1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Markets Needs To Wake Up !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Aug 10, 2007.

Its long long overdue that the Directory Market stood proud and independent
    We need to make changes and we need to make them now!

Please take a minute to read some points I have compiled in an effort to release the Directory Market from being controlled and interferred with by the shackles and the movement restricting ankle ball and chains that are inhibiting and holding back the Directory Sector :-

Directory Market Needs Leadership and Creativity
    http://www.forplex.com/business-dir...y-market-needs-leadership-and-creativity.html

We are the masters of our own destiny and the sooner we realize this the better :cool:

britishguy, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    The times right. What do you suggest? I would like to see an Association that does represent and does promote our interests.

workshop, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  3. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    Your words reminds me of "Ant"

But it is a beginning towards a better future. Great post!

There is a lot of room for improvement for the directory business, we probably need to start doing something to create our own independence.

mywebsearches, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  4. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Great post as usual.

maldives, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nice spin Pete.

People need to think for themselves, do something different, not just copy what the big guys are doing.

mikey1090, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  6. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the 2nd or 3rd such post im reading in the last month or so!

i reiterate again,.... we here make this a charter for Directory 2.0

Regards,
    M.
    PS: Let this thread be a creative discussion and not a bashing and mudslinging one, like last time!

msolution, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  7. Providence

Providence Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post. Although there have been directories that have creating innovations to produce better values.

Providence, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  8. newsniche

newsniche Peon

Best Answers:
    There has been talk on and off about setting up some sort of Directory association. As yet I haven't seen any one set things in motion.

I for one would like to see one of the more established directory owners found the association as I would tend to trust them more. There's no point in setting up a fly by night association.

Secondly the association would need to charge a (yearly) membership fee for administration (someone has to run it) and to promote the association.

The association needs to have teeth. If a member does bad then the association needs to be seen to do something.

The association should primarily be set up to promote the directory business and it's members rather than end up just being a directory of directories that promotes itself.

There should be strict guidelines for joining. I would suggest that a directory applies then has to wait for a trial period before being accepted. This way the fly by night directories will not smear the reputation of the directories that are putting in the effort.

The association needs to be able to respond to queries from members and customers of members fairly.

Membership fees should be high enough to deter the cowboys but low enough not to exclude genuine members (hence the trial period).

newsniche, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Great article Pete, i need say nothing more, you already have. ;)

pipes, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  10. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    britishguy, good post.

I think we need to develop our own ranking system and when a directory owner meets the basic criteria their directory would start at a rank of 9/10 and go up in tenths from there. It would be a nice way to keep out QBC's and to instill some extra credibility to directory owners who offer value added features.

So a human edited directory that offers a full refund for non-accepted links and is SEO friendly and agrees to a simple charter of operation would score a 9/10 if you offer deep links your directory would score 9.1/10, if you offer a unique template and deep links (or two out of possible 10 value added features), 9.2/10, etc....etc...

IMO something like this would take away some of the dependance on third party rankings and encourage directory owners to at least have some good standards to start with. It would allow there to be a main hub/forum where real customers/submiters could voice their likes and dislikes, etc....

jg123, Aug 11, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  11. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have said in my earlier posts itself that the associations is the need of hour,But some have voiced concerns against it as there would be ego problems.

But what is the use of an association?

a)As we are still dependent upon the search engines!

I strongly feel that we need to create some thing that is not dependent upon on Search Engines.

Freewebspace, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  12. Rod_Purnell

Rod_Purnell Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent Pete!

An association is a great idea. I used to belong to ISEDN, while there was benefit in terms of linking, there was still something missing in terms of being proud to be a member. An association of reputable, recommended directories and search engines is going to be a daunting task to administrate to say the least.

Again, I wonder who would take up the challenge and more importantly who would continue to work toward the benefit of all directories which would meet the required standard?

I would certainly be interested in doing my fair share to help out to that end.

Anyway Pete! Great post!

Rod_Purnell, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  13. msolution

Best Answers:

The Best - Google/ Yahoo/ MSN
    Association - NO
    Followers - Many!

What should we do?
    1. Get rid of the negative paradigm that people have about directories being akin of link farms!

Yes, i can say that, as a newbie Directory owner, this is precisely what i had in mind about directories, untill i logged on to DP,...

2. Become more than just "Link Selling Industry", .... gang up with the knowledge/ information industry!

Give the user the Information required, Not discounts and free one weeks for other directory owners !

Dirjournal.com is the winner for the month, and this is the reason,.... its got more than just links!

Be creative,...theres another gr8 post floating around about affiliate Mod,.... we need to think outside the normal "links" thing,

these are a few! and just my 2c

Regards,
    M.

14. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of positive feedback which is needed but we still require folks to lead from the front and cast off the sheep following sheep syndrome

It's not difficult it just requires commitment, effort and focus :)

britishguy, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    heheheheh yes i think your absolutely right... mickey

Nice post i got a good chuckle from it :rolleyes:

www.wicked-dir.com and the ??? www.wicked-directory.com

@ britishguy

I can agree on this and a very nice post by you as always
    concerning whats going on in the industry.

The problem is that "most cant think for themselves" as its easier to copy
    from someone else in hopes that they get lucky in the industry when all they
    create is controversy and problems for themselves as well as others.

Personally im thinking that making a mod and keeping it to yourself is probably the
    best bet as if not you get an army of people doing exactly the same thing thinking
    it will help when it wont.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  16. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Thanks Malcolm but a lot of the credit for where the Directory Sector is today, must go down to you and many more who have campaigned and promoted the Directory Market tirelessly 365/24/7

We now need to all consolidate and collectively we can become our own Driving Force and then we can lead from the front :cool:

britishguy, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  17. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im nobody special.... :eek:

Ive always tried to do my best to "separate myself" from the others and
    do my thing just like You, !ASK!, Anon and a few others that have great
    ideas and stop at nothing to achieve their goals.

Most off us have endured much this year from "paid link scares" to others whom just want
    to try and make a name for themselves by talking crap on us when they have no vision for
    themselves and cant even rank well themselves.

The only difference is that no matter how much they try and disrupt the industry it just makes
    us that much more powerful and important to the webmaster community and backlink building.

Very soon more technology will be available that will get websites more traffic as well
    as truelly seperate ourselves from others and take those that trusted us to the top of their
    chosen search results (whether our own or any search engines).

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  18. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Ok - Lets cut the bullshit and take action,

I will start the Directory association, and then others can be part of the board.

Lets all First choose a name, then I will incorporate and get things rolling,

If you guys want change then lets do it

sundaybrew, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  19. msolution

Best Answers:
    I would like to differ on that Malcolm, As i said people outside DP,.... newbie's on the net have an impression, directories are akin to link farms, and their sole purpose being "backlink building"

Google's main purpose is search and providing search results!, does it curtail itself to search results!

Link building will always be the heart of Directories, but would one want to constrict themselves to "Link building".

We can have a fantastic Association, bbb.org is a better example here! but will we as a directory webmasters benefit only from an association!

I agree we should stand together, but again competetion brings the better of everybody!

An Accociation will get more ego's and more bashings, .... we have no dearth of that on DP as is:eek:

If this issue is tackled, an Association can go to gr8 heights!:D

M.

20. britishguy

Best Answers:
    What is clearly needed is a self identification process that ensures the benefits of the Directory fraternity are put before the innate promotion of any 3rd party tools and methods

Immaturity is no longer an excuse for propping up the Directory Sector by promoting another spurious 3rd party non event

britishguy, Aug 12, 2007 IP