1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does G penalize for backlinking own sites?

Discussion in 'Google' started by DaNutz, Jul 21, 2007.

Say my web hosting server allows me to host unlimited domains:

Example1.com
    Example2.com

If I have 100's of web pages on the single server, all with non-duplicated
    content, will I get penalized if I backlink the similiar pages together,
    despite them all being hosted on same server?

DaNutz, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  2. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    They shouldn't blacklist you for the same, but that kind of links will carry very little importance. Having multiple sites on same IP range and cross linking them is bad idea.

alemcherry, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  3. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's actually not even close to true, the two have no relationship.

Look at your intent... if you are attempting to build a link farm (sites that exist for the sole purpose of generating links), then it won't matter if they are on the same server or spread across multiple servers all over the world. That whole myth about being on the same IP was something that someone on a message board came up with, not Google. While it is relatively easy for anyone at all to see which sites are on which IP addresses, Google doesn't need to rely on that at all. They can detect where link power is coming from going back several levels deep. If all linkage is coming from a small pool of links, they'll know.

If, however, you are building a network of sites that it just happens to make sense to interlink, then I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Might not want to release them all at once, overnight, since a widespread interlinking like that can trip a filter (will happen on massive subdomain growth anyways, or at least did to me), but if you launch the sites at a natural rate you should be fine.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 21, 2007 IP
    Phooey, joshbond and Jim4767 like this.
  4. heinlein99

heinlein99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Some common sense from one of the more sane posters here. :cool:

heinlein99, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  5. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with mvandemar.

oseymour, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if they are on the same server, they will not be counted as backlinks

trichnosis, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  7. DLGx

DLGx Active Member

Best Answers:
    You never know what google is doing nowadays. To be perfectly safe you should not link anywhere, in fact you should just have one blank HTML page with nothing on it. Otherwise you can just be permanently penalized or banned forever. At least with the blank white page you wont have wasted your time and you won't be disappointed.

DLGx, Jul 21, 2007 IP
    Small Fry likes this.
  8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If that were true, my sites wouldn't shoot to PR4-5 in their first updates pretty regularly. Interlinking your own sites is perfectly fine if you have relevant sites to link together, and frankly the stats are proof enough. If you run a network of sites, go ahead and link them. There's no harm whatsoever, and it can help to improve your PR as well as traffic if you do it well (and you don't need the sites on different IP addresses to do it).

jhmattern, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  9. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I try not to link to/from my sites that are unrelated but as long as they're related content I don't see any harm.

Glad I read this topic and checked out your PR blog in your siggy !! You've got it down... :D

Bryce, Jul 21, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  10. t-bo

t-bo Active Member

Best Answers:
    t-bo, Jul 21, 2007 IP
    Providence and joshbond like this.
  11. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    Kind of agree with this, as long as you arent interlinking with loads of website on the same server, you shouldnt get penlized by Se's

bacanze, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  12. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would stay away from linking them, and in case you really need to interlink them, do it only if they are related. Otherwise, I would stay away. And still if u need to, dont reciprocate links between sites you own :).

honey, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  13. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why? Why would you give out a suggestion like this? What possible experience could you have that would lead you to think you were giving out good, or in any way meaningful, advice?

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  14. FredrikMH

FredrikMH Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a difference between these two things:

- if Google handles multiple sites on same ip and dedicated ip the same
    - if Google handles linking between two sites on same ip and two sites on different ips the same.

I have not done any tests so I can't back up my statement but it's in Googles interest to find out if sites on the same ip are linking to each other and therefor decide how to value such links.

The amount of links and the quality of these links determine the value of the content on the linked page. This is how it works and if all the links to a site comes from your own sites, then it's not sure if the sites content is of any value at all.

But this doesn't mean that a link from a site to another on the same ip is useless, but most likely not worth the same as if the sites have been on two different ips.

FredrikMH, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  15. Providence

Providence Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever. I would still link to my own sites. There are a lot of sites in the shared hosts anyway.

Thanks for the matt cutts link.

Providence, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  16. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I interlink sites all the time on the same IP. My sites are PR6 (22 months old), PR5 (10 months old) and PR4 (14 months old).

The IP myth is merely that. People should focus on the things that count (onpage SEO, quality backlinks), not silly questions about linking or spreading urban legends.

guerilla, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  17. awiekupo

awiekupo Peon

Best Answers:
    I never heard about getting penalty from them by doing that..

awiekupo, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  18. DoA

DoA Peon

Best Answers:
    If they make sense to link together, then link them! If you're just linking them to gain link pop then don't bother - the links will be of very little SEO / PR value - think more of the value to the reader (which is why the page exists in the first place!)

DoA

DoA, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  19. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cross linking and C class IP ..... one of the things I haven't figured out yet. In the similar thread I have read and posted there recently, but who can really tell what Google sees?

1. Google checks IP's of websites' therefore c class IP's are important when cross linking, supposedly G would think they are all unique backlinks.

2. Since Google owns whois, there is no point of using c class IP. No benefit of cross linking.

3. The relevancy of backlinks are the only key. It doesn't matter the IPs.

coolsitez, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  20. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody has non-relevant links this would be hard to separate , we have whois data (changeable but risky if you have a problem) and the server ip ( a lot shared hostings).Imo if you do it step by step and properly you won't have any problems.But if you overdo you are at risk.

zangief, Jul 22, 2007 IP