1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Editing - What's a Quality Web Directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Jul 31, 2007.

?

Have you rejected other web directories submitted to your own?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2007.
  1. No, I have not

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Yes, I have

26 vote(s)
    70.3%
  3. I thought about it

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. I wished I had

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt you need to apologize for your opinion... We all have one :)

pctec, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  2. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have voted for yes. It seems very obvious. We all want to make our directories quality, so if one is submitted without following the guidelines, it will get rejected whether it's a blog or directory.

coolsitez, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Why do we launch directories? Its certainly not for the users searching for a particular site they cant find and this is where we should start. I look for long term value, honesty is important and I get edgy when I come across a site, which as an example, only accepts the official title of the site you are submitting.
    The only question one should be asking is how long a directory is going to be around and I wouldnt put my money on sites that pour capital into promoting their directories. I dont see the point of it and figure they will eventually come to the same conclusion.

workshop, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  4. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A quality webdirectoy is one which give good value to their customers. Good value can be determined usuing PR, PS, traffic, relevency, etc.

maldives, Jul 31, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What intrigues me the most is that it appears that directory owners are quite lenient when reviewing submissions from other directory owners. Other than blatant disregard for the submission guidelines, few if any directories are not accepted.

It appears that the same standards for substantive or unique content used to judge submissions in other categories are overlooked if someone submits a directory.

Are we afraid of alienating other directory owners and DP members? Are we concerned about what others will say if we actually reject another web directory?

If I submitted 6 web sites to the business category that were very similar with the same content, most directory owners would have no problem with rejecting 5 of them for not having unique content or being mirrors, yet if I submit 6 directories with the same category structure, and listings that are all to common in every directory they'll be gladly accepted?

I'll be the first to admit that I've rejected some submissions from other directory owners here at DP. I'm sure some of you might be surprised if you knew which directories I didn't accept. At the time of submission, they didn't meet our guidelines. I offered the owner an explanation and a refund and invited them to resubmit at a later date. I know most of you would have probably told me to go screw myself, but they did resubmit and were accepted.

We all like to think that we exhibit editorial integrity by not listing certain sites or topics, yet we show little if any restraint when accepting another directory. Why?

We're all guilty of it, I just reviewed some of the directories I accepted in the past, and found one that had a total of 3 listings. Is it possible that this directory lost its DB? Sure. Is it possible that I accepted it as is? Sure.

What it tells me is that I should probably review the directories category once again, and apply the same editorial standards to these listings as I have in other categories, make any necessary adjustments and accept any criticism from owners if I remove some listings.

General topic web directories are getting a poor reputation and may be losing their appeal; I can't help but think that we are directly responsible for the current image problems.

CReed, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very true. I am as guilty as you are on this and somewhere along the line we have to start to produce REAL QUALITY.
    I guess this is the present trend. You reject directories that have been submitted you get enemies here and worse every post you make gets you a red rep.
    I was discussing this with someone or maybe that was you. :p I now don't care whether it comes from the BIG Boys or what but from now on Everyone gets a review and if it doesn't pass the standards we imply then we are sorry to REJECT their submissions. They could have an alternative options of advertisement text links or banners but getting listed is another thing. I hope the REAL Big Boys would UNDERSTAND this.
    We are afraid of retaliation and what people would say about us. Directory Owners are blind in my opinion they OFTEN prefer sites that are MOST POPULAR here rather than giving IMPORTANCE to a the EDITORIAL INTEGRITY and STANDARDS. As I have said I am guilty of this practice too but its time to make it RIGHT.
    I don't have any problem with that if any of my directories don't REALLY DESERVE IT then so be it. I am starting or already am starting to do it. I have been adding sites CONSTANTLY and it would be an UNFAIR practice that there are directories not worthy of a listing.
    This is funny that you mention this. We all hate Rand and the attack he has made but he is RIGHT to some point and REALLY it is OUR own MISBEHAVIOR towards the industry that we are painting MUD on the FACE of it but we can't see it. Others have evaluated them and you would realize that what they say is starting to be CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Right now I am reviewing sites on every category and jotting them down. It would be painful to delete these. We will still be RE-EVALUATING other options but if really there is no way we would e-mail site owners individually and let them know.

There are lot of site descriptions that say QUALITY, HIGHEST EDITORIAL INTEGRITY and STANDARDS of the Best BULL right now. You check and there is none. And we say the people criticizes are a bunch of LOSERS while they SPEAK the TRUTH. It is just difficult for us to swallow CRITICISM but we have to, its for the betterment.

There are other options to get listed as we have other networks. But the main would be generally be stricter in practice. In reference to this there is an advertising slots there that is banner and text. And this is an advance NOTICE that we hope the PUBLIC would understand.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He(Rand) is actually wrong! I will explain to you how he is wrong

here is an example:
    A quality site will get listed in all directories more than 100 but a spammy or less quality site will not get listed in more than 20 directories by this way we can really differentiate between a good site and a spammy site.

Actually the directories are very good but they need some sort of Consortium
    to consolidate it's market!There are many directories in the market (Both free and paid) but they are not together (Remember this United We stand,Divided We fall)

So we need to form some kind of association among ourselves to fight against our common enemy SEO's
    Actually most of the directories set their eyes only on search engine rankings and PR for the listings and not on traffic
    but there is something beyond that!

