  7. Bearded

Bearded Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're going to buy BANS, at least buy it through your own clickbank affiliate id, so you get most of it back.

Bearded, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  8. mohms

mohms Active Member

Best Answers:
    I start with adwords on my new bans sites. Adwords usually eats about 50% of my commissions. When my site starts getting organic traffic, so I stop the adwords campaign.

I figure that is a good way to jump start traffic until your site gets picked up in the search engines, as long as you know what you are doing when it comes to adwords. I lost my ass when I first started with ppc marketing!

Also, you can put ads on craigslist or other free classified ad sites, and submit articles or interesting pages of your site to social bookmarking sites like digg to get free traffic, although it usually isnt that much.

Hope this helps!

mohms, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  9. MWD

MWD Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have several BANS websites.

BANS is great for adding content to a niche but it is no holy grail of traffic.

To drive traffic to a BANS site is just like any other SEO process. Link building, content, fresh design and patience. Patience being ranked 1. :)

MWD, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  10. pwgolfpro

pwgolfpro Peon

Best Answers:
    MWD is right. You have to do the work no matter what program you decide to use.

pwgolfpro, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  11. jonixkonios

jonixkonios Peon

Best Answers:
    @Kerosene, totally agree with you :) You are responsible for my success with php and ebay without the need of BANS :)
    Your sites are very good and the perfect example of how to win money.

@monty2002, if anyone knows a bit of php (if you don't know, please learn now!) you can make a good site withou the need of BANS. With this i'm not saying that BANS is bad, no way, BANS is a good script. But free is allways better ;)

jonixkonios, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  12. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    Good to hear that you got it all working :)

Kerosene, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  13. col

col Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought BANS a while ago just to test it. I'm starting to gain some cash from the sites now, but it has taken a while. I'm planning on creating my own script further on when I have some spare time. Caching of the eBay feeds would lower the bandwidth needs quite a bit. At the moment I've got twice as much traffic coming in as I have going out from the server.
    If you do it yourself you don't have to wait for updates... :)

col, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  14. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    Doesn't caching the feeds mean your visitors will be pulling data off your server instead of eBay's server? So you'd actually be using more bandwidth.

15. col

col Peon

Best Answers:
    As it works now your server pulls the feeds from eBay and then sends the generated html page to the visitor's browser. If the feed would be cached for lets say 15-20min, then the server wouldn't have to pull the feed for every single visitor. I believe it would make quite a difference by at least caching the feed used by the index page.

col, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  16. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    Hmmm. I had caching enabled on one of my sites - everytime my site was spidered the cached feed date would be read, refreshed, and then read again. I disabled caching and my bandwidth usage went down. ? I don't really get it.

17. mohms

mohms Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that if you have php skillz, then by all means use them to build stores! But I am curious, how long does it take you to build a store? I am learning php as I go along, but even if I was a master, I think I would still purchase BANS and use it as a template! It takes me about 20 minutes to set up a new store, plus some more if I customise it. The thing is only $97 (less if you use your clickbank hoplink :cool:) and there is no limit to the sites you can build with it. I made $97 in the first month using BANS. I think you php'ers are missing out on a great product.

mohms, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  18. col

col Peon

Best Answers:
    That sounds weird. Was the traffic still the same?

col, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  19. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    My quick and dirty stores run off about 5 files: a header.jpg, an index file, and a few txt databases for the content. Takes about 5-10 mins to create a new header img and fill in the products and keywords.

It was a new site, so the traffic has actually increased. :confused:
    I'll have a closer look at the stats from when I was caching and see just where all the bandwidth was going.

20. col

col Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it would be interesting to know since you're using a home-made script. I'd love to have a look at one of your sites which is using your script. If you don't want to post here you can send a PM.

col, Aug 16, 2007 IP