1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IF you buy a link, or run a Pay only directory..Uh Oh!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by LinkGuru, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It will just list the site to make the visitor or a webmaster to feel that the site got listed ,but in actual I am also reviewing the links once in 10 daysbut I wish to review it daily but during some days there would be no submissions at all....

But not the paid links from directories! it may be sitewide links!

Freewebspace, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  2. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    After all the whole story has been written by google guys themselves. When google ranks the sites when searched on google.com on basis of backlinks pointing to them. The original concept google followed was that backlinks are like votes given to a site by other sites. So what they thought was that people would themselves link to good quality sites and hence good sites will have lot of backlinks themselves. Hence they ranked sites on basis of backlinks.

Over a period of time, the web became heavily commercialized and the concept of people giving backlinks free of cost to good sites, is no more true. But google has still sticked to the old philosophy that good sites will have lot of naturally gained backlinks and google still ranks sites based on on Inbound backlinks. In today's scenario , however good quality site you may make or have , you wont get links automatically until and unless you pay or buy them. No one is foolish enough to give away free links.

As a result however good quality site you have , you wont be able to rank well in SERPS unless you buy links from good sources. Directories are good sources to buy links and give exposure to your sites.

If we dont buy links today , our sites will not rank well no matter how good and well written content we may have or how well our sites are designed.

aditya_sfs, Aug 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  3. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    Well said!

Google's algorithm is same as it was about 7 years ago,they have not changed it much except for certain modifications!

Minstrel! I am talking about Page Rank!

compostannie likes this.
  4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    aditya_sfs is correct. Gooogle has created a playing field that is not level, the only way they can fix this is to probably completely revamp the basic building blocks of their search engines and use other criteria that does not involve backlinks.

They could hire 2,000 new employees and use human edited search results where a trained human actually visits all websites that are older then 6-months and rates and ranks them individually. This process would only cost them around 100 million dollars a year, I think they could afford it.

jg123, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    So call me foolish, I link to good sites freely from every site I have. I find it hard to believe all, or even most, links are paid for.

compostannie, Aug 5, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Cmon dude the problem is most of us really think that we are geniuses. Put it this way, before you have thought of anything that needs to be addressed the think tanks have already thought of this and is now in their logs or someone elses in that company. That is their company and that is they want to run things. You dont like it. Sorry move to the next. Thats how easy it is. That is their policy and you have yours. A lot of people did cry a river but....

@aditya

We don't buy links anymore we ask for inclusion and give coconuts, chicken, steaks or any goods in return. :D

We dont sell links we do a review for inclusion and they may give coconuts, chicken or any goods too thru paypal. :D

popotalk, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Advertising your site is fine. Don't expect those advertising links to pass PageRank or otherwise influence Google ranking. Seriously, read what Cutts has said and other Google statements on this issue. It's quite clear.

I told you to dump that idea weeks ago. You have developed a FFA directory which filters out only sites without meta tags. That's utter nonsense.

Precisely. Listen to Annie.

Google has NEVER ranked pages solely on the basis of PR.

Oh, really? Most of the links from my sites are free. It's called "organic linking".

Utter nonsense. I have never paid for a link. Ever. It's a matter of principle for me.

Total BS. Google has many algorithms and they are tweaked and modified on an ongoing basis. Where do you get this nonsense? Even your last statement makes no sense whatsoever - "they have not changed it much except for certain modifications" - what the hell does THAT mean? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Aug 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  8. LinkGuru

LinkGuru Banned

Best Answers:
    Google and other search engines mission isn't to bring you the most expensive search results...it's to bring you the most relevant. Usually this is the biggest money sites, but the paid links just completely goes against every search engine principal.

Your point about google not allowing paid links cause it's not getting any action is probably true, and it's a valid, logical point.

I view buying links as parents that do their kids science projects. Everyone knows whats going on, but no one wants to say anything. Google told the parents to stop bsing everyone and themselves. Buying these links have just created another frankenstein; buying search results is a dangerous precedent that should not be taken lightly. Five years from now when your site is super established do you want someone to come along and buy their search results from you? Now money is the standard for everything, so why should Google be different is a completely generalization sweeping bs argument. If your parents are rich and you hand in crappy work, your teacher, or at least the great teachers, which Google is striving to become, will give you a bad grade, regardless of your money. If you can't hit a fastball, money can't buy you into the lineup (unless its ungodly amount). You get the point..money isn't the end-all. Creativity, uniqueness, quality, relevancy and persistance DO count online. How can some of you support a system that allows you to buy up search results? Make all links free and we'll find out who truely is on their grind; of course you can always hire someone to submit for you but that's out of Googles control. I don't hear anyone bitching that Google brings them tons of traffic, yet you bitch when they try to make the system more credible and realistic...Truely a bunch of hypocrites. Paying for the review is your argument? Your service is merely there to beat google so you shouldn't be shocked google doesn't want to count you anymore. What is a link directory other than a watered down version of a search engine filled with manipulated anchor texts. I have submitted to over 2k directories; there is nothing special about them. Even the quality 'niche' directories have thousands of entries..so what do you do? You use the SEARCH feature on the directory...kinda sounds like a search engine doesn't it? It's a scam....If you want to make a search engine, make a search engine. I don't see Google charging me for inclusion into Google...why not? Cause they are genuinely trying to better the internets search results. It is a monster they created..they said they want to fix the problem of paying for links. I'm disgusted with paid directories; submit to a couple hundred and you realize your submitting manipulated anchor texts, and paying for Google results. Make a damn search engine niche if you feel this strong about it; your way worse than Google cause I didn't have to go to PayPal to get indexed.