I would like to tell you that directories together can produce good or better results when compared to search engines.
    But this will not happen until we form some sort of Mutual understanding among us.

I am currently indexing some of the directories ,let see how it going to be.

Freewebspace, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At some point he is right. There are really CRAP directories out there.
    I am sorry as I have said if I wont UNITE. The common practice is I would be happier to do things that serves the purpose of being a web directory. Unless the unity you are asking is for the betterment of maintaining a QUALITY STANDARD and of TRUE INTEGRITY.
    You can go ahead without me. I am comfortable with what I am doing that is just PLAIN giving out the best of what I can be and that is serve the purpose.
    This is true and like I have said take a look at the imbalance of most general directories and you will figure out what I mean. The listings on internet related or business outnumbers the the less popular. What I mean is its ok but make sure there is no VOID as in 0.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Being a newbie is not always great. I joined this industry in January -and had all my directories at that time (except my sleeper).

But the thought crossed my mind few times --and I did very little. Because I myself was not sure what quality directories meant at that time. Now that its over 7 months I am in the industry- I have decided to follow a strict guidelines for all sites for my future projects. And as I always -accept-- none of my directories are of high quality as yet. But I am concentrating now. ( Will take interview of a local lad to write unique description & keywords for the categories today).

So -- I think I am right on the track-- just behind few months of you guys as I started late.

jhnrang, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  10. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From my point of view what your are doing is very good right now,

Crap directories are very easier to detect by means of an algorithim as the sites listed on it would be found only on other few directories

If a spammy site is submitted to 1000's of directories (Free and Paid)

According to me only less than 20 -100 would have accepted it. and not all the directories.

By this we can clearly differentiate between a good site and a spammy site.

Freewebspace, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you and appreciate that. Sincerity and not A** Kissing is the answer. It will take no one to nowhere. They might look good in this forum but in reality and totality it has done nothing to their growth.
    I think the ratio here is very narrow. Most are money oriented and have no experience at all in editing. Even the MOST RECOMMENDED ONES in this forum dont have any clue on TYPO. But like I said I am as guilty but I am making it right.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  12. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    CReed - thanks for starting this topic.

popotalk - thanks for your insightful comments.

I think deep down I had been worrying about this issue all along, but never verbalized it. Now that I've seen it discussed, I can see absolutely clearly that both of you are correct.

I just spent yesterday evening going through my various directory categories. I can see that I was listing pretty much any directory that submitted without a serious review. I ended up deleting approximately half of the directories that were in there and I have refunded the review fee. I still have a few more to go.

I've also deleted the 2nd page of the strongest directories list. In a way that page didn't make sense. The idea behind the list was always to recognize the best directories, not automatically to list all directories.

Obviously, it is important to apply strict editorial standards in accepting websites to a directory. I've certainly had a blind spot in this regard toward other directories and I'm glad that you have helped me recognize and remedy this.

onlinedude, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  13. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent post from a source of integrity :cool:

britishguy, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that. Heading in the right direction is an absolute way of adding more to the high standard directories out there thus minimizing the view that directories are a bunch of craps.
    I have stated that this a very painful one to do and costly at the same time but we need to do it. There are support directories in our network with less restrictive standards but big brother has to go that level.
    I saw that a while ago and makes sense now and I was adamant to comment on that since it would cause an uproar. That was part of your ticket on becoming an authority and should remain in its integrity.
    Like I said we are re-evaluating each individual category and would surely delete unnecessary listings. This may take a while and we hope if anybody gets the notice they would understand and we too would refund.

Thanks for the insight, understanding and comments.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  15. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    I personally think there are NO quality directories on the internet.

If you want to create a quality directory that would be usefull for people to use to find sites then follow these steps.

Offer no paid or free submissions..
    Make a large unique category tree covering all topics..
    Place all links yourself to quality authority sites..

Then you will have the worlds first quality directory that is worth using from a users prospective.

aaron_nimocks, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  16. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm astonished. But this is also the kind of move that gives me more confidence in a directory, and makes a listing within it that much more valuable.

Obelia, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is exactly the purpose "motivation". Everyone will know that individual directories has gained weight by means of its content and has been added. So owners will strive more to be included not just a plain pay for inclusion.

We will start reviewing the directory section in the coming days and hopefully we could weed out unnecessary listings and inform the individual owners and refund them. The other option is already stated.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont think anyone will ever notice. I also think its a mistake to talk about pay for inclusion. This should be pay for a review. There is an important difference.

workshop, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean ?
    There is no mistake and I know about what is the difference. A review is being done that what it makes it qualify. While pay for inclusion is mostly in practice right now that the mistake we had is accepting all directories even though that there were no content. So there was exactly not a review in essence. We just blindly accepted sites while we talk of quality and that should be now corrected.

My apologies.

popotalk, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say there are 'NO' quality directories, but I find it funny that some do boast about quality, and how they add sites etc etc, and yet, they aren't even the ones who added the sites. In fact, all they do is collect their 'review fees'.

It's like one month ago their directory is empty, and a month later it has a few listings in their categories, and they are suppose to be some sort of standard for quality? Ha! give me a break. :rolleyes:

@Creed

I am definitely guilty of being lenient towards my peers. It is because I do remember where and how I started out, and how I too was once in need of a break. I give what I get and I think that others are deserving of the same breaks. This is only for directories though. The likes of others are totally different.

an0n, Aug 1, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.