1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is sitemap even needed?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by argothiusz, Jul 20, 2007.

When I first start out the site, I thought sitemap is very important to get most of my page index. After I got the index going, I don't even have to update my site map and google bot still crawl my site and get all the links. Even the link I haven't post up yet somehow they managed to crawl that page and index it.

So I was wondering if sitemap is really needed?

argothiusz, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  2. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you must keep your sitemap up to date. if you are not going to do this , sitemap may hurt your serp

trichnosis, Jul 21, 2007 IP
  3. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is not needed but it does help if google bot has problems navigating your internal link structure. If you have a menu with links to all your internal pages on your main page, it shouldn't be a problem but if the menu on you main page links to the landing page for different subsections in your site like my main page does, a sitemap would help a lot.

qazu, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  4. eadkung

eadkung Active Member

Best Answers:
    your sitemap helps googlebot craw your sites easier.
    without sitemap you may wait for googlebot to craw after it found links to you in other sites.
    do not for get to update your sitemap after you add pages on your site.

eadkung, Jul 22, 2007 IP
  5. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If nothing else, it will help search engines find /all/ your pages, quicker (!)

websitetools, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably not "needed", but certainly helpful.

• Your .html sitemap page helps your visitors find pages easily.

• Your .xml sitemap, created by one of the many online sitemap generator websites, helps Google find your new pages easily. Plus, in your free Google Webmaster Tools account (all should get one), you can resubmit your updated sitemap.xml to let Google know you have new pages. My experience is that resubmitting the .xml sitemap leads very soon to a Google crawl of that sitemap.

Jim4767, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  7. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller Peon

Best Answers:
    It is helpful as Googlebots use 'em. The whole purpose is to keep your site high up, cos lets face it no one looks past the first page of a search engine

ferrisbueller, Jul 23, 2007 IP
  8. KiruSoft

KiruSoft Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't need it once google indexed your pages!

KiruSoft, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  9. plepco

plepco Peon

Best Answers:
    You DO need it when your site gets big. Let's say you have a teensy 5-page site. Four of the pages are linked from the index page. Google crawls index, sees the links for the others...and finds your whole site.

One year later: you've been blogging like a madman, and now have 10,000 pages. Not all of them are referenced from the index page of course. Many of them are linked from other internal pages, and many of them are thus hard for Google to find.

What to do? Well, in order for Googlebot to make sweet love to your site you need to make it easy. A sitemap is a perfect solution: "Googlebot, please go here and here and here and here."

However you'll soon notice Googlebot ain't finding the pages lower down in your sitemap...what to do? Split the sitemap into two files. Submit each one separately. You'll soon find that a larger percentage of your internal pages have been crawled...

Thank me anytime.

plepco, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  10. mirturk

mirturk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know many people who not update sitemap and their indexing rates.

mirturk, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  11. Madmurphy

Madmurphy Active Member

Best Answers:
    The site map does not need to be updated to really affect it much if you have certain key pages in it.

Madmurphy, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  12. givancy2002

givancy2002 Peon

Best Answers:
    If your website has more than 3 level pages -- domain.com/level1/level2/.....
    then sitemap is a must. Otherwise google will only index your home page and level 1 pages.

givancy2002, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  13. argothiusz

argothiusz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now, that is what I was looking for..:)
    Thank you.

argothiusz, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  14. lajocar

lajocar Banned

Best Answers:
    It won't hurt to add a sitemap

lajocar, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  15. Madmurphy

Madmurphy Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you make a site map also sign up with google's webmaster tools.

I have noticed a big difference after submitting a site map with them so I recommend it.

Madmurphy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  16. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    A Google sitemap is not something to be extremely necessary for a successful web page getting indexed quickly, you can find so many websites, especially some older domain names being at good shape without the sitemap and yet at the top of rankings, but since it relatively is a new system, webmasters are advised to use that as many success stories are reported in indexing hard to find pages by Google.

bermuda, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  17. uditbhargava_2001

uditbhargava_2001 Banned

Best Answers:
    u should update your sitemap periodically, better for ur seo

uditbhargava_2001, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  18. zenvicky

zenvicky Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I made "http://www.example.com/sitemap.html" webpage with links of all the pages of my website and then made sitemap.xml of that webpage and submit to google sitemaps. Is it the right way to make sitemap. Or I have to enter all the urls of my website in .xml format. Thanx

zenvicky, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  19. advantage

advantage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't true if your pagerank is 4 and up. The higher your page rank - the deeper you'll get indexed.

Also depends on hour your site is structured. If your level 2 links are only on the first page - you might have trouble - but if they are sitewide - you shouldn't have any trouble having 3rd level pages indexed. If you go deeper you should try to have all 4th level links point back to their perspective third level links. They will be given more importance than sitewides within the pages of that level.

advantage, Aug 4, 2007 IP
  20. techpro

techpro Peon

Best Answers:
    The original reason for having sitemaps was to help robots find their way around a site, which they might not manage if you have a lot of Flash or use JavaScript menus. A sitemap might also reduce the resources used by a crawler that would otherwise need to crawl a database driven site to find all the pages. If you have a small-ish site and all the pages are readily found from the index page or a level or two below it, I don't see that a sitemap is necessary. Nor can I see the benefit of a Google xml sitemap over a list of URLs which is what other search engines want anyway.

There are facilities in the Google xml format to specify how often you want the robots to visit and what priority the pages should be given, but Google says that it only treats these as "hints", otherwise everyone would say their pages should have top priority and be checked every five minutes. So I wonder if it takes much notice of these values at all.

As others have said, it's the site page rank that has the greatest impact on how often the crawlers visit. And a sitemap isn't going to help with that.

techpro, Aug 6, 2007 IP