LinkGuru, Aug 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  9. Freewebspace

Best Answers:
    BUS!I am talking about page rank PR -Page rank!

They are like just another Search Engine (though they give good results) but it's because of PR all the webmasters are looking towards them!

Even though PR has nothing to do with results ,most webmasters always look at PR! and not the quality of site!

As far as innermobiles.com ,I am going to add some more things rather than depending upon meta tags ! indexing the site etc.,

10. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I understand even using a no follow still counts the anchor text as a backlinks for SERP, correct? If that is the case then will stopping the flow of PR juice be enough or will gooogle be adding some new type of 'markup' to completly discount the advertising links?

jg123, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PR considerations aside, directories do indeed bring traffic. In checking my stats for the past 30 days, I see more than 150 unique visitors from directories, generating more than 675 page views. From directories, listed in my stats by name. Some of them are directories owned by DP members.

Is that just a small percentage of my total traffic? Of course. But I'm quite pleased with almost 700 page views per month from directories alone. Quite a difference from your "4 clicks a month or even a year". Why this vendetta against directories without the statistics to back it up?

Jim4767, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  12. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't talked about pagerank anywhere i guess. What i meant to say is that google judges the sites on basis of backlinks (thats true) and quality of backlinks. Google's ranking algorithm revolves around the fact that people link to high quality sites themselves. But thats no way true on today's web.

Say i have a page on Diabetes Treatment which has all kind of best methods to treat diabetes and is very well written and well designed and i want it to rank for that particular keyword Diabetes Treatment. Google will rank me only when it sees thousands of relevant pages linking one way to me. I would need thousands of links pointing to my page from relevant sites and pages. So how I expect relevant sites to link to me free of cost only because my site is quality. Infact the the mindset of today's webmasters is commercialized. Not a single person i bet will link to me unless i pay them and thats true.

You yourself tell me the solution to this problem.

aditya

aditya_sfs, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  13. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Quote from Google's "Webmaster Help Center" (http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34432&hl=en)

"How can I improve my site's ranking?
    ...In general, webmasters can improve the rank of their sites by increasing the number of high-quality sites that link to their pages....©2007 Google"

There are plenty of "high-quality sites" among the paid directories (e.g, Yahoo!) that would fulfill Google's suggestion wonderfully.

Jim4767, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  14. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Does it really work this way? Can you buy your way to page #1 for a competitive key word? I accept that Dmoz carries more weight than the rest of us because it is an Authority Site but how much weight do they really carry. Secondly things get a bit blurred when we start to migrate from this ambiguous concept of Authority Sites to sites making a lot of noise "insert smoke and mirrors" and claiming to be "quality sites".

I use the free directories and they work very well for me short term. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt you will lay claim to be an Authority Site until such time that you do have your house in order and your listings do reflect an honest genuine and personal scale of values that other users can rely on.

Is this correct?

workshop, Aug 5, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello..

Well all i can say is that in life you will have those that Hate everything that they are not part off or just run with the pack to bark up a storm...

Im not doing anything different to try and hide or show anything But will continue with my work and accepting the sites i want in my directories..

I really have no more comments concerning directory Myths,stereotypes, and snitches

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Where does one draw a line? I object to being asked to pay $50 a year for a link which offers me exactly the same benefits as a three month old directory with a newbie webmaster who is still asking questions. I just happen to think its unethical for directory owners to deliberately lead those of us who dont know any better, up the garden path.

Google feels the same way and I think that in the years to come we are going to see a lot of changes. Whats new?

Takes us right back to square one doesnt it? We just have different views on what makes a quality web site. But one question I have been begging to ask, why a directory network? Why not just one or two?

Does it really work this way? Can you buy your way to page #1 for a competitive key word? I accept that Dmoz carries more weight than the rest of us because it is an Authority Site but how much weight do they really carry. Secondly things get a bit blurred when we start to migrate from this ambiguous concept of Authority Sites to sites making a lot of noise "insert smoke and mirrors" and claiming to be "quality sites".

I use the free directories and they work very well for me short term. ;)

workshop, Aug 5, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Their is no lines to be drawn...

Submit it ..pay review fee.. and if it meets my guildlines it will go threw

Why a directory Network?

Why do you drive a Car and myself an SUV?

Can i buy my way up to the top #1 ?

Sure its called.... Google Adwords

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    oh boy! :rolleyes:

You have just said it all. I think you will find thats there is a lot more to this game than he type of car you would like to drive. But whilst on the subject and just to be precise what SUV?

workshop, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  19. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    lol exactly... why does anyone care?

I do my job and review sites thats what i do...
    I work for myself and nobody tells me what i can and cant own
    its not like ive got 100s or thousands and i handle my work load

I could build 100 more as i have domains just in idle...
    Do i build more?
    No i wait as those domains can be used for anything so
    at this time they just sit dormant...
    though i may build 50 forums next...;)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Besides authority sites such as Dmoz :rolleyes: and Yahoo :eek: back links from one directory are much the same as the next. They count and you will get to #1 if you know how to work your key word combinations. :p

workshop, Aug 6, 2007 IP