1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wikipedia work, but limited. And someone's skimming cream off it.

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by mdvaden, Jul 17, 2007.

To date, I submitted 10 of my web pages to various Wikipedia topic pages, and so far, 7 were retained and 3 were culled.

A lot of it has to do with having some content that's unique, and that doesn't get stuck in the "original research" debate.

For example, I have a page on damage to landscaping from a type of window. It's sort of a no-brainer, but a problem nobody really thinks about much. I have the only page on the web about the problem, with solutions and remedies. So my page was submitted and retained.

I wanted to see the website I Love Grants Pass (oregon) added into the Grants Pass section, but one editor is resistant. But I noticed that Portland, Oregon, includes a "Media" subheading for radio and television stations (commercial sites). So I am pressing trying to get major forums into a section like "Grants Pass" on Wikipedia using the "Media" approach. (I Love Grants Pass is not my website in any way).

There must be more angles to getting into Wikipedia that I haven't figured out yet.

I quit GIVING photos to Wikipedia. I gave one crop of a Bigfoot related photo, but not my full image, nor my videos. That way, I'm not transferring limited resources to them. That leaves them pointing to me for further documentation, not the other way around.

One reason I'm hesitant to give much to Wikipedia, is because someone is using Wikipedia to make money. Wikipedia is non-profit in a way, but my webstats are showing one or two other major websites that feed off Wikipedia for content, and reproduce the content with Google Adsense, etc..

Anyhow, Wikipedia backlinks provide me with about a 5% to 10% boost in traffic.

mdvaden, Jul 17, 2007 IP
    iMarketingGuru likes this.
  2. heinlein99

heinlein99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, other sites scrape W's content, practically mirroring it, and put ads on their sites and get indexed & make some $$$.

As far as putting more links on W - you kind of have to be sly about it, or else their software may catch on to what you are doing and put a stop to it. I'm not talking about human editors, but (I'm told) software 'triggers' that catch on to people posting their own links. Supposedly, it's against the TOS to link to one's own websites from a W. page, even though everyone knows it goes on all the bloody time.

heinlein99, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  3. skibladner

skibladner Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's just backlinks and not traffic you're interested in, you can link to your site from multiple user pages. There are no restrictions on user's own pages.

skibladner, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    One thing that also does get slight increase whether or not some editor saves or culls an "External Link" on the article, is to also put the hyperlink into the discussion page. For example, if I owned Digital point, I'd go to a web technology related Wikipedia page, and post...

"I'd like to suggest adding http://www.digitalpoint.com to the page under "External Links" or whatever.

It won't get you in the article, but many people who browse the discussion page will still visit the link. I don't do this unless I really think my pages really would add information.

That had me wondering if whoever started Wikipedia, was associated with sites that mirror it. Because.... what a great way to get thousands of free laborers and photographers giving away all their time, plus donations, and then "you just" have another website feed off of it and make tons of advertising money.

mdvaden, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  5. Andy Peters

Andy Peters Peon

Best Answers:
    I have links from over 50 wiki pages, and they provide around 30% of my traffic for one of my sites.
    Only ever had one site removed...

Andy Peters, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  6. CarTitans

CarTitans Peon

Best Answers:
    Websites like Answers dot com, that feed on wikipedia content, should get the Google duplicate content penalty, shouldn't they? Still they show up high in rankings.

CarTitans, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  7. iMarketingGuru

iMarketingGuru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow -- great Wikipedia Marketing ideas here. Just add your links to the user pages of others and add them to the discussion pages of the sites -- these ideas are great -- I'll try to think of ways to game this even more.

Wikipedia DOES institute the nofollow links, but nofollows are halved by Google and by the other SEs, they are fully indexed. Good call people, keep the ideas coming, I'll be compiling them to my Wikipedia Marketing article like crazy, if allowed. Feel free to give yourselves link love over at the article

iMarketingGuru, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  8. petemoney

petemoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree - this is excellent info.

petemoney, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  9. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    There are a lot more than just 1-2 sites reproducing Wiki's content and monetizing with AdSense, etc. ;)

zexy, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  10. skibladner

skibladner Peon

Best Answers:
    About the user pages, i mean, register your own multiple user pages, if you vandalize other people's pages they are quite likely to be angry.

Adding to the discussion pages is quite possible, if done in a discrete manner, "Hey, do you think this article is balanced or too much POV?"

skibladner, Jul 19, 2007 IP