1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stumble? Dig?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by henryzeng, Jul 29, 2007.

Hi,

I see many people do stumble and dig exchange in the freebie section. So what are they doing and why? :confused:

Thanks and sorry for my stupid question :D

henryzeng, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  2. Ponynugget

Ponynugget Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

"Stumble" is referring to Stumble Upon - users install a toolbar and click the positive review button when visiting a particular site, giving that site a higher rating, resulting in more traffic.

To digg something basically is the same concept. The more diggs an article has, the more exposed it is, and the more traffic the site (that the article links to) receives.

Ponynugget, Jul 29, 2007 IP
    henryzeng likes this.
  3. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    The idea of stumble exchange is that you will get more traffic - unfortunately if people don't add keywords to the stumble, the traffic isn't going to be as much as when people thumb something up because they actually like the content because they are interested in that subject.

It's more effective to just send a page to a stumbleupon friend interested in that topic. They will thumb it up, and then it gets sent to other people interested in that topic.

kh7, Jul 29, 2007 IP
    henryzeng likes this.
  4. henryzeng

henryzeng Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh thanks you too :)

Seems interesting. Does it work? And how effective is it?

henryzeng, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  5. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you get an active profile, which is about more than just promoting your site - stumbleupon is very effective for getting reasonably targeted traffic. For my site it's one of the top referrers.
    You can also opt for paid stumbles. Those are easier: you just pay a sum per person who stumbles your site - and the stumble staff will help with selecting proper page, subject and keyword tags to get you started.

Stumbleupon works by people recommending things to people. To get started you install the stumbleupon toolbar, tell it what subjects you are interested in - then you start stumbling by hitting the stumble button.

Check out the following two blog posts on stumbleupon:

http://www.terencechang.com/2007/07/06/stumbleupon-how-to-make-yourself-a-good-stumbler/
    http://www.doshdosh.com/a-comprehen...sive-traffic-to-your-website-and-monetize-it/

Like all social bookmarking services, digg included, it works best for people with quality sites that don't just use the service to promote their own stuff. Stumbleupon works for a wider array of subject than Digg. For my type of topics (usually religion and spirituality oriented), stumble is far better.

kh7, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  6. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Isn't it obvious?
    How about driving free traffic to their sites or even rank better in the search engines ;)

zexy, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  7. Realdeals228

Realdeals228 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I run a little stumble exchange site and I have been seeing great results. One site that averaged just 10 uniques a day now is averaging over 1000 for the week. Another got 500 uniques within 3 hours of launch. You can read more about right here:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=410762

Realdeals228, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  8. lionstail

lionstail Peon

Best Answers:
    StumbleUpon is a great way to target traffic, but as kh7 said it's probably better to send your site to stumble friends who you know will give it the thumbs up.

lionstail, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  9. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Best to go for both stumbleupon and digg.

bobchrist, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  10. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I must add that you should be careful with DIGG exchanges because they can find patterns which may lead to a ban if they find out!

8everything, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  11. aeromit

aeromit Guest

Best Answers:
    Stumble Upon is a good place to communicate and the people that come to you pages as a results of this are just bonus. I believe that if most users start using SU just to get some visitors to their web site the network will get "corrupted".

aeromit, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  12. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, I agree, once people stumble non-interesting, low quality sites, then I guess stumbling sites for fun will start to look like auto-surf sites :eek:

8everything, Jul 29, 2007 IP