1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How DO I Register .edu Domain name?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by shabi1985, Jul 30, 2007.

How to Register .edu Domain name?
    Please give me information or resources links regarding this matter.
    Thanks

shabi1985, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    eddy2099, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  3. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not likely that you are able to obtain one (unless you meet the above conditions mentioned). Otherwise, everyone would be snatching them up.

ReadyToGo, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  4. whoamifooling

whoamifooling Peon

Best Answers:
    It is impossible unless you have the standards that have been mentioned above... Good luck.

whoamifooling, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  5. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Become an educational institution then you will be able to register .edu domains. Other than that, there are no other ways.

htmlindex, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  6. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    but .edu transfers can be done to anyone??

syedwasi87, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  7. lkj

lkj Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so.... you should read .edu domain name rules...

lkj, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  8. shabi1985

shabi1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your kind contribution to my question.

shabi1985, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  9. EduOrg

EduOrg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've published on this topic in the past, and as a refresher, will summarize main regulations below:

1. Current Regulations. Currently, new EDU registrations are reserved only for institutions accredited by agencies on the US Department of Education list, and the so-called EDU management organizations (e.g. University of California Reagents), that oversee multiple universities. Legally there is no geographical restriction for new EDUs, and a number of foreign universities accredited by US accrediting agencies have .EDU (e.g. www.london.edu - London Business School).

2. Grandfathered Clause. Prior to 2001, EDU domains were managed by NetworkSolutions, which had somewhat different rules than the current registrar. As a result, when the US Department of Commerce transferred the administration to Educause, they stipulated a grandfathered clause. The grandfathered clause states that any EDU registered prior to 2001 does not need to meet accreditation requirements and other post-2001 stipulations (such as the 1 name per school restriction).

As a result, there are many non-university organizations that own EDU, including high schools, museums, associations, and for-profit corporations (e.g. Montgomery Blair High School - www.mbhs.edu; J. Paul Getty Trust - www.getty.edu; Exploratorium Science Museum - www.exploratorium.edu, just to name a few).

3. How to get .EDU Unless you're an accredited school, you cannot register a new .EDU. Neither can you buy an EDU domain as they cannot be bought or sold directly, only through the transfer of organizational ownership.

Thus, an individual can only get an EDU by buying an entire school / organization, which owns a grandfathered .EDU (typically, this will be a small school that closed its doors or never took off the ground because of funding, etc.). Avg. price of these deals ~ $15-20K.

PM me if you have more questions.

EduOrg, Jul 31, 2007 IP
  10. Apartment

Apartment Peon

Best Answers:
    I need a time machine :)

Apartment, Jul 31, 2007 IP