1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Encrypt or Hide tracking code on CJ links? And how to protect PR?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by GreenGambler, Jul 27, 2007.

Hello,

I am new to CJ, just joined yesterday.

I've noticed that when you get the link code there are options to encrypt or hide the tracking code in the affiliate link. I am wondering if I should do this? I am thinking yes but do not know what the pros and cons are.

Also how do I make sure that my affiliate links will not hurt my sites SE rankings and PR?

Thanks for your help and time,
    GG

GreenGambler, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  2. tradeepak

tradeepak Banned

Best Answers:
    You better not do it. I dont know why.. but I dont do it.

tradeepak, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  3. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Worthless answer, are you just trying to increase your post count?

There's not much use for the encrypt function, except that it makes it harder for people to figure out what affiliate has generated the link. Advertisers & CJ still can figure it out easily, though.

As for hiding the link, it's just a javascript mouseover used to make the link look like a regular link (not an affiliate link). Kinda worthless as well.

Neither of these techniques should affect PR at all, but they also don't do much. I'd just skip using them, it's more of a nuisance to change links if you are using them (you can't just swap a link ID in the encrypted URL, you have to replace the whole URL instead).

tvmatt, Jul 28, 2007 IP
    GreenGambler likes this.
  4. GreenGambler

GreenGambler Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer tvmatt, rep added!

OK so I shouldn't use either option. What about a no follow link? Should I even bother doing it? I honestly don't understand why the SE's would lower your rank if you keep the ads to a minimum, like 3 per page. What do you think?

GreenGambler, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  5. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to ad nofollow tags to my affiliate links just for the hell of it, but I know that the Google AdWords spider doesn't obey it (the regular Google crawler may obey it, though).

I send all my affiliate links through a PHP cloaking link (just a simple PHP header location redirect). I've heard that some people script their cloaking links to redirect Google's bot elsewhere (by checking the user-agent string).

However, the easiest way to prevent Google from following your affiliate links would be to put your cloaking link in a new directory (for example, /redir/). Then block spiders from checking files located in the /redir/ directory by using a robots.txt file.

Hope this helps!

tvmatt, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  6. sagargemini

sagargemini Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with tvmatt - these options are simply useless... Do not waste your time behind these options... They do nothing, no good & no harm! For more details on link-formatting and masking, check out my blogs in my sig.

sagargemini, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  7. JodhaAkbar

JodhaAkbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I do agree with the points mentioned by tvmatt, sagargemini & others. I was trying hard to look for the code to hide affiliate tracking but later discovered that it simply is not of much use. When someone clicks on a link, s/he can anyway figure out that it is an affiliate link and s/he may feel cheated in the process. It is always better to keep the links as it is, as I have started doing so on my site Life is Delightful and I am happy that my readers are aware of the type of links on my site!

JodhaAkbar, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  8. rover3500

rover3500 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I thought the whole idea was so other affiliates can't replace your links with theirs( I don't think it would make any difference me mentioning it here).Surely if it's encrypted or/both cloaked,it would make it more of a pain to do,so not so worthit?(unless it's a moneymaker,then their nicking all your research to get these great links.Don't you try and protect it whenever possible?
    I have no idea how to do javascript or anything else mentioned here so was a bit of a wasted journey in that respect,but I had to write this.
    Thanx
    :confused:

rover3500, Nov 1, 2011 IP
  9. uleesgold

uleesgold Member

Best Answers:
    I clicked the option for encrypting link as well as hide tracing code on commission junction. It did not hide the affiliate link inside of the status window.

I think we have the right to hide the fact that we're affiliates because its not like they have to pay more because of that. But the FCC doesn't think so.

uleesgold, Nov 6, 2011 IP
  10. isme

isme Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just looking for a place to download the public encryption key for commission junction. Does anyone know where, or do they just generate the keys per user? if so where do I get access to my own public encryption key.:confused:
    If anyone wants to know why encrypt....
    I can only think of one reason- if you need to cover your identity because your links are from a service you don't want to be associated with.
    I know this post is like 7 years old ... but,
    I really don't see how other advertisers could find out who you are, the link is encrypted, tvmatt, please explain?
    The most I can see them finding out is what your other ads are.
    Realistically you cannot reverse the encryption without the private key, which only CJ.com has access to.

isme, Dec 11, 2011 IP
  11. msam029

msam029 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing to woory if CJ give u option to encrypt it will work no issue. ALso its more seccure way go ahead and do we know the result

msam029, Dec 12, 2011 IP